Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Dark Knight
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'll be playing alongside the space marines against orks and chaos space marines. The only restriction is that we can't take vehicles.

HQ
Company Command Squad x2
8 plasma guns
2 carapace armor
2 camo cloaks

Elite
Storm Trooper Squad x3 (5 man squads infiltrating or deep striking)
6 plasma guns

Troop
Veteran Squad x4
12 plasma guns
4 carapace armor
4 heavy bolters
4 camo cloaks & snare mines

Platoon Command Squad x2
8 flamers

Infantry Squad x6 (30 man blob squads)
2 commissars
8 power weapons
6 grenade launchers
6 heavy bolters

Heavy Weapon Squad x5
15 missile launchers

Heavy Weapons Squad x2
6 mortars

Tactics
Build a massive line give the veterans, company command squads and heavy weapons squads the high ground. While the other squads hold the line.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i would change the plasma guns in your Storm trooper squads to Meltas and use the to go after vehicles, and drop the carapace in vets and put in LC's

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
i don't think that SWS will impact much the game. i'd seriously consider to swap them for mortar teams.

Orks will run at you en masse, so having the possibility to blast them wherever they are on the map is a huge bonus.
I'd also drop the powerfists from the commanders, and i'd consider adding cheap autocannonsto your platoons. If you plan to run them towards the orks, you're giving them the game. Moreover, a large base in h2h allows you to hit pratically with the whole squad at once.

Are your opponents allowed to bring vehicles? if they do, you might be better off with melta-stormtroopers.
(note: i haven't my codex at hand right now, i am assuming that SWS + 3x flamers comes at 50pts, and that your list comes at 2500 points sharp.)

My list:
HQ
Company Command Squad x2
8 plasma guns
2 carapace armor
2 camo cloaks

Elite
Storm Trooper Squad x3 (5 man squads infiltrating or deep striking)
4 meltaguns

Troop
Veteran Squad x4
12 plasma guns
4 carapace armor
4 Autocannons (heavy bolter if the opponent can't bring vehicles)
4 camo cloaks & snare mines

Platoon Command Squad x2
8 flamers

Infantry Squad x6 (30 man blob squads)
2 commissars
8 power weapons
6 grenade launchers
6 autocannons (heavy bolter if the opponent can't bring vehicles)

Heavy Weapon Squad x5
15 missile launchers

Heavy Weapons Squad x2
6 mortars

I've left 50 points to spare for you for some upgrades. If you wish you can drop an AC from the vets and buy another 3x mortar team or drop them all to get another 3x missiles. You can downgrade 2 of the 4 AC to mortars and buy a 3rd mortar team too (this is my personal suggestion)
Also you might leave the stormtroopers with 4x plasmaguns 2x plasma pistols and buy a meltabomb for a sarge (if there are vehicles allowed for your opponent)

I've removed the specials with flamers, the powerfists in the CCS (the orks will kill you before you'll strike the punch) and the plasmas in the stormies to add 2x HWT with mortars, 6 autocannons/heavy bolters in the gunline and 4 autocannons/heavy bolters in the veteran team

to recap you'll have:
20 BS4 plasmaguns (oh god lovely stuff)
4 BS4 deepstriking meltaguns (BEWARE: use them wisely, if there are AV14 vehicles)
2 BS4 + 6 BS3 Autocannons
2 BS4 + 9 BS3 Mortars
8 flamers
6 BS3 grenade launchers (use them in frag mode whenever possible, also against marines if you might hit 2 or more of them)
15 BS3 missile launchers (don't be lured in using krak missiles every time vs marines. Often, a frag is a better pick)

·
Shrug, k...
1,350 Posts
Before I start, it would be a little more accommodating to know what your ally is taking and what to possibly expect your opponents showing up with, as well as level of competitivity for this match-up and model/weapon availability. But if going for broke...

First of all, your list looks very short ranged and lacks the amount of numbers IG can bring in infantry lists, and because of it's short range, it seems like it'll be semi-reactive to your opponents' charges. One concern I have with this list is the Orks showing up with a shooty list filled with Lootas and Shooty Boyz and just out-ranging and out-gunning you. As well as Obliterators possibly showing up and either of those two easily picking off your HWS's with their insta-killing weapons and then slowly working over the rest of your army.

With IG in this match-up, I'd suggest concentrating more on long range firepower, leaving your Space Marine ally to handle the short game. That said, I'd drop the carapace where applied and stick with camo-cloaks. As well as put heavy weapons in whatever squads can take them.

For the CCS, drop the powerfist, as well as a majority of their plasma, in an infantry list, their primary concern is not getting too close to the enemy while staying alive long enough to throw orders at all your various infantry squads/heavy weapon squads. I'd also toss a standard bearer in with them to keep your boys from running scared, especially those Heavy Weapon Squads with Ld7. Lastly, I'd take an Officer of the Fleet to ruin any plans your opponent has of getting to you quicker than walking across the table as well as take a Master of Ordinance in each CCS because IG should be dropping pie plates where possible.

I'd drop the Storm Troopers, using their tactics to start out closer to the enemy means they'll be dead that much sooner. In their place, I'd suggest you take a Psyker Battle Squad or two, as well as Marbo. The Psykers will throw out more high-strength pie plates, as well as push away any non-fearless ork mob or non-special CSM unit. Marbo is just another cheap Pie Plate roughly where you want it to be, and if placed in a back corner, may cause one Loota squad to turn around and deal with him, otherwise you can charge them with him and force his squad to consolidate into a smaller area for your other pie plates.

Troop-wise, I suggest you unblob your infantry squads, drop the commissars and power weapons, and add heavy weapons to them. Let your SM buddy bleed in melee for you, against either Ork Boy mobs or Zerkers, your Guard won't last long anyways. Besides, you want your opponent to win combat anyways so you can keep shooting them with everything else, like those flamers and plasma. Also, your CCS can always order the broken squad back into the fight should they survive escaping the assault. Those unblobbed squads, and preferrably a few more of them from points squozed elsewhere, should be your 'hold the line'/shield/fodder units.

You can probably get away with dropping a flamer or 2 from each PCS, as well as 2 whole SWS's, and 1 HWS. Using those points for more Infantry Squads or other upgrades, maybe even giving the remaining SWS's demo charges.

Drop the carapace on the veterans, throw in heavy weapons... if points still available, Demo charges there too... basically, pie plate spam is just the recurring theme I'm going for. Alternatively, you could get away with dropping the veterans for more Platoon Guard, leaving the BS4 to your Space Marine ally.

If there is an intention of advancing and pressuring your opponents, though that may be unwise as both their armies are can be more assault-oriented than either of yours, you can always try outflanking an entire platoon/blob+sws with Al'Rahem.

Whatever you choose to do, I just can't emphasize enough focusing on long range weaponry and numbers with Infantry Guard to counter the lack of armor and mobility afforded by vehicles.

·
The Dark Knight
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes none of us can take vehicles and I have no idea what my space marine partner will take besides 3 land raiders and 3 5 man terminator squads.

·
Shrug, k...
1,350 Posts
Yes none of us can take vehicles and I have no idea what my space marine partner will take besides 3 land raiders and 3 5 man terminator squads.
But you just said no vehicles, so no Land Raiders for him.

Shrug, on what Space Marines can even take outside of something Battle Company-esque at 2500 (aside from scouts and bikes). Though, something like Vulcan w/ max thunderhammer Terminators, that would probably be one of the most annoying things for your opponents to get around.

Anyways, amass numbers, blast/flame templates/pie plates, and orders for all those lasguns and special/heavy weapons. Let your Space Marine ally worry about quality, Guard can sit back and easily bring the quantity (and the whole random speall on how that's a quality unto its own).

·
The Dark Knight
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hehe yeah I did say no vehicles. I was thinking of what he normally takes I wasn't thinking there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts