Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HQ
Codicier-terminator armour, force weapon, psychic hood, SB, Fear of the Darkness, tank hunters
128pts

4-strong terminator command squad-2x AC's, tank hunters, drop pod
262pts

Sub-Total: 390pts

Elites

Dread-Venerable, extra armour, TLLC, tank hunters, ML
170pts

Sub-Total: 170pts

Troops

5-strong terminator squad-2x AC's, tank hunters, drop pod
310pts

310pts

310pts

6-strong terminator squad-2x Cyclones, tank hunters
338pts

338pts

338pts

Sub-Total:1,944

Total: 2360pts

What should i do to get down to 2,500pts?

i will mainly be playing tau with this list, so any advice on anti-tau tactics would be appreciated
i will march the 4 termie squads(one with the master attached) across the board and shoot
the dread will cower behind cover
then once the drop pods arrive and hopefully throw his army into confusion, the draed will stop cowering and start shooting
any and all advice is welcome

· Registered
2,095 Posts
Cyclones are good, but you definetly need some assault cannons in there, preferably in the command squad and anything else in a Land Raider. So basically, for the squads in the LRs, give assault cannons, and give everyone else cyclones with tank hunters. The assautl cannons are especially good considering that you're playing tau.

Dread-Venerable, extra armour, plasmacannon
140pts

Dread-extra armour, plasmacannon
120pts

120pts
I would give the venerable dread a Lascannon rather than a plasma cannon and give it tank hunters. It'll give you an extra edge for tank hunting. Leave the other two as they are.

Since you're playing tau, I'd suggest a librarian with fear of the darkness with a command squad in a drop pod. Fear of the darkness is atrocious against tau.

There isn't much else I can say. However, when you format your list, it would be better if standard elements of the unit (like how a sergeant has a power sword) were left out. So when you say you have a 5 man terminator squad with cyclones, just say

5 man Deathwing terminator squad, 2x cyclones, tank hunters, 290 pts

Cheers!
Ezekiel1990

· Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
i plan on walking across the board and shooting the crap out of my friend, who uses A LOT of hammerheads/crisis suits/devilfishes/and broadsides
i feel that the cyclones would give me more shooting once im in range thatn the assualt cannons
i am not going to any squads in the LR's, that way if one of them explodes(which is likely)
i only lose a 290pts unit rather than 580pts and 2 units
that format sounds better than what i used
in order to do that i would need to find 20 points
i think i would rather not use a librarian because i dont really have the points to make the change
how would i edit the list without retyping it?
i would like to give the command squad 2x assualt cannons, do the same to anther squad, and then give the ven dread a TLLC and tank hunters

Nevermind i found out how to edit

· Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
You are correct. For some reason i keep thinking that the LRC's has more things than extra armour and frag assualt launchers over the regular LR. What do you think of the new list?

· Ghost of LO
4,429 Posts
HQ
Epistolary-terminator armour, force weapon, psychic hood, SB, Fear of the Darkness
143pts
This guy should only be 2 wounds, against tau.

4-strong terminator command squad-2x AC's, tank hunters
232pts
drop pod. Fear of the darkness is 5 times more powerful when its effecting 10 squads rather then 2.

Dread-Venerable, extra armour, TLLC, tank hunters
160pts
Give this dude a ML.

120pts

120pts
These wont earn there points against tau. Plasma cannons dont do much to anything in the tau list, and 12AV isnt very tough.

5-strong terminator squad-2x AC's, tank hunters
280pts
Drop pod.

5-strong terminator squad-2x Cyclones, tank hunters
290pts

290pts

290pts
Nice.

Land Raider-Power of the Machine Spirit, extra armour, smoke
258pts

Land Raider-Power of the Machine Spirit, extra armour, smoke
258pts
These are just easy victory points for tau. Dont use them.

With the changes youve made above, buy drop pods, for the 2 squads that it would be nice to have them in, then add 2/3 more of these squads:
5-strong terminator squad-2x AC's, tank hunters
280pts
+ drop pod
The reason being:

Tank hunting ACs on side armour of hammer head/devil fish:
8 shots, 5 hits, 2 glancing hits. (just under 2)

Against crisis suits: 8 shos, 4 hits, + 1 rend. 4 wounds to 3sv = 1 wound + 1 rend, total of 2 wounds.

VS

2 Cyclone shots, 1.33 hits, (basically 1) 66% chance to glance. (almost 1 glance a turn)

Again, 2 cylcone shots, 1.33 hits, basically 1, 1 wound, instant death. (so 2 wounds)

So, the assault cannons are the superior chioce, except, they are low range, this is why drop podding them works well, but you need back up from the cyclone to help keep the enemy withen that range.

3 squads of cyclones should be enough. Also, the assault cannon is cheaper for superior effect.

Finally, there are other reasons not to go all assault cannons, but the one that stands out to me the most, is that you need something to take table quarters and objectives, which long range termintors are quiet good at.

Peace

· The Fallen
7,906 Posts
Ezikiel is right, if we set asside the Larn raider question for a second, pre 4th ed and the change to ACs, your list is quite normal.

4th ed made the AC so powerful it is a must, most DW players shifted their ratio of Cyclones to Assault cannons from 3:1 to 1:3 and use their dreads for ranged stuff,
Accordingly most lists look like:

All dreads: TL las cannon, ML

All but one squads: AC
One squad:cyclone

and that is when most players use 2 dreads, for 3 the cyclone squad would go.
The Ac squads can do exactly what you are describing - walk up the filed firing, in addition ACs are better against tau armour because of the high rate of fire.

The LR issue- this is a nono, LRs are too expensive, they give you nothing that you can not get for half the price in a dread, other that a littel more resiliance. This is particularly important for DW as their basic troops are so expensive.

DW should outshoot Tau, this happens whilst the whole army walks up the field.

HQ wise, whilst a chappy and LRC are attractive, either a libby or a commander are the prefered route, the chappy option being too much of a points sink

The Commander is quite self explanatory.

The libby tends to go one of 2 routes, FOD as you have is used when deep striking, this is the more riskey option as it means teh command squad wastes turns of shooting and gets dumped in the middle of your opponents army, the other option, which is most effective against lighter troops like Tau, Eldar or IG, is to take fury of the ancients to give you a ranged attack

· Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What do you think of the revised list?
The reason i gave the Librarian an adamantine mantle was when he drop pods(along with the other guys) the braodsides will most likely shoot at him. With his mantle he can no longer be killed by instant death. I plan on attaching the master to one of the walking units.
The land raiders purpose was to keepmy opponent from devoting his firepower to more valuable units, like the termiesand dreads. Now i think the dread starting on the table will have to hide until the drop pods show up and occupy his attention.

· Ghost of LO
4,429 Posts
The reason i gave the Librarian an adamantine mantle was when he drop pods(along with the other guys) the braodsides will most likely shoot at him. With his mantle he can no longer be killed by instant death. I plan on attaching the master to one of the walking units.
Uhh no. Your termintors will absorb the firepower. Plus, most of his tanks wont be able to shoot, if you go with the list i out lined for you - having 3 drop poding squads + a dreadnought + 6 cyclones missiles, you should have no problem stopping tanks form shooting you.

Remove the adamantium mantel.

HQ
Codicier-terminator armour, force weapon, psychic hood, SB, Fear of the Darkness, Adamantine Mantle, tank hunters
158pts
The point of making him 2 wounds, it to lower his point cost, remove adamantime mantle.

Master-terminator armour, Sos, SB, Bionics, tank hunters
138pts
Nearly worthless against tau, Tau will never let you get into assault with them, unless you land withen 6"s of them. (excluding troops with jump packs, which you will never get into CC with)
Again keep your HQ as cheap as possible.
4-strong terminator command squad-2x AC's, tank hunters, drop pod
262pts
You can only put 5 men into a drop pod. So one of your commanders is going it alone, currently.

Elites

Dread-Venerable, extra armour, TLLC, tank hunters, ML
170pts
Good.

Dread-extra armour, drop pod
140pts
A dreadnought has 1 assault cannon, and effectivly 1 wound, a terminator squad has 5 wounds, and 2 assault cannons, termintors are far more effective, use termintors for this roll instead of dreadnoughts.

Dread-extra armour, drop pod
140pts
Same as above.
for 30 points more, you could ditch both of these and go with a third drop podding termintor squad.
They are way more effective at everything they do, be it CC, shooting, ect. Termintors have 3 times the firepower, and 2.5 times the assault capability, for only 30 points more. They will also never get shaken, allowing them to shoot ACs untill the last 2 are killed.

Sub-Total: 450pts

Troops

310pts
This here is very nice.
290pts

290pts

290pts
Good.
290pts
Trade this for an AC + Drop pod.

Your list is better though, keep revising!

· Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got rid of the mantle, but im still worried that the four meatshields just arent enough. My friend has three broadsides and they all hive three wounds. He also has two shield drones so they get a +2/+4 save. In close combat it works out that the squad has 11 wounds. They can also split their fire due to a multi tracker. WIth his Str 10 AP 1 twin linked blast weapons, i dont think i stand a chance.

· Ghost of LO
4,429 Posts
LoL, 3 broad side battle suits cant hurt you, just drop pod near them, I dont think they can move to fire, you could probably assault them, Since firing with them is actually worth losing them for. However, dont forget that your the most feared unit in all of warhammer 40k. (although not really, but fluff wise)

You can only have 5 members in a drop pod. So your stuck anyway.

If you want to take fire off your command squad, field more termintors.

If you can field 4 drop podding things, 2 will arrive the second turn, and the other 2 will arrive the 3rd turn, thats an insane amouth of firepower your unloading.

Anyway broadsides shooting at you = 3 shots, 2 hits, 2 wounds, 66% chances youll save 1 termintor, 1 dead termintor.

They also might have some missile pod shots, probaly wont get past your armour, you assault them, + fear of the darkness before you do, if they fall back, dont worry about them, and pick another target to shoot at, if they dont, shoot and charge them - librarain goes first, 5 attacks, 3 hits, 1 wound, they braods sides go, im not even going to bother they dont have a chance, at least 6 powerfist attacks, 3 hits, 3 wounds, 3 dead braod sides.

Shield drones fall to your shooting.

Peace

However your right you will be taking lots of casualties, but remember youll be shooting first, with your squads.

So the more drop pods you land at once, the less stuff will be shooting you in return.

· Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After looking at the stats for the braodside you are correct. I can kill them in cc. It will just take forever. The new list has four deep striking Ac squads(including the command squad), 3 cyclone squads, and the ven dread. I have 140 pts, so i could add a deepstriking dread. I dont think i shall worry about broadsides that much, although if he takes regular drones and manages to kill a termie, i am in trouble. Then he will have another turn to shoot my four termies, so i will have maybe 1 termie left. Oh i screwed up, broasides only have two wounds.

· Ghost of LO
4,429 Posts
Whats is there toughness?

Great list.

Id add 3 more termintors to the foot sluging squads in total, so they are 6 man each, that way, they need to kill 4 termintors to bring them under 50%. Much better odds of captureing objectives for you.

Although you might also consult Ezek. I suggest you do that as well.

· Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The broadsides all have T4, and Str5. The good news is the basic version has WS 2, while the squad leader has WS 3. I added the 3 termies, and i think that will work well. I am 4pts over. Any idea of what to do to get rid of the extra? Maybe get rid of tank hunters on one squad?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.