Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I guess these are some really stupid questions, but then again, I've never played a game of WH40k before. Knowing I won't ever meet most of you, there's no shame in asking.
1. Is it ok to arm your marines with a bolter and another weapons, for example a bolter and a chainsword
2. For veterans and stuff, lets say I want to make a Sternguard Veteran squad, could I use a tactical marine box and spoof it up abit? Or will some of the people I play be pissed about that?

·
Registered
579 Posts
1. Is it ok to arm your marines with a bolter and another weapons, for example a bolter and a chainsword
A little additional decoration is usually okay, but ideally your models weapons should be WYSIWYG. That particular example you gave is especially a no-no, because the chainsword would imply he has 2 close combat weapons (in addition to the pistol Tac Marines come with) and so would get an additional attack in CC. Even if you don't play the model that way, it might be confusing to opponents, and is outright illegal in a tournament.

2. For veterans and stuff, lets say I want to make a Sternguard Veteran squad, could I use a tactical marine box and spoof it up abit? Or will some of the people I play be pissed about that?
As long as they look distinct enough and are clearly different from normal tac marines you're all good. I know a few marine players who didn't really like the Sternguard models (and the price) and just decided to jazz up some tac marines. My brother cut chunks off a heavy bolter to modify as the special ammo for his sternguard.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help! A few years ago I bought a warhammer 40k kit just because I thought they looked cool. I didn't know anything about it so I put a powerfist and a bolter on the same guy, and now, I just wanted to know if I would be able to use it lol. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Well, what I said was true for regular marines, but a Sgt. can actually be equipped with a bolter and a powerfist. If you have the 5th edition marine codex, check out the Tactical Squad entry on pg. 134, it'll tell you all the options you can have on an individual marine/sgt.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My sternguard squad is a tactical squad with terminator honor shoulder pads and some of the cloth bits that come with it wrapped around each ones waist to signify that they're veterans. Since my models are mostly blue and the cloth bits are red they stand out pretty well.

·
Dark Eldar Zealot
3,699 Posts
To me the whole WYSIWYG argument about visually equipping the model is simply one method of explaining (without words) how weapons and wargear are optioned out and of course is the most popular at tournaments.

Another equally valid method of explanation is writing it on the army roster and talking about it with your opponent.

Both are 'explanations' and this is all the covered on page 47 in the rules book.

As such you could 'over arm' your models and explain with any method agreed upon about what is going to be used in THIS game.

Thanks.

·
Son of LO
3,930 Posts
I'm one of those modellers who tends to kit his models out with basically all the bits he has, so I honestly don't care what people's models look like as long as they're rules-legal and the player explains to me beforehand. Enforcing the "All tactical marines must have one bolter and nothing else" rule makes for very boring models and undermines the spirit of creative modelling.

I mean, I've got tactical marines wielding two bolters, two knives, bolters and knives, two chainswords and a bolter... I've got one guy with a grenade in each hand, I've got one guy with a chainsword for a hand and I've got a guy who stuck krak missiles to the back of his backpack in case he needs to pop a tank with his hands. They're all just tactical marines, but kitting them out like that makes them more interesting. I can refer to them as Krak Missile Guy and Chainswordhand Guy instead of "that marine" and "that other marine."

So, yeah. Model your guys however you want, so long as they're recognisable as Tactical Marines armed with bolters.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ha, thanks for all the helps guys, ze_poodle, how do your opponents react to that lol. 2 chainswords and a bolter. Nice, but yeah, thanks. But with all this, yes I've check the rule book, can a seargent weild a bolter and bolt pistol? (I really don't get the codex weapons section)

·
Registered
168 Posts
All the marine in a tactical squad are equipped with a bolter and bolt pistol including the sergeant. The sergeant may upgrade his bolter and/or his bolt pistol to other things.

Bear in mind however that you can only fire one weapon per turn.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I always thought that you didn't necessarily have to model the war gear that is automatically included with a model. It's just assumed that it is equipped on a model. For example, Chaos SM have a bolter, bolt pistol and close combat weapon, but aren't always modeled to show all three things, despite always having them(Unless otherwise replaced). I'll have to find the page in the rules.

Though, in terms of wysiwyg, you would want you Sgt. to have a powerfist and bolt pistol, not the bolter, so he can get the extra attack in CC(Pg 37 and 42 in rule book). I think this would over ride what I mention before, because the Sgt. literally replaces his boltgun for the powerfist. So therefore he wouldn't have it on him anymore. However, in friendly games, it doesn't really matter usually. Just let the people know whats going on.

·
Registered
821 Posts
In the case of a Space Marine and a Chaos Space Marine, they automatically come equipped with a bolter, bolt pistol, and CCW (a chainsword/chainaxe just being a normal CCW now, not infering any special bonuses, so it can be modeled with a bolter just fine). The powerfist entry for a sergent replaces the CCW, not the bolter. So you can model them with a powerfist holding a bolter if you wanted. The bolt pistol counts as a "pistol" weapon, which is both a ranged and CCW weapon, giving you the bonus of having an additional CCW in combat (the CCW (chainsword/knife/powerfist), and the bolt pistol (or plasma pistol, should you take that upgrade).

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
First off, the entire SM Codex is structured for characters and upgrade characters to "replace X and/or Y weapons for A,B,C,D for Z points. Tactical Sergeants come equipped with boltgun and bolt pistol; either or both of these may be exchanged.

Secondly, for those who mentioned it, powerfists do not receive the +1A granted by pistols to another CCW. So go ahead and use a powerfist/boltgun combo on your Sergeants. Both the boltgun and bolt pistol are tactically viable for a powerfist wielder. Its just a simple matter of deciding whether you prefer a pistol shot before charging, or a 24" and 12" double tap.

Reactions: BlackDragonZero

·
Registered
45 Posts
In the case of a Space Marine and a Chaos Space Marine, they automatically come equipped with a bolter, bolt pistol, and CCW (a chainsword/chainaxe just being a normal CCW now, not infering any special bonuses, so it can be modeled with a bolter just fine). The powerfist entry for a sergent replaces the CCW, not the bolter. So you can model them with a powerfist holding a bolter if you wanted. The bolt pistol counts as a "pistol" weapon, which is both a ranged and CCW weapon, giving you the bonus of having an additional CCW in combat (the CCW (chainsword/knife/powerfist), and the bolt pistol (or plasma pistol, should you take that upgrade).
In the case of a regular Space Marine, they do not come with a close combat weapon, so it does replace the bolter/bolt gun.(pg 134 in Sm Codex 5th)

First off, the entire SM Codex is structured for characters and upgrade characters to "replace X and/or Y weapons for A,B,C,D for Z points. Tactical Sergeants come equipped with boltgun and bolt pistol; either or both of these may be exchanged.

Secondly, for those who mentioned it, powerfists do not receive the +1A granted by pistols to another CCW. So go ahead and use a powerfist/boltgun combo on your Sergeants. Both the boltgun and bolt pistol are tactically viable for a powerfist wielder. Its just a simple matter of deciding whether you prefer a pistol shot before charging, or a 24" and 12" double tap.
I thought it was this way, I just didn't see the entry where they can't get the bonus +1. However I never realized it said and/or there so you could replace two on a sgt. This just opens up a whole new world for me!

G

·

Hope this doesn't sound pedantic, but it's not actually a 'double tap'. The bolter is a spray and pray weapon, the reason you get 2 shots at 12" or less is that it's assumed more shots are likely to have hit, whereas by the time they get to 24" they've spread a lot more so are less likely to hit, otherwise any soldier worth his salt would 'double tap' his weapon, it makes more sense.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
It really doesn't matter what the general fluff/logic is for Rapid Fire weapons. All that matters is that you are throwing two dice versus one.

Two shots = DOUBLE TAP.

Its just common table-top and gaming terminology.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Though, in terms of wysiwyg, you would want you Sgt. to have a powerfist and bolt pistol, not the bolter, so he can get the extra attack in CC(Pg 37 and 42 in rule book). I think this would over ride what I mention before, because the Sgt. literally replaces his boltgun for the powerfist. So therefore he wouldn't have it on him anymore. However, in friendly games, it doesn't really matter usually. Just let the people know whats going on.
As Nhyx pointed out you replace the bolt pistol with the powerfist. Furthermore, bolt pistol does not grant an extra CC attack if you're wielding a powerfist (Pg. 42 in RB ). So bolt pistol and powerfist don't really make that much sense. Only benefit is that you can shoot before you charge upon your enemy, whereas with a boltgun you cannot fire and assault (in the same turn).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts