Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off: Hello everybody, it's been a while since I've browsed around here.

Anyways...

Question 1: A unit of warriors is on the deployment line, 24 inches from an opponent. My opponent goes first and kills 5 of the warriors that I take out of the back. On my turn, 3 come back. The Necron book only states that the models stand back up in coherency. Should "stand up" be taken literally as to they get up where they died unless that would put them out of coherency then you would move them closer.

Or, can I take that as I can put them anywhere as long as they are in coherency, meaning the 3 warriors that stood up would be able to single fire their weapons 24" if I put them in the front of the unit.

Question 2: My opponent kills an entire unit of Immortals. On my turn, there aren't any Immortals within 6" to take WBB. Do the models stay there until another unit comes within range? Or will the models be removed when there aren't any eligible units within 6".

My thoughts are that the WBB roll is optional, so if you don't take it, there is no way for the models to be removed. It only says that the models are removed when you roll a 1-3. If you never roll, you can't remove them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Question 1: A unit of warriors is on the deployment line, 24 inches from an opponent. My opponent goes first and kills 5 of the warriors that I take out of the back. On my turn, 3 come back. The Necron book only states that the models stand back up in coherency. Should "stand up" be taken literally as to they get up where they died unless that would put them out of coherency then you would move them closer.

Or, can I take that as I can put them anywhere as long as they are in coherency, meaning the 3 warriors that stood up would be able to single fire their weapons 24" if I put them in the front of the unit.
They have to remain in coherency with their starting unit unless it has been destroyed and then they will join the next closes unit of the same type.

Question 2: My opponent kills an entire unit of Immortals. On my turn, there aren't any Immortals within 6" to take WBB. Do the models stay there until another unit comes within range? Or will the models be removed when there aren't any eligible units within 6".

My thoughts are that the WBB roll is optional, so if you don't take it, there is no way for the models to be removed. It only says that the models are removed when you roll a 1-3. If you never roll, you can't remove them.
remove them, WWB is not an option.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They have to remain in coherency with their starting unit unless it has been destroyed and then they will join the next closes unit of the same type.
So your saying I can stand them back up anywhere within coherency of the original unit, and not where they died?

And I am positive(though I can't quote it right now, I don't have my book with me) the codex says you may roll WBB... Because I had to discuss this with my friend when we were playing.

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
So your saying I can stand them back up anywhere within coherency of the original unit, and not where they died?

And I am positive(though I can't quote it right now, I don't have my book with me) the codex says you may roll WBB... Because I had to discuss this with my friend when we were playing.
Any necron that gets WBB stands up in coherency with the unit it should be with (which doesn't actually have to the its starting unit but I digress).

This means warriors can "leap" a couple inches here and there.

·
Registered
168 Posts
These are some interesting questions. In regard to whether Necrons can "hop" around in unit coherency, I've never entertained that idea before, however, it seems logical enough. I've always stood the guys up where they went down, but I'm sure you could move them around as long as they stay legal.

The second question about WBB has been fielded here before, I think. (And I'm never quite sure what the general consensus has been in it's regard.) I view it like this: The way a Necron is removed from play is by one of these methods.

1. Killed by power (or force) weapon/MC/something that kills it w/out armor save. (Basically following standard codex ruling)

2. Killed my mass damage (i.e. Strength of double the unit's toughness)

3. Botched VoD or other method that takes them off the edge of the table or beyond battlefield perimeters

4. Failed WBB roll.

Following this last ruling, it's possible to have a whole unit of downed Necrons unable to self-repair. There's nothing on pg. 13 of the Codex that says if a Necron can't self repair then it must be removed. It makes sense for it to stay a debris. For example, take a look at these two scenarios.

A unit of warriors finds itself completely wiped out by enemy fire. The firepower isn't enough to insta-kill them, but the whole unit is down, but there's no other warriors w/in WBB range. The downed warriors would stay as debris until the other (if any) squad of warriors got w/in WBB range. (And then the lucky warriors who would now be able to stand up would join coherency with that unit.)

Secondly, say a poor Necron squad is getting the "Iron Smack of Justice" in CC. A bunch go down and the rest flee. But no, the dice-gods are still against you as the enemy performs a perfect sweeping advance and annihilates the fleeing Necrons. Now, if by chance the Necrons that were slain in CC would have been eligible for a WBB roll, they would simply stay as debris until another squad came by and "picked them up."

Now, I may be wrong here, but that's how I view the ruling. A fluffy way to look at it is if a TS is on the field. If there are Necrons as debris on the field, the tomb spider rushes over and fixes the downed warriors up. (Following the standard Tomb Spider rules as detailed in the Codex on pg. 13. I hope that clears some of the ambiguity up. I don't see anywhere stating that you can opt not to take the WBB rolls, though I could see using that as a method to get them out of CC. If that was legal, life would be very good for us Necron generals, but alas, that sounds like tweaking the rules just a little too much.

At any rate, I'll wrap up before I digress any further. I hope I helped clear the muddy muddy realm that is our illustrious WBB rule!

JR

·
for good and for awesome!
1,492 Posts
1. I agree with the concensus, there is nothing prohibiting the placement of the revived Necron.

2. This question has been done to death, I will be the first respondant to say no, you must remove them the following turn, even if they don't get a WBB roll first. The thread (linked) in mention says a lot about this, but I will summarize.

WBB is a rule that a "Necron" must first meet the criteria in order to take advantage. If it doesn't meet the criteria it is treated like any other felled unit, except it is not removed until, what I will call, "the WBB phase" of the Necron player's turn. WBB is a privilege, not a right. I used to argue for the whole "remaining debris" thing but it is rubbish in the end. Read the thread, though, it explains it more and I don't think we need to rehash it here. If anyone wants to continue on the topic, go there.

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
1. official you can do it, however I would suggest that this is power gaming, for fun games you should put them up where they went down if they can do that and maintain coherency

2. as per Kore, baically failure to meet criteria for WBB at the point where they went down is a criteria for removal, hence they leave the table. Be carefull though, WBB criteria is taken at the point of death, if he kills the imortals by shooting multiple squads at them then it is likely that some will be elligable for WBB

·
for good and for awesome!
1,492 Posts
... Be carefull though, WBB criteria is taken at the point of death, if he kills the imortals by shooting multiple squads at them then it is likely that some will be elligable for WBB
Not quite. The check for RO coverage is determined at death, but meeting the WBB criteria is done just before all rolling for WBB begins. Otherwise, one could claim that the first 3 Warriors, in a sqaud of 10, downed by enemy fire all met the criteria at the point of death. When the remaining 7 are downed by other shooting/combat those original 3 could claim WBB since, at the point of death, they met the criteria. That could be abused to no end.

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
Kore, open to references, but not seen anything that overtly and explicity states the WBB, the RO from the FAQ is the closest I am aware of, which admitedly referes to RO for WBB but the inference is clear, have I missed something?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.