1 LS Tornado (Fast Attack)

Assault Cannon; Heavy Bolter

1 Dreadnought (Elites)
Front Armour: 12; Side Armour: 12; Rear Armour: 10; Dread. CC Weapon;
Storm Bolter; Assault Cannon

4 Terminator Squad (Elites)
Power Fist (x4); Storm Bolter (x2); Assault Cannon (x2)

1 Sergeant
Power Fist (x1); Storm Bolter
#Terminator Armour

1 Land Raider
Linked Lascannon (x2); Twin Heavy Bolters
#Power of the Machine Spirit

1 Predator 'Annihilator' (Heavy Support)
2 Sponson Lascannon; Turret Linked Lascannons

7 Devastator Squad (Heavy Support)

Bolter (x3); Missile Launcher (x4)

1 Sergeant
Bolter

Models in Army: 58

Total Army Cost: 2123

OK so it's long, but I just saved a text from Armybuilder and cut off the point values. This army is hovering between 2000 and 2500 points. Any suggestions to improve the list? One of my main concerns is how to equip my tactical squads. I'm also considering having the dev squad with maybe 4 Plasma Cannons instead of 4 MLs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
quick question....
What types of armies will you be playing?
That might help me to help you.
:yes: but otherwise. the list is well rounded per say.
Get back to me about the opponents.
Much appreciated

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ultramarines Army

1 Master of Sanctity (HQ)
2 Lightning Claws; Rosarius
Artificer Armour
Terminator Honours
Jump Pack

Why 2 lightning claws? or more, how? chaplains come with a crozius arcarnum, i don't think you can drop that. One claw is fine, but i'd go with a bolt pistol.

5 Tactical Squad (Troops)
Bolter (x4); Lascannon (x1)

1 Sergeant
Bolter

1 Sergeant
Bolter

1 Sergeant
Bolter

These three are perfect

9 Tactical Squad (Troops)
Bolter (x8 ); Meltagun (x1)

1 Sergeant
Bolt Pistol & CCWep.

1 Rhino APC
Storm Bolter
Smoke Launchers
Extra Armour

Since the new rules have come out, rhinos have kinda lost their appeal (heard of a coffin on wheels?) It might survive if it can find enough terrain, or if your enemy concentrates on your land raider (very probable) I'd suggest drop podding them, and make the sergeant veteren with a power fist and bolt bistol (maybe even give them frag g's)

9 Assault Squad (Fast Attack)
Bolt Pistol & CCWep. (x7); Plasma P. & CC Wep. (x2); Close Combat Weapon;
Frag Grenades; Melta-Bombs; Jump Packs

1 Veteran Sergeant
Frag Grenades; Melta-Bombs; Jump Packs; Bolt Pistol (x1); Power Fist
(x1)

All good

cant go wrong with these

1 Dreadnought (Elites)

this dread is tooled up for CC, but it's going to be pwned by your enemies heavy weapons. give it smoke, extra armour and a drop pod. your other option is to tool it up for anti armour, but i think you have enough of that already.

1 Sergeant
#Terminator Armour

if i'm not mistaken, these are going in the land raider. the land raider can hold 5 termies, so put one extra in this squad. If you are just using the land raider as a heavy weapon platform then give the assault squad a teleport homer

1 Land Raider

i'm not very experienced in using land raiders (not owning one myself), but it's either a firebase or a transport and then a firebase and fulfills both roles superbly

To use all the lascannons, the tank cannot move. to get a decent target, the tank will always have to move (unless your playing someone really inexperienced and they decide to leave a nice juicy target in your LOS - and playing a 2000 or 2500 battle it's unlikely)
However heavy bolters are counted as defensive weapons and so can be fired even if the tank moves. also when you run out of vehicles to kill, it will kill infantry too.

1 Sergeant
Bolter

a good ratio for dev sqauds are one standard marine to every heavy weapon. one extra marine here is worth it.

Models in Army: 58

Total Army Cost: 2123

OK so it's long, but I just saved a text from Armybuilder and cut off the point values. This army is hovering between 2000 and 2500 points. Any suggestions to improve the list? One of my main concerns is how to equip my tactical squads. I'm also considering having the dev squad with maybe 4 Plasma Cannons instead of 4 MLs.

The suggestions i have made are more upgrading the army to 2500 rather than bringing it down to 2000.

This army has too much of anti tank ability (3 lascannon tac sqauds, assault sqaud with melta bombs, dev sqaud with 4 ML, pred, land raider.) Anti infantry units are tac squad, assault sqaud, termies, dread and dev squad. Vehicles only make up about 1/4 or 1/3 of an army. A bit of extra anti infantry power wouldn't go astray, so i would include a fifth tac squad: 6 marines, plasma cannon and plasma gun, 4 bolters. this unit kills enemies with good armour saves like a knife through butter. brilliant against other termies. don't risk firing the plasma gun more than twice, or it will blow. and always fire the cannon first. if you remove a model with the gun, they will take it away so that less models will fit under the template of your cannon.

Conclusion: not a bad list, but please post point values for units and advise to what armies you will be facing

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will be playing Tau, Tyranids, and possibly Necrons.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I actually almost thought nobody would reply (notice my 2 bumps?)

Anyways I've retooled my list a bit. I've replaced a few lascannons with Heavy Bolters. Also, the Dev squad does have a 1:1 ratio, just one of the marines is the sergeant. The Termie squad is also 5 guys, but 1 is the sergeant. For the Chaplain, it is possible to have 2 Lightning Claws. It doesn't say you can't replace the Crozius, right? He will be attached to my assault squad for uber assault slaughter.

The sergeant on that 9 man tac squad is supposed to have a Power Fist and a Bolt Pistol, I forgot to switch it in.

My changes, so that I don't have to post it all again:

I replaced 2 Tac Squad LCs with HBs.
I gave the 9 man Tac Squad Sergeant a Power Fist and BP.
I replaced the Meltagun on the 9 man Tac Squad with a Plasma Rifle (Better for anti infantry)
I gave the Dreadnought a Drop Pod and Smoke Launchers. (No need for extra armor, really)
I gave the Predator HB sponsons rather than LC (I'll experiment with that)

I'm keeping the Rhino because my strategy is to send as many units charging at the enemy as possible, so that they will have a tough decision as to what to shoot. Everything is a threat. My Land Raider will have 5 termies in it. The Rhino will have a full Tactical Squad ready to slaughter infantry. The Land Raider might even be hiding the Assault Squad behind it. And I have my Land Speeders zooming at him. And I have a Dreadnought ready to drop in. And I have a Predator that's shooting at him. You try picking a target! :wacko:

I don't feel that I need another tactical squad. I'll add it in later if the need arises.

·
Dawn Under Heaven
2,971 Posts
gundamfan said:
I'm keeping the Rhino because my strategy is to send as many units charging at the enemy as possible, so that they will have a tough decision as to what to shoot. Everything is a threat. My Land Raider will have 5 termies in it. The Rhino will have a full Tactical Squad ready to slaughter infantry. The Land Raider might even be hiding the Assault Squad behind it. And I have my Land Speeders zooming at him. And I have a Dreadnought ready to drop in. And I have a Predator that's shooting at him. You try picking a target! :wacko:
OfCourse the rhino is a threat, but let me tell you it's an easily delt with threat.

One or two autocannons and... Bang! Threat neutralised without even wasting a Lascannon shot, which are now being aimed at the Landraider.

With the coming of 4th ed rhinos became rolling deathtraps, lucky you guys were gifted with Drop Pods, those are nice.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm, I think I may experiment with Rhinos and Drop Pods over a few battles once I get my army ready (which will be in a very, very long time, actually).

I'm also considering replacing the Missile Launchers in my Devastator Squad with Plasma Cannons, or perhaps a different weapon. Are Plasma Cannons good? I inted to use them to burn through hordes of infantry, and possibly groups of larger Tyranids.

·
Ghost of LO
3,861 Posts
Ultramarines Army

1 Master of Sanctity (HQ)
2 Lightning Claws; Rosarius
Artificer Armour
Terminator Honours
Jump Pack
Arty armour is generally a wast of points, things that are elite enough to hurt you, will often just ignore your armour save all together anyway, things that arent, are lightly to not cause enough wounds to warrent arty armour.

Frag Grenades!
1 Sergeant
Bolter
Ok. is this a veteran sgt? IF so remove terminator honours. Add a plasma gun to this squad.

1 Sergeant
Bolter
Same as above.

1 Sergeant
Bolter
Same as above.

9 Tactical Squad (Troops)
Bolter (x8 ); Meltagun (x1)

1 Sergeant
Bolt Pistol & CCWep.

1 Rhino APC
Storm Bolter
Smoke Launchers
Extra Armour
Give your sgt a powerfist and termintor honours if you didnt make him venteran yet.
Trade the rihno for a naked drop pod. Naked = no vehicel upgrades.

9 Assault Squad (Fast Attack)
Bolt Pistol & CCWep. (x7); Plasma P. & CC Wep. (x2); Close Combat Weapon;
Frag Grenades; Melta-Bombs; Jump Packs

1 Veteran Sergeant
Frag Grenades; Melta-Bombs; Jump Packs; Bolt Pistol (x1); Power Fist
(x1)
Remove melta bombs, use guns to kill tanks, jump packs to kill troops.
Add another marine if you can find the points.

Excellent.

1 Dreadnought (Elites)
Please dont post AV of a vehicel.

Give this tank extra armour. Id also suggest a drop pod.

1 Sergeant
#Terminator Armour
I advise against these guys, way more effective units out there, exspecially if they arent occopanied by a librarain.

1 Land Raider
Landraiders are easy to pop, and dont have the shooty power to make up there points, ditch it.
Id ditch this to, its extreamily easy to stop it from shooting, it dies easy, and it cant move and shoot with full effect.

1 Sergeant
Bolter
Remove termintor honours if given, otherwise perfect.

OK so it's long, but I just saved a text from Armybuilder and cut off the point values. This army is hovering between 2000 and 2500 points.
I suggest in that case, that you ditch a single termintors, a buy a librarain HQ with fear of the darkness. Then make a drop pod for them.

This squad works wounders.

Then add in, 2 more squads, with the melta gun and drop pod tactical squads.

10 man, 1 melta gun, 1 sgt powerfist + bolt pistol, rest bolters.

I'm also considering having the dev squad with maybe 4 Plasma Cannons instead of 4 MLs.
Dont do that, if you want more firepower, add another squad of MLs.

Have you considered being DAs? you get a free ability intractable, which will help all your shooty units.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
It is perfectly legal to field a chaplain with twin lightning claws. It's just a little wasteful and you lose the crozius, so that's another 10-15 pts down the drain.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts