Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would first like to say that Gintoki's War Walker/Vyper list was my inspiration for this one with some differences.

First off, the list:

Eldar - 2000 - Alpha Strike

HQ: Autarch - Mandiblaster; Power Weapon; Fusion Gun

HQ: Autarch - Power Weapon; Fusion Gun

Troops: Storm Guardians
10 Storm Guardians - Flamer x2
1 Warlock - Destructor
1 Wave Serpent - Spirit Stones; Star Engines; TL Shuriken Cannons

Troops: Storm Guardians
10 Storm Guardians - Flamer x2
1 Warlock - Destructor
1 Wave Serpent - Spirit Stones; Star Engines; TL Shuriken Cannons

Troops: Pathfinders [5]

Troops: Pathfinders [5]

Fast Attack: Vyper Squadron
1 Vyper - Missile Launcher

Heavy Support: War Walker Squadron
1 War Walker - Scatter Laser; Scatter Laser

1 War Walker - Shuriken Cannon; Shuriken Cannon

Total Roster Cost: 1999

Okay, the basic idea is a massive turn 2 Alpha Strike. No War Walkers or Vypers start on the board. War Walkers outflank and Vypers come in from reserve. The Autarchs provide the reserve bonuses to pretty much guarantee their arrival on turn 2. The goal is for a large first strike against priority targets with all the Vypers and War Walkers. Most likely that would be to a single flank, based on where the War Walkers arrive. On average I should get at least two squads of them to the flank I need them on.

The Vypers carry all EMLs to keep them at range and to bring down AV or other possible Heavy Weapons that can reach them, and as a secondary throw lots and lots of blast templates on infantry. Walkers concentrate on rear AV or infantry that are close to them.

The Autarchs can bring down an LR if needed in a concentrated strike while the SG squads tear up anything that pops out. Or shift enemy troops off of objectives.

Pathfinders can act as bait in the first two turns, hold objectives, and act as MC killers.

Star Engines on the Serpents give them a secondary use as I can move to cover Vyper squadrons after they have fired in the shooting phase.

Thia list wouldn't do too well against lists with 4-5 Land Raiders in it, but I think most other lists it will have enough speed and punch to be competitive.

Again, I give Gintoki the credit for the idea, I'm just modifying it to my own ends. Comments and critique always welcome =)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I liked the concept behind Gintoki's list, but this one looks much more competitive. I like it a lot.

Star Engines on the Serpents give them a secondary use as I can move to cover Vyper squadrons after they have fired in the shooting phase.
I never thought of this, that's a brilliant tactic. Reminds me of crystal targeting matrix. Rep for a good idea.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hrrm, it does look like a fun list to play I'll give you that, and at my local store it'd do fantastic. I just see you having trouble with massed tank lists, lots of russes, land raiders, that sort of thing, as unless i'm missing something i see only two fusion guns. Of course you've got wave serpents with star engines... which is almost a guarenteed s10 hit if you have range to build up speed.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I liked the concept behind Gintoki's list, but this one looks much more competitive. I like it a lot.

I never thought of this, that's a brilliant tactic. Reminds me of crystal targeting matrix. Rep for a good idea.
Thanks Midman! That was sort of the idea, not quite as good as the ol' CTM but somewhat useful I believe.

Hrrm, it does look like a fun list to play I'll give you that, and at my local store it'd do fantastic. I just see you having trouble with massed tank lists, lots of russes, land raiders, that sort of thing, as unless i'm missing something i see only two fusion guns. Of course you've got wave serpents with star engines... which is almost a guarenteed s10 hit if you have range to build up speed.
Very true here. I did mention the trouble Land Raider heavy lists could be, but Vindicators and other tanks with AV11 on the rear would also cause some issue. Part of it depends on the opponents tactics. If they don't get their backsides off of their board edge then things will go badly.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
This is quite an interesting list. If you are rolling bad you can expect HEAVY casualties on the turn after you arrive. Unless of course you have shielded many vyper with terrain and wave serpeants and strategically got your war walkers behind cover.

I really would like to see this on the field, im excited to hear its results, do you own that many vypers and war walkers!? lol

·
Registered
154 Posts
Actually I don't see vindicators being that hard for you to kill. As if you go second, with nothing on the table then most likely they will try to either go to the center, or just get in range so that they can hurt you with their short (for tanks) range weapons, allowing you to zoom in and smack their rear with the great paddle that is an EML. Honestly though, I can see some great naval qoutes coming out of this, you know. "Ramming Speed!" and of course "I have not yet begun to fight!" I really wish I could see this in a game though, as the thought for something along these lines had crossed my mind, just with some jetbikes thrown in instead of storm guardians.

Bring a camera for a battle report?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the support with this one :)

I'm actually building up the last three Vypers currently. That and I need to paint up some more Scatter Lasers and EMLs.

The only other thing I am missing is the second Autarch, though I may proxy it for the first few games. Whatever the results, I'll post a report up, and try to get some pics for it as well. If it does well, I'll be getting another foot-slogging Autarch for my army.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.