Librarium Online Forums banner

2000 Competative First Lizardmen List

897 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  callmeHK 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The wife and I are looking at doing a combined army together. We both collect our own armies but thought this might be fun to work on together for a Christmas present.

Just got the army book. Here's our first shot at what we thought would be a strong 2k list.

Lord

Slaan Mage Priest -
Focus of Mystery - Free
Focused Rumination -
Cube of Darkness -
2x Power Stone -
BSB -
Total = 385

Heroes

Scar Vet -
Cold one -
Burning Blade of Chotec -
Shield of Mirrored Pool -
Light Armour -
Total = 160

Shink Priest -
Level 2 -
Ancient Stegadon (Engine of the Gods) -
Rod of the Storm -
Power Stone -
Total = 435

CORE

15x Saurus Warriors, FC, spears = 210

16x Skinks, 2x Kroxigor, SB, MU = 204

10x Skink skirmishers = 70

SPECIAL

15x Temple Guard, FC = 265

5x Cold One Cav, FC = 225

TOTAL = 1999

There. Hope it's all been done correctly.
Basic battle plan is to have the 3 rank and file units as our anvil while using alot of magic - either channeling through the skink priest or directly through from the slaan. Ld9 stubborn temple guard unit in the middle with the BSB. Stegadon, skirmishers and cav for flank charges. Skirmishers and cav for war machine hunting (maybe stegadon but he'll be needed close to Slaan)

Lots of magic... not looking forward to miscasting.

Tell us what you think. Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome to the lizards! they are a lot of fun to play for me, hopefully you and your wife will enjoy them as well.
I don't think we are allowed to post individual point costs for upgrades and whatnot, so a mod will have to edit that ( just so you know from here on)
Most of your list seems pretty solid, but I have found that taking rank and file skinks with kroxigors is fun, but has never done well for me. It is pretty much a free banner for your enemy.
also, the magic defense seems a bit light. taking the diadem of power instead of a power stone on your skink priest would help out here.

Otherwise looks pretty good to me. Have fun! :soldier:

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
The wife and I are looking at doing a combined army together. We both collect our own armies but thought this might be fun to work on together for a Christmas present.

Just got the army book. Here's our first shot at what we thought would be a strong 2k list.

Lord

Slaan Mage Priest
Focus of Mystery - Free
Focused Rumination
Cube of Darkness
2x Power Stone
BSB
Total = 385

Looking pretty good. I don't really know if you will need power stones on a slann. Never tried that. Perhaps you could dump these for something else.
Also, cube of darkness is a very cool item, but since you don't carry any scrolls in your list, i'dd suggest take 1 extra scroll or just swap this one out for 2 scrolls.

Heroes

Scar Vet
Cold one
Burning Blade of Chotec
Shield of Mirrored Pool
Light Armour
Total = 160

I always think shield of the mirrored pool is a complete waste of points. An enemy will cast 1 magic missle, getting it back in his own face, and after that there will never ever be another attempt to cast at the unit. So basicly the trick works only 1 time. After that he will aim for the rest of your armoy ( and you have anough potential threats. I'dd swap it out for an enchanted shield.

Also, I would like to refer you to the "equip my scar veteran" topic. It has some really nice posts with different setups.

Shink Priest
Level 2
Ancient Stegadon (Engine of the Gods)
Rod of the Storm
Power Stone
Total = 435

Haven't tried rod of the storm yet. I always run mine with the wardrum. Let us know how your priest worked out.

CORE

I normaly only take a banner. The musiscian isn't needed because you will most likely always rally with cold blooded. He can still be taken to counter the opponents musiscian in a draw, but if your short in points, drop him.

Also I don't like champions UNLESS there is a character in the unit. For this reason : 1 champion model = 24 points (12 saurus+spear + champion upgrade) @ 3 att str 4. 24 Points is also 2 saurus, @ 4 attacks str 4.

haven't tried these out. Don't really know how they do on the tabble.. They don't look any good to me on paper, but I can't tell by experiance.

SPECIAL

Nice and rock hard. You need 1 more to complete your ranks though. 16 + 4(slann base) = 20 = 3 ranks. A champion in this unit might be worth the points, but I rather just take another guard.

Take 6, with perhaps only the banner upgrade. They are used as flankers so more US and cheapness might be better.

TOTAL = 1999

There. Hope it's all been done correctly.
Basic battle plan is to have the 3 rank and file units as our anvil while using alot of magic - either channeling through the skink priest or directly through from the slaan. Ld9 stubborn temple guard unit in the middle with the BSB. Stegadon, skirmishers and cav for flank charges. Skirmishers and cav for war machine hunting (maybe stegadon but he'll be needed close to Slaan)

Lots of magic... not looking forward to miscasting.

Tell us what you think. Thanks!

Welcome to LM! Hope it helpes you out a bit. ;)

Cheers, HK.

#5 ·
The slann mage priest adds up to 430 points haha sorry for wrecking that, I personally could see how the shield could work but not with 3 blocks of infantry maybe drop the skink/kroxigors and the slann should have the magic resistance 3 discipline (unfathomable presence i think) put the scar veteran with the shield in the other unit of saurus that way it limits the enemy spell caster from casting at those two units and possibly be out of range from anything else, depends on setup really.

FC are really just a point sink if you remove all the command models including the skink ones you save approxiametly 130 points, and generally the high number of attacks and toughness aswell as the coldblooded rule is enough to keep the saurus in combat without the need for +1 combat resolution or the musician, and units that do win statistically against saurus units generally do so by a big margin.

#6 ·
Lord

Slaan Mage Priest -
Focus of Mystery - Free
Focused Rumination -
Cube of Darkness -
2x Power Stone -
BSB -
Total = 385
I think the cube is too expensive for something that will only work every other game on average. I would just take a couple dispel scrolls.

Heroes

Scar Vet -
Cold one -
Burning Blade of Chotec -
Shield of Mirrored Pool -
Light Armour -
Total = 160
I don't think your opponent will be throwing too many strength 4 magic missiles at a unit with a 2+ armour save. I would swap the shield for something else.

Shink Priest -
Level 2 -
Ancient Stegadon (Engine of the Gods) -
Rod of the Storm -
Power Stone -
Total = 435
I don't mind the setup, as you are going for offense.
CORE

You want to get up to at least 18.

Fluffy, but they really don't perform that well in my experience.

SPECIAL

Assuming the vet goes here to get them to six, this is good.
TOTAL = 1999QUOTE]

Good luck,
SirKently

#7 ·
Many thanks.

Some changes I were contemplating were taking off the cube, adding 2 scrolls instead.

For the Scar vet - changing shield for enh shield, 0+ armour save? Freaky... (5+ scales 3+ mounted, LA, 2+ and ench 0+ correct?)

Skink I was considering dropping rod and picking up war drums.

Dropping FC off saurus

Dropping both skink units and replacing them with 2 units of 10 with a kruxigor in each, 2 rangy units like this with huge move speeds and a kruxigor seem like 2 units that are both pesky and really threattening, esp if you run towards their artillery or flank charges.

adding one temple guard and maybe some saurus as well to the unit. Unfortunately I don't have my army book on me and I'm not too familiar with lizards YET to quote numbers from my head.

Thanks for the feedback!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.