Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought this one up when I saw a very nice list on another site that needed a bit of tweaking in my mind. I switched the runs around, and another couple of unit size changes, coupled with some Warmachine switching.

Without further ado:

Lord
-Shieldbearers
-Master rune of Swiftness
-Rune of Fury
-Rune of Cleaving
-Rune of Stone
-Rune of Resistance
-Sheild
273 pts
(with the Hammerers)

Runesmith
-Master Rune of Balance
-Rune of Spellbreaking
-GW
149 pts
(with the Longbeards)

Thane
-BSB
-Rune of Cleaving
-Rune of Fury
-Rune of Stone
140 pts
(with the Warriors)

19xLongbeards
-GW
-Musician
-Standard
262 pts

19xWarriors
-HW+Shield
-Musician
-Standard
186 pts

10xQuarrelers
-Musician
115 pts

10xThunderers
-Musician
145 pts

18xHammerers
-Musician
-Standard
-Rune of Battle
259 pts

10xSlayers
-Full CMD
143 pts

Bolt Thrower
-Rune of Penetrating
-Engineer
85 pts

Grudge Thrower
-Rune of Accuracy
-Engineer
120 pts

Organ Gun
120 pts

Total = 1997 pts
DD=5
Models in Army=104

Army would deploy in basic defense formation with artillery on a hill. The Thunderers and Quarrelers gaurding flanks with one also covered by the slayers.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking of having the Slayers on whichever flank is not covered by a board edge.

·
Organised Chaos
1,233 Posts
List seems solid enough with some nice blocked units and a good selection of war machines. only thing i would look into is possibly getting a ward save on your lord. No one is seriously going to put attacks on him unless they know that have a really good chance of harming him so once they're through your T5 they probably have a weapon of "no armour saves". If they cant touch your lord they will then put all the attacks on his unit instead anyway.

At the moment you have a 0+ armour save striking first at strength 5 with 5 attacks, but you are always better off with a great weapon in my opinion and experience, and striking first for a dwarf lord isn’t a big necessity unless you want to take away some possible damage to your unit before your enemy can strike. By dropping the shield and great weapon, and if you want to be really effective rune of Snorri Spangelhelm for a plus one to hit, you may not hit first but when you do hit it will normally be on 2’s, and at S6 wounding on 2’s. you even have room on your weapon after Snorri and Kragg for either Cleaving or Fury depending if you want an extra attack or strength. Getting it to all balance within you points for your lord I’ll leave to you as this is more of a suggestion than a must for your list, but if anything invest in a ward, possibly two runes of Iron instead or rune of Resistance.

BSB sounds good.

Runesmith I’d maybe drop the rune of balance and just take another Spellbreaker rune as its cheaper and more useful. If you want extra dice then maybe find some points scattered about to put magic resistance on units as they don’t run out. That will give you 4 for turning up, 1 for the Runesmith with two Spellbreaker runes, and as many magic resistance as you can afford.

I think you may fear better with just hand weapons and shields on those Longbeareds also. Its cheaper and dwarves tend to win combat not from causing damage in combat, but acting as a wall of static combat resolution as incoming enemy units are weakened by missile troops. Dwarves win through attrition and not dieing rather than causing wounds, so a 3+ save in combat is batter than being S6, especially as you risk loosing all but characters and unit champion in fighting ranks if you don’t have a high enough save.

Maybe drop the musicians from all missile troops. If someone charges and beats you in combat the unit is pretty much gone and in effective. Next turn you may rally should you not get overrun, but cant shoot, at which point you get charged next turn and are too close to get a stand and shoot reaction anyway. If anything get your Quarrellers shields for a hard as nails 4+ save in combat. Its better than a musician.

Loose the command on the slayers. Your not going to wing a combat with static combat resolution like the rest of your block units with slayers. Your also not going to run anywhere being unbreakable. You should think of slayers in one of a number of ways;
1) a speed bump.
2) a flank deterrent or war machine protectors.
3)or if your fighting a shooty army, the “weak spot” in your force.
Don’t get me wrong I love these little hairy ginger guys but they’re not worth a standard which will often just give your opponent an extra 100pts, nor a musician to win combats in case of a draw, (once again you don’t care). Your best option is get 2 or 3 Giant slayers in the front rank and be uber hard, especially as you remove troll slayers first unless your opponent specifically targets the giant slayers.

Everything else seems a solid choice.

Hope you find this more of a help than a hindrance,

Salthrock36.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.