Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here's an amy I've been working on. In two 500pt sections and then a final 100pts. Obviously that makes it hard to help too much, so give advice regardless of points costs and I'll jam things in where I can!

It's supposed to be a Talabecland army. Oh, and I just don't like the Greatswords models, so that's why there's none of them in the list! I'll get the fluff nailed down once the units are settled.

Warrior Priest, Great Weapon, Heavy Armour - 98
Spearmen (x19) Full Command - 115
- Crossbowmen (x5) - 40
- Crossbowmen (x5) - 40
Handgunners (x10) Marksman, Hochland Long Rifle - 105
Pistoliers (x5) Musician - 97
495pts
Captain, Battle Standard, Armour Of Meteoric Iron - 100
Swordsmen (x19) Full Command - 139
- Halberdiers (x5) - 25
- Halberdiers (x5) - 25
Huntsmen (x10) - 100
Hellblaster Volley Gun - 110
499pts
General, Full Plate Armour, Shield, Barded Warhorse, Sword Of Might, Talisman Of Protection - 140
Wizard, Level 2, Wizard's Staff, Dispel Scroll - 135 (either Grey or Amethyst Wizard, undecided)
Knights (x9) Full Command - 247
Great Cannon - 100
Mortar - 75
Steamtank - 300
997pts
So, any ideas? I wouldn't have minded fitting a unit of Outriders in there somewhere. Could knock the Wizard down to L1 and drop the Mortar. And I'm not too sure of the magic items my General carries.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I like the setup. I just have a few comments to add though.

No magic items? I'd rather give my WP magic items than i'd spend them on magic items for my captain. But thats jut a personal choice i guess. Also, why not mount him and throw him among the knights? That should make a pretty awesome chargepotential combo with the hatred he grants
Spearmen (x19) Full Command - 115
19 Spearmen is abit few imo. Add another five (or ten) and you'll get the full benefit from rankbonus in meleecombat. Remember you're winning on CR, so extra ranks are a good choice.
- Crossbowmen (x5) - 40
- Crossbowmen (x5) - 40
I would have united them to make 1 unit of 10 crossbowmen. Also i would have considered not having them as a detachment - they have a really long range. They should be firing as much as possible and forcing your opponent to move towards you. Halberdiers or other meleetroops work better for detachment imo.
Handgunners (x10 ) Marksman, Hochland Long Rifle - 105
While im not entirely sure about this, i think i remember reading somewhere on these forums that a HLR in a group of Marksmen was a bad choice... Something about Balistic Skill compared to that of an Outrider Champion i think? Anyway, the HLR is expensive - skip it and perhaps you can afford an extra unit somewhere?
Nice
495pts
To be honest i'd much rather have the AoMI on my WP - that captain is a BSB and not really supossed to fight. Your WP on the other hand, would be able to take of quite a few challenges if you give him the AoMI.
Swordsmen (x19) Full Command - 139
19 Swordsmen is abit few imo. Add another five (or ten) and you'll get the full benefit from rankbonus in meleecombat. Remember you're winning on CR, so extra ranks are a good choice.
- Halberdiers (x5) - 25
- Halberdiers (x5) - 25
Why not just have a single block of 10 halberdiers as a detachment? Remember that you need atleast a unitstrenght of 5 in order to get that flankbonus on CR. That means if any of your halberdiers lose just a single man, they'll be totally worthless. Unite them imo.
Huntsmen (x10 )- 100
Great choice. Love this unit for harrashment
Hellblaster Volley Gun - 110
I've actually never tried the HVG, but it seems that the chances that it'll misfire during 2nd round are pretty high (under the presumption that you've been firing it every round). Also you need to roll for hitting? That just sucks imo. I know it has a high fearfactor regarding the psycological aspect of the game. Anyway i'd rather skip it if i were you.
499pts
General, Full Plate Armour, Shield, Barded Warhorse, Sword Of Might, Talisman Of Protection - 140
Give your general an enhanced shield. That way he'll get a +0 save, which is pretty awesome. Also considering the magic items i think there is a better choice ... If you dont wanna spend the extra points, swap the talisman for a sigil of sigmar since the +6 wardsave probably wont save him anyway, and the sigil might just.
Wizard, Level 2, Wizard's Staff, Dispel Scroll - 135 (either Grey or Amethyst Wizard, undecided)
I hope you find a solution to that problem :) For other readers. Here is the thread considering this problem http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/empire/184942-placement-wizard.html
Im wondering about the full command thing. The banner isnt really nessesary, i mean - their purpose is to charge and make the enemy break in the same round. If that dont happen they're already screwed and so behind rankvise and total unitstrenghtvise that a banner for +1 CR wont help them. Also remember that the banner is 100 free VP if your opponent runs your knights down. One other thing - 9 Knights (and i guess with the general as the 10th member of that unit) might not be a really good choice either. Only the first 5 will get an attack meaning that you'll have 100+point standing in second rank just scrathing their own arses. Thats no good, no, split them up in two groups, perhaps with 6 Knights in each. That way you'll optimise.
Great Cannon - 100
*thumbs up
Mortar - 75
*thumbs up up
Steamtank - 300
*thumbs up up up!
997pts​
Overall just some minor chances. Rest is pretty good imo. Do you have some sort of idea of a tactic or any thoughts on who you're opponents are gonna be?

By the way the Talabecland-theme sounds awesome. Hope it'll turn out terrific! Im working on a Reikland-themed army myself atm :dance:

Hope it solved some problems mate

- Tash

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hope it solved some problems mate
- Tash
Solved some and caused others, heh! As always thanks for the constructive advice.

The detachments of 9 men were just due to having units of 19. But I've taken your advice and bumped the two State Troops units upto 24 (I like having a character in the unit and I like the infantry block to be perfectly square hence why I choose the amount of soliders I do!)

Some of my choices are just through personal taste - I can't imagine a big unit of Knights crashing forward without a full command group, it just doesn't fit my idea of The Empire.

I've always thought the Hochland Long Rifle is best placed on a Marksmen, especially if I go for a Celestial Wizard (that's my new thought!). I just find Outriders end up placed somewhere that I can't get to Wizards and Battle Standard Bearers.

The Helblaster was mainly used for the pychological effect it has - place it on a flank, that flank's pretty safe and the opponent has to squeeze is force into a smaller area. And then a Mortar is used! My revised list doesn't take one but that's more due to not being able to find points.

Okay, here's the new list. Feel free to pick any holes you can find in it.

Spearmen (x24) Full Command - 140
- Swordsmen (x10) - 60
Handgunners (x10) Marksmen, Hochland Long Rifle - 105
Swordsmen (x24) Full Command - 169
- Halberdiers (x10) - 50
Crossbowmen (x10) - 80
Huntsmen (x10) - 100
General, Full Plate Armour, Barded Warhorse, Enchanted Shield, Sigil Of Sigmar (Great Weapon/Lance) - 149
Wizard, Level 2, Dispel Scroll - 125
Great Cannon - 100
Mortar - 75
Steam Tank - 300
My main thoughts now are if my General should have a Lance or a Great Weapon. I have an idea for the modelling of him but it's a while off yet so any advice'd be great. Also, are Swordsmen a good detachment for my Spearmen? Or would I be better off with more Halberdiers? And is 400pts worth of General and Knights too much of a points sink?

·
Registered
530 Posts
The list looks solid. I just have some minor (almost irrelevant) things to add.

Spearmen (x24) Full Command - 140
- Swordsmen (x10 ) - 60
Swordsmen are always a good choice, parent or detachment - however you should consider changing them for free company or halberdiers perhaps (for that extra 10 points).
Handgunners (x10 ) Marksmen, Hochland Long Rifle - 105
Be sure to bless the markman with the Hammer of Sigmar blessing from the WP. That way he might actually hit something with the HLR.
Swordsmen (x24) Full Command - 169
- Halberdiers (x10 ) - 50
Crossbowmen (x10 ) - 80
Huntsmen (x10 ) - 100
General, Full Plate Armour, Barded Warhorse, Enchanted Shield, Sigil Of Sigmar (Great Weapon/Lance) - 149
Alright. This guy is abit tricky. Usually im not very happy about Generals (however i understand and fully respect this is your choice, due to the fluff-idea of a themed army). Put that aside im really not sure what to do here. You've gotten almost 1/4 of the total pointvalue of your army setup in that one unit of knights. I think i'd try and give them abit greater offensive kick in order to assure that your enemies will run away when you charge. First of all i think i'd give the general some sort of magic weapon, perhaps the Sword of Sigismund or the Sword of Fate, which is great versus strong units, or perhaps the cheaper version: Sword of Justice. My point being that your general has decent defences, but not really any nice offence. I'd give him a magic sword. But if you're not up for this i'd say equip him with a Lance, and make your warmachines attack anything with a high toughness.
Since they are at full command, have you considered giving them the Steel Banner or Banner of Daemonslayer? I think that would be a good choice considering how much this unit is worth compared to the rest of your army.
Wizard, Level 2, Dispel Scroll - 125
Great Cannon - 100
Mortar - 75
Steam Tank - 300

Overall i'd say you could spare some points, not alot tho, on reducing the knightunit and some of the detachments abit. However i respect your opinion on having squared infantryblocks.

Your General has the "Ancestral Heirloom" ability, and the BSB can carry a magical banner also. Have you considered giving them some sort of banners (even warbanners will do)?

If you need to find points you could delete the huntsmen (tho they're my personal favorites) or perhaps the crossbowmen.

Well . Its just small details atm. Nothing huge. I wish you luck on the battlefield - also - let me know how it went ;)

- Tash

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just noticed something while reading through

"Give your general an enhanced shield. That way he'll get a +0 save, which is pretty awesome."

I'm not certain but I'm pretty sure its impossible to have a 0+ save, the rules say 1+ is best you can ever get, otherwise I worked out a way to hypothetically have -1 save. I'm not 100% on rules, don't have rulebook with me, but that's the way I've always had it!

Also if I'm buying a magic item for a character with excellent armour save already I'm gonna buy a better ward save or weapon or something.

I would give the general:
Warhorse
Barding
Shield,
Full Plate armour
Shroud of Magnus (for Ward save and better magic protection for the expensive unit of knights)
Sword of Justice

This gives a great save in shooting and best you can get in combat (handweapon and shield). You have a much better chance of wounding, your unit can resist magic well and if hit by cannonball etc you can still get a 1/3 chance of save.

The rest sound quite good, never be afraid of leaving shooty Detachments on their own to shoot. Definitely don't use Helblaster, I love them from old rules, but you really have to hold fire until best moment now or it'll blow up in your face. Consider giving knights standard (Ancestral Heirloom of General is half point of taking him-otherwise why not get Templar Grand Master to lead the knights and say he is a skilled swordsman?) I personally like using witchhunter model with Warrior Priest rules to add atmosphere to some games.

With the Wizard, I either play as scroll caddy with 2 scrolls or go offensive with grey wand etc, if you really don't like a spell consider getting seal of destruction and destroying the spell.

I can't work out what the huntsmen are doing to disrupt the enemy consider dropping them to archers and making them 8 man detachment to spearmen (it saves points for more magic items for general and they can move and give supporting fire to spearmen

·
Registered
530 Posts
Just noticed something while reading through

"Give your general an enhanced shield. That way he'll get a +0 save, which is pretty awesome."

I'm not certain but I'm pretty sure its impossible to have a 0+ save, the rules say 1+ is best you can ever get, otherwise I worked out a way to hypothetically have -1 save. I'm not 100% on rules, don't have rulebook with me, but that's the way I've always had it!
Well im new to the rules, but i think im correct. The rules state: "Magic armour is one way to improve the wearer's armour save to +1 or even less!" (p. 30 ). I've read somewhere that its possible for some DarkElf characters to get a -3 Armour Save vs ranged attacks - damned elves!
Anyway the only thing a +0 Armour Save would do is giving the character an advantage against enemies with save modifiers (for example S4 units). Keep in mind tho, that a roll of 1 is always a fail AND that theres alot of spells/attacks out there that completely ignores armour saves.

- Tash

edit: The huntsmen is a cheap way of getting a unit with great possibilities for harrashing/ marchblocking or even making a flank attack. Just slowing the opponent in one flank while your knights clean up the other. Not to mention the psycological effect of deploying scouts against your opponent. Its a pretty standard choice as far as i understand.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I personally use skirmishes as march blockers, but thought they would be very exposed with this army with little support. I wouldn't use them to flank unless there was a good chance I could win.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I see your point Black Mamba. To be honest i've never really used huntsmen (still a warhammernoob you know), so you might be right considering that these huntsmen wont have the backup to pull of anything.. So if you end up using them anyway Alvenom, be prepared to sacrifice them i guess. Or dont bring them at all .

- Tash

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm, I still think Huntsmen give me options. They aren't a unit that'll last to the end of the game usually but get them in a wooded area and watch them annoy the enemy!

As for Black Mamba's advice against me taking a General Of The Empire - I think you might be onto something there - although I'd just replace him with a Captain. That's a few points spared for the same WS, and on horseback his Leadership isn't going to help other units too much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.