LO Zealot
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Craftworld Iyanden - Spectral Ghosts of Murekhalir

Standard Search and Destroy scenario - 2000 points
VS: Necrons

:HQ:
Farseer Murekhalir :points:62
Runes of Witnessing, Rune Armour, Close combat weapon, Shuriken pistol, Mind War

::Troops::

Ghost Squad One

5x Wraithguard
Iyanna Arienal
Wave Serpent Twin-linked Shuriken Catapults, Twin-linked Starcannons

Ghost Squad Two
5x Wraithguard
1xWarlock - CCW, SPistol, Destructor

Ghost Squad Three
5x Wraithguard

Ghost Squad Four
5x Wraithguard

::Heavy Support::

:Falcon 1:
Falcon Points: 190
Holo-field, Spirit Stone (vehicle), Pulse Laser, Starcannon, Twin-linked Shuriken Catapults

:Falcon 2:
Holo-field, Spirit Stone (vehicle), Pulse Laser, Starcannon, Twin-linked Shuriken Catapults

:Falcon 3:

Farseer
Iyanna
20x Wraithguard
7 Vehicles
4x Wave Serpants
3x Falcons

7x Star Cannons

1991/2000 Points

Overall this is rather a straightforward list. I'd put the 3 Falcons in front first, as they can handle more punishment than my Wave Serpants. My Enemies for this list would be Against Space Marines and Necrons. This is a rather basic list, Farseer is just there because I had to take one. This is my first Iyanden List.. and need some comments ^.^.

·
LO Zealot
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
heh dude read my list one more time ;) I took no bright lances at all, I dont need them at all. I feel that wraithcannons can do justice to vehicles ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I say this is a do or die list. The fact that losing any models at all may cripple the army's effectiveness in combat makes it a game of hide and seek. I see that Necrons may be the best place to try out this list. Space Marines, I question the effectiveness of this list when SM have 2k points to work with. The Wraithguard may have to consider assaulting in the last two turns or so. Either way, I say this is a risky list... fun but risky... just look at the opponent's face when he looses to 29 models :shifty:

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Murekhalir said:
heh dude read my list one more time ;) I took no bright lances at all, I dont need them at all. I feel that wraithcannons can do justice to vehicles ;)
ops sorry hehe how did that happen... :tongue:

cant believe I read bright lance and not Star cannon... I have to go to bead.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm actually somewhat surprised you don't have any wraithlords. You did well keeping with the theme of your army. I'm still not sure I wouldn't take any as they are big fire magnets (thats why I field them, they invoke fear, if they kill something thats a bonus) looks like a solid list, but as stated before, this does look like a "do or die" type of force. The other thing I might mention is your choice of destructor for your warlock's power. This is sort of a gamble for a power as normally I take my powers based on how your unit is likely to RECIEVE punishment I.E if they are going to get shot at a lot I take conceal, if they are going to be in the enemies' face and might get charged I take enhance etc... that way I increase the longevity of a costly unit. The only shortcoming is any sort of aptitude in hand to hand, but against marines/necrons you might be ok. (just watch out for command squads or honor guard or something of that sort).

·
LO Zealot
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm I might swap out all the destructors, and also take out iyanna and replace her for a standard warlock.

i'll get a list up in a sec. I'll get two lists.

·
Registered
63 Posts
WOW. That is an interesting mech-iyanden list. You will need to figure something out tactics-wise to make sure all 4 squads will be able to contribute their expensive firepower, because by presenting nothing to shoot at other than vehicles, you are very likely going to either lose at least one squad or have its transport get shot out from under it by turn 2. Personally, I'd drop one squad and either go for a couple wraithlords, or something to pump up your numbers and get in the enemy's face. Spiders and/or scorpions would do a fine job of that, but as it stands that would be a fun list to play.

·
LO Zealot
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heh well, I mean thinking of ghosts, why not zoom fast like casper right?! haha

so I revised some things...

Craftworld Iyanden - Spectral Ghosts Version 2 of Murekhalir

Standard Search and Destroy scenario - 2000 points
VS: Necrons and Space Marine

:HQ:
Farseer Murekhalir :points:62
Runes of Witnessing, Rune Armour, Close combat weapon, Shuriken pistol, Mind War

::Troops::

Mr. Ghost 1-Wraithlord
Starcannon
-130 PTS

Mr. Ghost 2-Wraithlord
Starcannon
-130 PTS

Mr. Ghost 3-Wraithlord
Starcannon
-130 PTS

Ghost Squad One
5x Wraithguard
1xWarlock - CCW, SPistol

Ghost Squad Two
5x Wraithguard
1xWarlock - CCW, SPistol

Ghost Squad Three
5x Wraithguard

::Fast Attack::

:Mr. Happy Ghost Vyper:
1x Starcannon
-65 Points

::Heavy Support::

:Falcon 1:

:Falcon 2:

:Falcon 3:

Farseer
3x Wraithlord
15x Wraithguard
1 Vyper
3x Wave Serpants
3x Falcons

10x Star Cannons

1996/2000 Points

Now this list is a little more interesting IMO.
Removed, One Ghost Squad, Took out destructors, Took out Iyanna.
I've jumped from 7 to 10 Starcannons, added vyper, and 3 Wraithlords.

Wraithlords would directly be in front start of game (so they can get as close as possible to catch up once the vehicles zoom off) And also to soak some shells, which means surival of my other things. I know vyper will die really fast, but i'll still use it for harassment, and keep it well hidden, and later on, if he wants to shoot it then let him.. (chance it wont die since its flying so fast!) but I've even more targets for him to focus on.

Tell me what you think. If not, I could take one wraithlord down, put a wave serpant, and minimum squad of howling banshees,

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think I like the second list a bit more. That one is pretty damned evil...30 starcannon shots and up to 9 pule laser shots is gonna suck if you get the first turn, for either army. You should be good for dealing with the marines, but I think the Necrons are going to be a headache between getting back up and all of their guns able to get glancing hits. Looks like a pretty intimidating, if low model count list...just pray for first turn and no escalation and you should do fine. ^_^

·
Favored of Tzeentch
3,140 Posts
I liked the first list a lot more, with the speed of those Wave Serpents you can go one and take on a part of the enemy army at a time thus negating your weakness due to lack of models... But three Wraithlords are a massive force by themselves, I just feel that they may linger behind and let the enemy deal with your force in two "waves" since Wraithlords are mainly defensive units. And Destructor is a great choice of power, Iyanden struggle against horde armies, but now when you know you'll face Marines and Necrons you could as well take enhance or conceal...

Iyanna Arienal is a good choice, take her back. :(

·
Registered
72 Posts
I like the second list more, but your army still seems somewhat fragile. Just remember (and if you read my battle report) one bad round of shooting could make things hard on you. One random Dark Eldar warrior killed about 250 points of models in one lucky shot (had to glance on a 5, and rolled a 6 for result). I would also respectfully disagree with the characterization of Wraithlords as "defensive". I use them as fire magnets and battering rams. If they are defensive they are being extremely limited in their roles. (whip out those flamers at close range and you'll see what I mean!) Just remember, every shot from their heavies that goes towards the wraithlord is one less that could take out your waveserpents and more valuable cargo. Even missiles still need a 4+ and lascannons a 3+. And when it gets closer and they realize that their bolters can't hurt it, most panic. The only downside to destructor is its limited usefulness vs marines/necrons, thats why I suggested you drop it. Sure you wound on 3's but they still get that armor save, and if they space out you might not be making them roll enough dice to get through it a few times. Just think though, one lucky shot on one of your waveserpents could net as much as 300+ points. Thats a lot. Just make sure you think in terms of a worst case scenario, just so you are prepared.

·
LO Zealot
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hmm.. Well I've have many comments all around (including other places)

Someone else has brought up to my attention, to better the survival of my transports and to also make me nasty in CC, while I'm at it.

·
Favored of Tzeentch
3,140 Posts
Just one thing: Why would they want to shoot at your Wraithlords when they can take down a 300+ pts transport as easy as taking away a single wound on the Wraithlords? (Missile Launcher)
Besides, with the Lords not being as fast as the serpents, it is simply a question of target priority: Even with the lords the serpents should be shot first.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You have a valid point, but the chance of them racking up 300pts taking out a transport is rather small unless they are firing ordinance at it (and most armies don't have it or don't use it). In my case the guy was just lucky, and I wasn't (seriously how many times to you manage to have EVERY man in a transport hit when it goes down, and then proceed to fail 4 3+saves on 6 dice?). The point I was making is that most times, people only see GIANT BIG HULKING T8 heading towards them and not consider that your squad might do more damage. Seriously, the guy devoted every heavy weapon he could maneuver in place to taking out my wraithlords when they weren't in hand to hand, and thats why I even had a shot at geting a draw out of that game instead of being slaughtered wholesale. Not to mention, a wraithlord is a bigger threat in hand to hand than a wraithguard is.

·
LO Zealot
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)

Basically, the proposed list goes like this:

HQ
-Farseer w/ Guide
-Farseer w/ Guide

Troops

-5x Wraithguard w/ Warlock, Witchblade & shuripistol, Enhance; Wave Serpent w/ linked brightlances and spirit stones
-5x Wraithguard w/ Warlock, Witchblade & shuripistol, Enhance; Wave Serpent w/ linked brightlances and spirit stones
-5x Wraithguard w/ Warlock, Witchblade (NO pistol on this one so that the points won't exceed 2,000...), Enhance; Wave Serpent w/ linked brightlances and spirit stones
-wraithlord w/ starcannon and twin flamers

Fast Attack
-Vyper w/ starcannon

Heavy Support
-Falcon w/ starcannon, holo field, spirit stone
-Falcon w/ starcannon, holo field, spirit stone

Total points: 2,000
Model count: 29
Breakdown:
2x farseers
3x warlocks
15x wraithguard
3x wraithlords
vyper
2x falcons
3x linked brightlances
6x starcannons (3 at higher BS, 2 which are Guided)

I kinda like now the idea of 3 wraithlords, They would be a large asset to the survival of my vehicles. Twin flamers makes them even more nasty, and allows me to be quite more flexible now when I am against horde armies. A little more all around ness. To better yet increase anti tanking abilities, changed all. so version 3.. might seem even better. now given each have enhance and witch blades

·
LO Zealot
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LIES! LIES I tell you....

heh so what... if its cheese... I plan to kill every necron and sm player around my area.

And others around here. Heh Who claim that Eldar Suck. Mwhahah I'll show them.. I'll show them!

(lol.. ) any more comments?

·
Favored of Tzeentch
3,140 Posts
csbassplayer said:
You have a valid point, but the chance of them racking up 300pts taking out a transport is rather small unless they are firing ordinance at it (and most armies don't have it or don't use it). In my case the guy was just lucky, and I wasn't (seriously how many times to you manage to have EVERY man in a transport hit when it goes down, and then proceed to fail 4 3+saves on 6 dice?).
Yes, but when you run out of a transport you are entangled and without protection and definately out of range. The squad will have a lot of trouble making itself useful, and is not really a threat anymore. Or at least until it reaches the enemy lines by foot, and that should take a while. The guy who panicked obviously didn't know what to do, but against a seasoned player it should be more difficult.

However, if you keep your transports behind LOS and sneaking around a bit they will have a good chance of surviving. The three Wraithlords may then proceed to threaten the enemy lines while the Wave Serpent squads move around the flanks and take down tanks and big monsters etc.

Remember to be sneaky, you have an effective 24" attack range with your Wraithguard in transports so use it wisely.

And take Destructor instead of Enhance IMO.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts