Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey im getting back into the game after 7 years and i would really appreciate it if you could tell me what you think of the list i have made and what you think it would be weak and strong against thanks.

Night goblin warboss, great cave squig, bashas axe of stunty smashing, shield, armor of fortune, dragon helm = 193

night goblin shaman, level 2 wizard, dispell scroll, channeling staff = 125

night goblin big boss, light armor, the bad moon banner = 83

20 night goblins, short bows, fanatic, musician, standard = 105

30 night goblins. netters, fanatic, musician, standard =180

30 night goblins, netters, fanatic, musician, standard = 180

40 night goblins, netters, fanatic, musician, standard = 180

8 stone trolls = 360

spear chukka

spear chukka

spear chukka

spear chukka

14 squig hoppers 168

mangler squig

mangler squig

in total if i have worked it out right its 1999 points, i like my lord to be kitted out decently even for a goblin lol.

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Hey im getting back into the game after 7 years and i would really appreciate it if you could tell me what you think of the list i have made and what you think it would be weak and strong against thanks.

Welcome back to Fantasy mate! A fair bit has changed as you may have noticed.

Night goblin warboss, great cave squig, bashas axe of stunty smashing, shield, armor of fortune, dragon helm = 193

To be honest, you want your Warboss hanging around your battle line giving them his leadership, not gallivanting around and getting himself killed. If he dies, your Trolls become useless so watch out for that. I'd also look at taking a common goblin as well for that Leadership 8. I know it's not fluffy but, hey, you can make him look like a Night Goblin!!

As for his equipment, that looks fine, but he has 2 pieces of magical armour which is a 'no go'. Save the points and get him a 'proper' ward save. Like the armour of Destiny or something.

All magic items are unique which means you can't take multiples of them. You also can't take more than one item from each magic item section. So, it's dispel scroll or Staff, not both.

night goblin big boss, light armor, the bad moon banner = 83

Is the bad moon banner worth it? Short answer is, No. If you've lost enough ranks to not be steadfast then your goblins are toast. Plus, most sensible opponents will be allocating attacks on your BSB anyway. Skip the magic banner and just give him a wardsave. A 4+ Ward should be your first port of call. You could grab the Talisman of Preservation and the charmed shield for a nice durable build.

20 night goblins, short bows, fanatic, musician, standard = 105

30 night goblins. netters, fanatic, musician, standard =180

30 night goblins, netters, fanatic, musician, standard = 180

40 night goblins, netters, fanatic, musician, standard = 180

Personally, I'd look at taking at elast 40 Goblins in a unit. They evaporate very quickly and you need to keep those ranks to bog your opponent down!

8 stone trolls = 360

Just take 8 normal Trolls. The difference between the two is minimal but the cost is. So save some points and just take normal Trolls (or take more normal trolls!)

spear chukka

spear chukka

spear chukka

spear chukka

14 squig hoppers 168

These guys are great but they die like, well, goblins. Just realise that whatever they hit is probably going to wipe them out in a turn or two (also another reason not to put your general in with them).

mangler squig

mangler squig

in total if i have worked it out right its 1999 points, i like my lord to be kitted out decently even for a goblin lol.

I'd look at getting something a bit faster in your list like Wolf Riders to hunt down enemy artillery. It will also take some heat off your Manglers as well!

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
You can, but he wont get a look out sir roll. He just needs to be within 12" of the Trolls for them to benefit from his LD though so just hide him in a unit of Goblins. If your warboss is in the NG units then he'll benefit from their nets, making him T5 pretty much.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would realy prefer to have my lord on the squig have you got any thoughts on how i could best do that as i also need him near my trolls, would i need to just have him and the squig hoppers near the trolls at all times?

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Your general can go with the Hoppers, just keep him within 12" of the Trolls and you should be fine. On average hopper movement is about the same as Trolls anyway. Although keeping all your goblin regiments within 12" of your general is going to be harder to do due to their movement and how many units you have in your army.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How does this look.

night goblin warboss, great cave squig, bashas axe of stunty smashing, shield, armour of destiny = 198
night goblin big boss, bsb, banner of discipline, light armour, = 72
night goblin shaman, level 2 wizard, dispel scroll = 110
night goblin shaman, level 2 wizard = 85

40 night goblins, netters, musician, standard, 2 fanatics = 235
40 night goblins, netters, musician, standard, 1 fanatic = 210
40 night goblins, netters, musician, standard, 1 fanatic = 210

8 trolls
14 squig hoppers
spear chukka
spear chukka

3 mangler squigs
doom diver
rock lobber

1998 points in total.

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Looks ok to me. I'd drop the BSB's magic banner though. Give that guy some equipment to keep him alive as people are just going to (and they will) allocate attacks on him. It's not hard to kill a WS4, T4 model with only 2 wounds an a 6+ Save. Once he's gone your higher Leadership and your Re-Roll has gone.

Why not make your BSB a common goblin? You get the increased Leadership and can spend saved points on upgrades. You can also drop a gobbo here and there to make room for your characters to shed a few more points if needed.

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
On a Goblin big boss? What would you give him? He's WS4, str4 with 3 attacks. If you spend points on making him killy he's going to be naked and will be easy to kill. He's only initiative 4 as well so he wont hold up well in any challenges either. He's far more valuable to you by being alive and giving you the re-roll. A couple of extra wounds isn't worth losing the re-roll.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmm do you think it would be worth getting rid of the big boss and possibly having more artillery? Also what do you think this army would struggle with?

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
To be honest, any opponent who knows to kill our Generals and BSB's is going to give us trouble. Once the general is gone our (your) units are going to be testing on Leadership 5-6. Even with a re-roll that's far from certain. Once your BSB is gone your army is going to fold.

If you're planning on keeping the Trolls then keep the BSB. Your General is only LD7 which is about 50%. The BSB makes that a 75% chance of passing so it's well worth the cost.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, i imagine that you have way more experience than me at fantasy so in your experience how effective have fanatics and squig manglers turned out for you?

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
I've never actually used them! I don't run Night Goblins because I don't really like them. I mainly use Orcs and Common Goblins. Fanatics and Manglers can be disgusting (I have a mate who runs a NG list with loads of squigs) but they work best in a list that has a lot of expendable units - Who cares if some goblins die? If you're running lots of expensive/elite units like Trolls, Giants, Black Orcs, Big'uns etc they're probably not going to work well as they'll cause as much damage to you as your opponent.

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Lol, yeah or at least send the fanatics away from the Trolls! Trolls shouldn't suffer too badly from being hit by fanatics to be honest due to their toughness and regenerate. Giants, Chariots etc on the other hand..... it's not so healthy to be around them!

There are some nasty tricks you can do with fanatics though. If an opponent charges your Gobbo unit you can usually position your fanatics so that when the enemy unit completes it's charge, they end their movement on the fanatic. This means they take double hits and the fanatic dies. If you're lucky you can land 6D6 str5AP hits on an enemy unit and that's usually enough to guy most enemy units. :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What suggestions could you give me for deployment? i was thinking of having my manglers infront of everything but spread out so that they are atleast 6 inches apart and then goblins behind them and have my lord and trolls on a flank so they can then sweep across it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts