Lord
Vampire Lord
Level 3 Caster
Forbidden Lore
Master of the Black Arts
Lord of the Dead
Skull Staff
Crown of the Damned

Yes he's expensive. But hell i wouldnt like to meet him in a dark alley. With his vast knowledge and magical potential i expect he should be up for any army. Depending on what im facing will affect my lore choice. But im happy with him :D

Heroes
Vampire
Dark Acolyte
Hand of Nagash

Also very expensive, but after using the hand of nagash i have found it to be VERY potent. My enemies have started keeping 2D6 back for it :D And this army has 3 OTHER bound spells....

Vampire
Dark Acolyte
Book of Arkhan

Still expensive, but worth every penny in my opinion!

Core

Now im just going to say i have massive problems with core choices....

24 Skeletons (5x5)
Full Command
Hellfire Banner

24 Skeletons (5x5)
Full Command

The core of the Phalanx, they go on either side of the Grave Guard.

10 Ghouls

Flanker Deterrent. Anyone had the oppertunity to attack light cavalry with them? :D

5 Dire Wolves

Screen for the Varghulf.

Corpse Cart
Balefire

Corpse Cart
Unholy Lodestone

These are the evil little things that keep the Phalanx running. Trying to fight through it with these supporting it is awful....

Special
13 Grave Guard (7x2)
Full Command
Banner of Strigos

Well, these have yet to disappoint me. With the 7 ASF Great Weapon attacks they usually get, in addition to the Lord, Theyve yet to die...

Rare
Varghulf

General All purpose killing machine. He goes for whatever is bothering me :)

Well thats it, 2003 points, and the centre is almost unkillable.... I love this army :)

Thoughts?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hmm, its a good list, but lacks any real punch of its own. The graveguard give s6 but against an army with any shooting they will die before you can raise them back.

Also I think the corpse carts either need to be one or the other, loadstones or balefire, as if only one has balefire its much easier to deploy out of reach of it.

Also the army is painfully slow, you will get outmanourvred by anyone other than dwarfs.

Essentially the problem is here that if more than one of your vampires die you will really struggle to win, becuase there are no units that can really look after themselves. Even the graveguard will struggle because of their small number and lack of static combat res.

Having said all that it is a good competition list becuase although it cannot deal out much damage, it can take loads.

Will

·
Organised Chaos
1,233 Posts
Think your list is realy cool and from what you say about how well certain units have worked for you I have been inspired to also use a grave guard unit like yours (small with a punch).

With your Skeleton units though tapped out at 24 per unit, maybe drop the four of each for round units of 20 or somthing and just raise them into your units in the first turn or so with your Vamp Lord with his "lord of Dead". Should save you some points to either maybe add to the grave guard (for a saftey measure) or even invest in another unit of somthing even if its just more dire wolves to screen stuff.

Your characters seem solid also with a couple of nasty tricks. For me i cant resist taking four characters even though one is a white king which limits my points. Anyway, "forbidden lore", i'd get rid unless your determind to have all the vampire spells. You get 4 plus Ion anyway so do you realy need it? And if your taking it for another lore of magic id get rid straight away as you normaly need more than one spellcaster with the same lore for it to be affective.

I think you'll find those freed up points best spent elseware, like combining with the sapre skeleton points like i mentioned earlier to get another unit in there or maybe even a Dispel Scroll and still save some points. I'd rekomend it as you only have dispell dice at the moment, even if you think you have enough a scroll is always better.

I'd like to ask what you find works best for corpse carts. I can never decide what i wat on them or anything at all and noticed you had one of each. Bale Fire worth it?

Anyway thanks you've given me quite a few ideas.

·
Nox
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh right let me explain the list a little ;)

The vampire usually takes beast lore. Casting the bears anger on himself. I occasionaly take Death, and use combos of "-3 to enemy units LD, raise new zombie unit in front of this unit, make zombies cause terror".

But usually, he will use 2 dice on Bears anger, and 4 dice on invocation.

I agree the GG are VERY fragile to shooting, the only thing is im usually in combat turn 3 anyway.....

I resent the remark about this list being slow. I march block people and catch them. Raise Dead is brilliant for that.

And, being counts i usually screen the Grave Guard with a zombie line. Usually about 20 strong (usually 2 invocations and raise dead).

I know what you mean about the Vampires dying. It is very very annoying. However, the Lord, with his 7 attacks, at S7, and toughness 6, has yet to die. The Book of Arkhan Vampire has died once in three games. The Hand of Nagash has never, it keeps killing whole units off!

However i am making a slight change to this list. Seeing as the Avatar of Death only gives me a 5+ save in bear form. Im going to change him to:

Lord
+Magic Level
Master of the Black Arts
Forbidden Lore
Lord of the Dead
Skull Staff
Crown of the Damned

Meaning he has 8 dice to play with :) This should make my skeleton units nigh on unkillable from shooting. With a phenomenal 4D6 Skeletons back each most of the time :). 10 Spells cast a turn will drain any magic defenses....

Now that ive explained it a little, does that help?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts