Cold One Chariot

7 Cold One Knights
Dread knight and standard
Banner of murder
(placement of Noble)

7 Cold One knights
Dread Knight and Standard

2 reaper bolt throwers.

I have written this list up after looking at a few of the list on this site. I am originally and still am a dwarf player, but I was looking for a change and the dark Elves caught my eye as no one at my local games workshop gaming club plays with them.

let me know what you think of the list and anything thatneeds changing in yor opinion let me know. ;Y

·
Master of the Crab Women
1,007 Posts
Sorceress
Level 2
Dispel Scroll
Seal of Ghrond

Sorceress
Level 2
Seal Of Ghrond
DispelScroll

Come on, you know that you can never duplicate magic items. If you are going magic heavy then I would recommend a High Sorceress. Dark Magic can be very difficult to deal with especially with that +1 to cast.

Dark Elf Noble
Lance
Heavy Armour
Sea Dragon Cloak
Shield
Cold One
Black Amulet

Is he going to be challenging? If so then he should have a suitable weapon.

13 Dark Elf Warriors
Shields
Crossbows
(placement of one sorceress)

13 Dark Elf Warriors
Shields
Crossbows
(placement of one sorceress)

13 wide is ridiculous. Shields may have a use against S3 shooting but if you're thinking of shoving them into combat, they're just going to die in large numbers.

18 Corsairs
Reaver and Standard

Make them 25 strong and use them to anchor your battleline. Where are the other infantry units? I see the Corsairs being left behind and being picked off.

Cold one Chariot

Cold One Chariot

I like chariots but watch out for cannons. Only charge if you know that you can break the enemy in one turn.

7 Cold One Knights
Dread knight and standard
Banner of murder
(placement of Noble)

7 Cold One knights

7 and 8 wide? I don't see you getting all those knights into btb. Drop them down to 6 wide.

2 reaper bolt throwers.

OH YEAH !!!
All my thoughts are as above.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the idea of the 13 arriors is to have two ranks of 7 with the sorceress being an additional 14th model, the seal of ghrond I will replace with dark star cloak, just noticed what I did.

The corsairs I had just to give me another core unit, I wanted a variant from warriors you see. the cold one knights i will think over, but the only reason I have them that wide is because of the ease of getting them tomatch up against chaos and skirmish models.

The noble isn't going to be challenging but either way if he does, have a 60 40 chance of giving my oponent a wound back form the amulet.

·
Now 17% more helpful
2,247 Posts
I think what swntzu is trying to say, in his own mad cap manner, is that this list needs some modification to be competative. I would suggest the following:

1) He is correct. Magical items cannot be duplicted in the same army, bar powerstones and dispel scrolls, so a retooling of the sorceress would be a good idea

2) 13 is a bit large for crossbowmen. Personally, I would drop the shields and make the 10 strong.

3) Since the modification to the rules in the 7th edition, you now need 5 wide for a rank, so units of 6 for heavy cav normally do better. I would suggest dropping one of your cold one knights down to 5 strong, (6 with the noble in), and the other down to 6.

With the spare points, I would consider another unit of corsairs, about the same size as the current unit, to give you a solid centre.

ninja out

·
Registered
102 Posts
Like what Ginger said, i think you should make the crossbowmen 10 each without shields, so if your charged you will get at least 1 combat resolution which could make the difference.

Add in a powerstone to a Sorceress and a DarkStar Cloak to the other. Depending on what your going for, get a Highborn on a Dragon or Manticore for good offence, or High Sorceress for heavy magic, then give her a powerstone, soulstone and tome of furion for extra magic, possibly Crown of Black Iron.

Make the Corsair unit 20 strong, and have a 14 unit of Knights, with Banner of Murder and Noble etc.

Ok all that adds up to 1857 points, with what you have and the advice mixed, so add something else, maybe some executiones or black guard. Thats my two cents, hope that helped.

·
Master of the Crab Women
1,007 Posts
the idea of the 13 arriors is to have two ranks of 7 with the sorceress being an additional 14th model, the seal of ghrond I will replace with dark star cloak, just noticed what I did.

The corsairs I had just to give me another core unit, I wanted a variant from warriors you see. the cold one knights i will think over, but the only reason I have them that wide is because of the ease of getting them tomatch up against chaos and skirmish models.

The noble isn't going to be challenging but either way if he does, have a 60 40 chance of giving my oponent a wound back form the amulet.
In order of your statements:

2 ranks of 7? Any reason for this? Unless you fix the terrain so that you have two hills in your DZ then it's really not such a good idea. As ging says, drop them down to 10 and lose the shields.

I agree with you that corsairs are a fantastic unit but you really can't run them on their own at 2k. Find the points somewhere in the list to get another unit. Also consider some Dark Riders as they are among the best fast cav in the game.

60/40 chance? A 5+ ward save has a 1/3 chance of rebounding the wound. This isn't exactly reliable. Drop this item and go with the Heartstone of Darkness. You get 4+ ward and gain 5pts this way.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok then.

If I add in a high born on dragon, and give the two sorceress' one with power stone and one with darkstar cloak.

drop the size of the warriors down to 10 with no shields and the knights to a 5 and 6. and with those points find items for the highborn and another duplicate unit of the corsairs.

Sounds good, but which items do I putonthe highborn, becausemost of the DE items aren't that good, but i doloke theBlakAmulet, and I am well known at my gaming room for making an obscene mount of succesful ward saves. :rofl

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well, you could go with the build of Crimson Death, Black Amulet, Enchanted Shield, with heavy armour and SDC. str 6, ward save, and 1+ ASv. And swntzu, what are you talking about with the Heartstone of Darkness, i see nothing of that name in the army book.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will see whatI can play about with and update the list soon

·
Master of the Crab Women
1,007 Posts
Well, you could go with the build of Crimson Death, Black Amulet, Enchanted Shield, with heavy armour and SDC. str 6, ward save, and 1+ ASv. And swntzu, what are you talking about with the Heartstone of Darkness, i see nothing of that name in the army book.
The Cult of Slaanesh list is your friend (give it a quick run through google). You can take the magic items from that list in a normal DE amy. It's GT legal in the US and provides a better ward save than the Black Amulet for less. The Draich of Dark Power provides S6 with KB too. Otherwise go with the Crown of Black Iron since it is the most cost effective ward save.

RidleyMaster666 said:
...and have a 14 unit of Knights, with Banner of Murder and Noble etc.
No. You will either have 1 rank of 7 or 2 ranks of 5 knights doing absolutely nothing. There are better ways of getting that +2 combat res. For instance you could use my method of using a bsb with the hydra banner in that for the same if not lower cost.

Ranking cavalry is expensive and in an army like DE where you need to optimise, a very bad idea.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
List revamp then....

Dark Elf High Born
Black Dragon
Heavy Armour
Sea Dragon Cloak
Crimson Death
Black Amulet
Enchanted Shield

Sorceress
Lv 2
Dark Star Cloak
Dispel Scroll
(to be part of corsair unit)

Sorceress
Lv 2
Power Stone
Dispel Scroll
(to be part of corsair unit)

10 Dark Elf Warriors
Repeater Crossbows

10 Dark Elf Warriors
Repeater Crossbows

19 Corsairs
Reaver and Standard

19 Corsairs
Reaver and Standard

6 Cold One Knights

2 Reper Bolt Throwers

2000 pts

any better, or does it still need some work? :|

·
Master of the Crab Women
1,007 Posts
Looks good but I'm concerned about the lack of fast cav. Dark Riders are very nice units but that's my only real concern.

Putting the Sorceresses in the Corsair units will actually remove attacks and make them susceptable to allocated attacks but really this is just a minor issue.

Playtesting is the way forward now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
before I go any further also, I have just comeacross the PDF for the city garrison army list and what surprises is the rule of garrison formation.

it says that in a unit of city guard (the only unitwith this rule) can comprise of both spear and repeater crossbows and that any number of them can have the crossbows. following on, it states that the only casualtieswhich are ever lost are those from the rear as someone will always move forwardto pick up a fallen comrades crossbow.

all this in mind am I right i saying thata unit of 20 cityguard with shields and 5 with crossbows is legal then, and each mamber in the second rank treats the guy in front as if each one werecarrying a standard?

·
Master of the Crab Women
1,007 Posts
That's exactly the idea behind the list. You've got it spot on!

An additional benefit is that the guys in front use hand weapons and shields meaning that they get +1 to their armour save too!

Of course this is only available in a City Garrison list where your choices are severely limited.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I actually much prefer the list you have now, losing attacks isnt a problem as long as the spells you cast are successful and do damage, like doombolt or black horror. You dont need Dark Riders really, they can be nice to have, but the list you seem to have is based on standing and shooting (spells included) whilst counter-attacking anything that gets close to you, and if thats the case, Dark Riders wont suit this kind of list.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am basically starting a newarmy, whilst still running my Dwarves alongside.

Thethemeof this army was to still keep some respect of shooting and artillery, which hasbeen carriedover from the Dwarves :) and I also wanted to be able to take efect of the faster movemen the dark Elves have, plus some of themodels cool :rofl

·
Master of the Crab Women
1,007 Posts
I actually much prefer the list you have now, losing attacks isnt a problem as long as the spells you cast are successful and do damage, like doombolt or black horror. You dont need Dark Riders really, they can be nice to have, but the list you seem to have is based on standing and shooting (spells included) whilst counter-attacking anything that gets close to you, and if thats the case, Dark Riders wont suit this kind of list.
I see what you are saying but DE really don't do well as a gunline army since they don't actually have any guns to speak of. :S

Dark Riders can fit into a static list perfectly. Misdirecting that nasty Chosen Khornate Knights unit can be vital to buy you 2 turns.

I really don't think that you will get black horror off unless you use the power stone and/or get IF. In the former case I can see a dispel scroll being pulled out fairly rapidly. Just to make sure, you do know that spells are rolled for and not chosen?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just to make sure, you do know that spells are rolled for and not chosen?
Yes, i do know that you have to roll for them, thats why i said successful, and thats the reason for +1 to cast and the Darkstar cloak. I see what you are saying about using the Riders as bait, but they are much more suited to racing around and drawing things out, not sitting there whilst firing crossbows:C. And what if the enemy doesnt have a dispell scroll, not everyone takes them out fo preffering to buy other things like weapons or enchanted items.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
what Ridley has jut said is what happens at my local gaming club.

I will now also hav to go ndrevise my list again seeingas I have just found an updated errata for the Dark Elves.

here it is

http://uk.games-workshop.com/news/errata/assets/wh/derevision.pdf

in fact, Iwont change much except make the corsair units 2 units of 20 seeing as according to the errata Dark Elf Warriors are 2 points cheaper.

·
Now 17% more helpful
2,247 Posts
The only thing I would change, was to drop one of the units of 10 crossbowmen for a unit of 6 Dark Riders. This will allow you to draw troops of khorne, and march block, giving your bolt throwers longer to do their damage.

ninja out

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.