Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not to sure how competitive this list would be, pretty over kill with some of the units but I think someone could have alot of fun with this. Made me laugh just thinking about it

HQ
2X Tyrant
-Hive com
-Winged
-Strangle thorn cannon
-Lash whip + bone sword
-Adrenal
ELITE
2X3 Zoanthrope
-spore
-Barb Strangler
DoM
-spore
-Barb Strangler
TROOP
2X5 Warrior
-death spitter
-scything talons
-adrenal
-Barb strangler
HEAVY
3X3 Biovores

=2000 points on the dot

So my concept with this was as many large templates as possible. I love scatter dice they scare the crap out of people so I wanted to use as many as I could so I put in 23..

Tyrants deep strike
Warriors out flank
Zoanthropes and DoM pod it in
Biovores stick on the board and nuke the enemy until everything else shows up (great thing is even if they dont hit I still drop little spores everywhere that he either needs to kill or over all avoid.)

I think it looks pretty solid! thoughts?

Yukon

·
Registered
350 Posts
Sadly, hive guard cannot take a spore. I have considered trying out a brood of them in reserve that enters the game via a trygon tunnel, but that would be awfully hit and miss due to how trygon tunnels work. It would be fun to have 3 hive guard pop up right in the middle of an enemy (or right behind), especially since they would already have their hands full with the trygon that came out the turn before.

·
Hive Fleet Pandora
5,068 Posts
A lot of anti-infantry but not a whole lot of anti-tank.

·
860 Posts
HQ
2X Tyrant
-Hive com
-Winged
-Strangle thorn cannon
-Lash whip + bone sword
-Adrenal

Fine

ELITE
2X3 Zoanthrope
-spore
-Barb Strangler

Fine, but you could just use 2x2

DoM
-spore
-Barb Strangler

Nice, as long as you have a good plan

TROOP
2X5 Warrior
-death spitter
-scything talons
-adrenal
-Barb strangler

Nice, but you do not have enough Troops

HEAVY
3X3 Biovores

One unit is sufficient. Use the points for more Troops, and maybe ranged anti-tank

Hope this helps and good luck - Lord Ramon

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This list isn't really intended to be a competitive or balanced list at all, just something i thought up and thought it would be fun to use. Right now im trying to focus more on themed lists hence all the templates.

I think iv got enough anti tank though, i have two MC's (that can move) with heavy guns. two units of zoanthropes for the really heavy armour and potentially a Str 10 DoM for more anti armour if needed. The club i play at doesn't field alot of vehicles mostly rinos, the odd landraider, dreadnoughts (SM and Orcs) and the odd monolith. even at 2500 points generally I wont see more then 4 armour vehicles on the board so im not to concerned.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Ok, but i wouldn't put up such a title. It seems childish in a way and i ignored this thread, due to the title. It may seem abit of an over reaction from me, but the title made this thread stank of a very ego oriented person with prositions of building the best lists to me. I may produce a c&c on the list later, but i felt that i had to get this thought off my chest.
thanks
antique_nova

·
Master of the Universe
251 Posts
This list isn't really intended to be a competitive or balanced list at all, just something i thought up and thought it would be fun to use. Right now im trying to focus more on themed lists hence all the templates.

I think iv got enough anti tank though, i have two MC's (that can move) with heavy guns. two units of zoanthropes for the really heavy armour and potentially a Str 10 DoM for more anti armour if needed. The club i play at doesn't field alot of vehicles mostly rinos, the odd landraider, dreadnoughts (SM and Orcs) and the odd monolith. even at 2500 points generally I wont see more then 4 armour vehicles on the board so im not to concerned.
Firstly if it's not a competitive or balanced list, than how do you expect to get decent criticism. Most people here are trying to improve you as a player by suggesting things to make your list better in both of those departments.

Second, If your list is not balanced, it will not be fun to play. Even in casual games, playing with a crappy unbalanced list and losing is not going to be fun. People play 40k for fun, and I believe it is safe to say that no one plays to lose.

Furthermore, why are you worried about having enough of anything in an admittedly unbalanced list?

Finally, you have 10 troops. 10 troops. I can count on a mangled hand, with a single finger, how many times you might win with a list, regardless of the army you are using, that has 10 troops.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've thought about filling HS with Biovores myself, and FA with Spore Mines. I reckon it'd be interesting, at the very least. So, I'll leave the Biovores alone.

You are lacking, a lot, in Troops but from the plans you have for them, capturing objectives isn't even a concern for you.

As you can't exactly split up what a unit fires at, I think you'd be better off cutting the third Zoanthrope from each unit. It seems a bit excessive using 3 Warp Lances on any vehicle, especially when you admit to the low number of vehicles you expect to face. Free up the points for a counter against a more common unit type. Since you like Spore mines, why not put the extra 120 points into them for a few extra Large Blasts right from the start. Keeps with the theme...

I dont think the Spores need the Barbed Strangler. You'll have Large Blasts with Pinning all over the shop already. You might want to opt for some more direct death dealing, say with the Deathspitter (Aptly named weapon, that) or just drop the extra weapon entirely and go for more Spore Mines!!
Spores can help against enemy vehicles too. Their Ripper Tentacles can get through some rear armour if you're lucky with their placement.

The Stranglethorn cannons on the Hive Tyrants can be dropped too. On the winged guys I tend to use the starting weapons. As I mentioned before, pinning you have in abundance. Redundancy is nice, but having the entire army doing the same thing is a bit much. Plus, these guys are winged, you'll be pushing to get them into CC ASAP. Not enough shots are going to be fired to warrant the 20 points. (That's 2 extra Spore Mines!!)
I'm not sure on the Adrenal Gland either. You've got the Lash Whip, meaning you'll be striking first (with I5 you'd be striking first agaisnt most things anyway). You're also S6 to start with, meaing the extra strength is really only going to help if you're taking out C-Tan or Wraithlords or some such. Drop the Gland, save the 10 points and use it on another Spore Mine!!

Keep in mind too that Biovores suffer from IB-Lurk. Meaning if you dont keep some Synapse over them all you're going to get is 9 Spore Mines landing on the same closest unit every turn. Plus I wouldn't envy their chances if the opponent gets some CC units back there. Perhaps leave a Warrior Squad, or even a Tyrant, with them.

So, to summarize, drop the extra Pinning weapons you've scattered throughout the list. Leave that up to the Biovores.
Drop the 3rd Zoanthrope from your units.
Spend the points on Spore Mines (you could probably fill the FA slots with the points saved)
Leave a Tyrant/Warriors to babysit Biovores.

Should be a fun army to watch.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, but i wouldn't put up such a title. It seems childish in a way and i ignored this thread...
Funny you mention that, the title was actually part of a test to see what kind of crowd the list would attract. I'm still fairly new to this site and am trying to figure out the best way to go about thread postings.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Firstly if it's not a competitive or balanced list, than how do you expect to get decent criticism. Most people here are trying to improve you as a player by suggesting things to make your list better in both of those departments.
Its not competitive or balanced because its an over kill list, my theme for it was to use as many templates effectively as possible. I wouldn't expect to win with this list because of all the scatter but I think someone if not myself could have alot of fun with all the scatter dice. Makes for a fun time when your not trying to be serious, hence the three zoanthropes in each pod instead of the only needed two and all the upgrades on the template guns. (I feel over kill on pinning could be an amazingly fun time) and in a sense still keeps this list competitive in a sense, it would just need some tuning is all.

I'm well aware of how poor the tyranid shooting is so my thought was to put a twist on it thats why i threw in all the large blast templates.

I can still take criticism that people decide to give and incorporate it in an updated list that would be more balanced and competitive while still keeping the initial theme of the list.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, to summarize, drop the extra Pinning weapons you've scattered throughout the list. Leave that up to the Biovores.
Drop the 3rd Zoanthrope from your units.
Spend the points on Spore Mines (you could probably fill the FA slots with the points saved)
Leave a Tyrant/Warriors to babysit Biovores.
You make a very valid point on the tyrants, Maybe what I will do is make one winged and cc only and the other foot with 2+save and keep him with the biovores for synaps and protection. (Very good point I didn't think of that +rep)
After thinking about spore mines in FA slot I think I could probably bunch up the enemy more effectively for all my templates (Another great point here)
As for the adrenal glands I had the points left over and that was a quick fix. So with the changes they will be removed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts