Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I am completely new to Warhammer, my friend tried to get me to play for ages and when I saw Tyranids I knew instantly that I must play them. Like I said, this is my first ever army and I have never played before so any advise would be greatly appreciated. On a side note I will be facing a mix of armies but I will most likely be facing Tau more than anything else (Don't know if that helps or not). I'll list my army and also put reasons as to why I have it in there. Oh and a quick question, from what I understand, lower AP = better, so what does it mean when the Tyranid weapons don't have an AP value?

All Mycetic Spores have Clusterspines hence the 50 point cost

HQ

Hive Tyrant with Twin-Linked Devourers, Old Adversary, Armoured Shell, Leech Essence and Psychic Scream (250 points)
At first I went with a Swarmlord but after looking at a few lists I decided to change for a Hive Tyrant.
Elites

Tyrant Guard x2 - 120 points
Protection for Hive Tyrant mainlyDoom of Malan'Tai with Mycetic Spore - 140 points
Pretty obvious choice, it's just awesome

Zoanthropes x2 with Mycetic Spore - 170 points
Good Psychic powers and helps maintain Synapse to troops

Troops

Termagant x20 - 100 points
Termagant x20 - 100 points
Termagant x20 with Spike Rifles and Mycetic Spore - 170 points
Main force of troops and respawned with Tervigons, Spike rifles are just to add a little extra fire power to a troop unit

Tervigon with Scything Talons, Implant Attack, Toxic Miasma and Cluster Spines - 195 points
Tervigon with Scything Talons, Implant Attack, Toxic Miasma and Cluster Spines - 195 points
Pretty obvious reason why I chose them, respawn Termagants and the upgrades make them pretty good as well

Genestealers x8 with Scything Talons - 128 points
Get behind enemy lines very quickly and put pressure against my enemy very quickly

Heavy Support

Tyrannofex with Rupture Cannon, Cluster Spines and Shreddershard Beetles - 265 points
Main anti-tank weapon and cluster spines are useful for clearing large groups

Biovore - 45 points
Fire Spore mines across the battle field and again breaking up groups of enemies.

Spore Mines x6 -60 points
Scatter them across the battle field to begin with and then ammo for Biovore. I wasn't sure if I needed to include them or not for my Biovore to use so I thought I would do it anyway.

Total cost = 1938 points

Any advise, suggestions or opinions on the army would be brilliant and greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Personally I would also drop down the number of units in each termagant brood. You only need 10 to unlock the troop Tervigon. If you are playing a 2000 point game you can actually have 12 troop choices so you can put some hormagaunts in with your lists.

Implant attack is a bit of a waste of points for a Tervigon as you shouldn't be using her for too much combat. Not really what she is designed for. I would give her an extra psychic power or 2 and then exchange them for biomancy as they are can work really well. A T9 Tervigon... That wrecks stuff.

I'd be interested in what you think to my comments.

·
The Ninja Viking
1,359 Posts
okay I have a few tips.

get rid of cluster spines on the spores as they shoot the closest enemy and quite often they wont do anything. the spores are there as transports only.
for the tyrant I would drop Armoured Shell as most of the weapons shooting it will be ap 2 or 1(You will get no armour save). Leech Essence is good but change Psychic Scream to paroxysm as droping the WS and BS of an enemy unit to 1 is awesome.

doom and the zoanthropes is great.

drop the termagant units down to 10 each, you can keep the unit in the spore as 20 but not the others. about the unit in the spore change the weapons to devourers as they shoot 3 shoots each they are more expensive but it's worth it.

I loadout my tervigons like this: Adrenal Glands, Toxin sacs, Catalyst and onslaught. 210p andrenal glands and toxin sacs buffs the termagant units around the tervigon and I swap the psychic powers for the Biomany discipline.

keep the genestealers, they are a good shock unit.

the tyrannofex is awesome. I like the Desiccator grubs more but that is up to you.

biovores are awesome.

drop the spore mines they aren't that good.

for the leftover points I would get another biovore and a unit of 3 hive guards as you need more anti tank and against tau they rock as they ignore cover saves. and about your question about ap. if a weapon has ap- it means that everyone gets there armour save against the weapons.
hope it helps!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
drop the spore mines they aren't that good.
Thanks for the advise guys, I'm just editing my list now. I'll update you of the changes once I'm finished but wouldn't I need to keep the spore mines in for my Biovore to shoot them?

Thanks for the info on the AP too. My friend said that it might mean that they automatically wound (He's never faced Tyranids before) but that would be VERY over powered and I didn't believe him, thanks for clearing it up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just another thing I want to ask as well, is it worth replacing my Devourers on my Hive Tyrant with a Heavy Venom Cannon? I'm wondering just because I've bought the Hive Tyrant model and you don't get Devourers with it so instead of trying to get the Devourers I was just gonna stick with the weapons that came with it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
A Hive Tyrant with wings and 2 twin-linked devourers can move then shoot 12 times with 2 strength 6 weapons. Although there is no AP, the sheer number of shots, ability to reroll misses, and the strength of the weapon means you'll be forcing a ton of saves, of which some will fail, and can glance the crap out of AV12 vehicles, which is also good. And as was pointed out above, the Zoanthropes do an excellent job of anti-tank on their own. From a modeling perspective, it appears as though most people use the Devourers off other models in the army that have them; such as Shrikes, Warriors, or Tyranid Prime.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts