Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is going to be used against a friends Bretonnian list. I know he has no magic so I'm not worried about it. Here's what I'm planning on taking.

HQ

Paymaster
Hand Weapon; Heavy Armour; Shield

Mercenary Captain
Hand Weapon; Brace of Pistols; Lance; Heavy Armour; Pegasus; Enchanted Shield

Mercenary Captain
Hand Weapon; Brace of Pistols; Lance; Heavy Armour; Shield; Pegasus

Troops

Voland's Venators x6
Musician; Standard Bearer; Barding; Hand Weapon; Lance; Heavy Armour; Shield

Light Cavalry x5
Hand Weapon; Spear; Shield

Light Cavalry x5
Hand Weapon; Spear; Shield

Duellists x10
Hand Weapon; Pistol; Skirmishers

Duellists x8
Hand Weapon; Pistol; Skirmishers

Crossbowmen x10
Hand Weapon; Crossbow

Pirazzo's Lost Legion x20
Musician; Standard Bearer; Hand Weapon; Crossbow (x5); Pike (x14); Light Armour

Special

Dwarfs x18
Musician; Standard Bearer; Champion; Hand Weapon; Crossbow; Great Weapon; Heavy Armour; Shield

Norse Marauders x18
Musician; Champion; Standard Bearer; Hand Weapon; Flail; Light Armour; Shield; Frenzy

Ironguts x3
Great Weapon; Heavy Armour; Causes Fear

Rare

Cannon

Cannon

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi there!

Its a fine list your have put together!

First of all... are my eyes cheating me or do you NOT have a lord character? Isnt this army 2000 points?? Perhaps you just made a typo - one of those captains must be a mercenary general, right? Anyway - you really want a mercenary general for both combat and leadership!

Second, if a unit takes 25% damage from magic or shooting it has to take a panic test. Hence, the key troop numbers for smaller units (skirmishers, light cavalry) are: 5 (needs two casualties), 9 (needs three), 13 (needs four) and so on. So why not make your duallists two units of 9 instead of 10 and 8? :)

Third, arent those dwarfs a waste of points? I mean 16 points per dwarf is kinda high (comparable to chosen chaos warriors). I dont know where your characters are going, but you really need 3 ranks and outnumber against the cavalry charges, and 18 dwarves arent going to hold against character led, 9 strong lance formations. one suggestion could be this:

- drop the crossbows and great weapons for the dwarves (saves 126 points)
- split the norse marauders up into two units of 10 with no command (saves 12 points)
- add two dwarves to the regiment. Now you have another rank and outnumber! (costs 18 points)
- add another irongut to get them up to four (costs something like 40 points?)
- add another regiment of crossbowmen (costs 80 points)

I think it would be better that way - you may disagree.

Another solution could be to place your characters in the infantry to help taking the charges.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the Generals ld would be nice but the fact that they are on pegasus keeps their leadership out of range and the captains statline is almost the same but 40 points less. The two squads of duellists at 9 is obvious I dunno why I didn't do the math probably because he is all mounted and has no shooting. The dwarfs are going to be 3x6 as with the marauders. I took these dwarfs all beefed up because I wanted to use my space marines in fantasy. No the real reason is because xbows always get charged by knights and usually run the first turn. If I put the dwarfs on a hill I can fire two ranks and that's 12 shots. Also ranks of five kinda suck because the first rank is going to get knocked off by 1 casualty. Which he will get with his knights. The Marauder thing is a good idea and I'm considering it but if I did that I'd take greatweapons on them with no shields. I'm planning on getting charged with my current squad and depending on if I need to stay in combat use the hw/shield. Or if theres not a full squad of knights I can use the flail for some first turn kills to make him run.

Anyways I appreciate the suggestions. I'll keep them in mind.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.