Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am just now looking into Warhammer Fantasy and I really enjoy the look and idea of the Vampire Counts so i decided to try and make a list. Now keep in mind I have never played a game of Fantasy I just had a chance to read over the rules and I obviously still have a lot to learn. This list is really to see if I understand the Concept and atleast get an idea of what units are good and what units are rubbish. So please leave any comments and feel free to tear apart this list I will not mind.

Lord/Heros
Master Necromancer
Master of the Dead
Nightshroud
Screaming Banner
Vampire
Dreadknight
Fear Incarnate
Banner of Barrows
Hellstead
Great weapon
Rare
Mortis Engine
Vargulf
Special
2x 20 Grave Guard
Vampire in one squad
3 Vargehist
Core
2x 6 Direwolves
3x 30 Skeleton Warriors
Necromancer in one

I believe that is the correct points for each unit type. Again let me know this is my first attempt at making a list. Thanks and have a good day :)

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Just on a quick glimpse, I'll run through it:

Lords/Heroes:

Necromancer - It can't carry a banner, so get rid of Screaming Banner. If you want it, put a Standard Bearer in your Skeleton unit and give it the Screaming Banner. Try and give it a dispel scroll too. You never know when one of those will save your skin. I'd grab the level 4 upgrade too. At 2000 points Vamps struggle without a level 4 caster. Also, you'll want a Champion in your Skeleton unit with the Necromancer, to save him from challenges.

Vampire - Personally I don't think Dreadnight is worth it. You don't want to be risking your Vampire by forcing him to issue challenges. Whilst we're good fighters, there are times to opt out of challenges, and this removes that choice. A Vamp doesn't really need the +2 WS either. Red Fury tends to be the go-to power, but it will use up all 50 available points. And whilst your Vampire Lord can take banners, I'd advise you to give it to a bearer in the Grave Guard squad since it uses up points that you can spend elsewhere on your Vampire. There's also no use in mounting your Vampire, and adding him to Grave Guard. He'll lose the movement bonus the Hellsteed gives him. If I could suggest a build, it would be something like this:

Vampire - Armor of Silvered Steel (gives a 2+ Armour Save), Great Weapon, level 2 caster, red fury - 243

Rare:

Mortis Engine - It looks great, but I find it to be quite lackluster, and personally prefer Terrorgheists. But I think it'd work if you want to keep it (it does look awesome), and it tends to work well as a fire magnet more than anything, however there is an issue (see Varghulf below).

Varghulf - This is the only thing in your army with both speed and hitting power (other than the Vargheists, that I don't know much about), so ideally I think you'd want two. But you may not have the room with the Mortis engine. Your Grave Guard will slaughter when they eventually get there. But we have no range in the army, so we need some quick things to tie up dangerous long range things like cannons. So I would recommend two of these, to help tie up the dangerous shooting, and get some flank/read charges in later.

Special:

Grave Guard - I would combine your Grave Guard into one squad of 40, 20 is just too squishy. Give them Great Weapons too. This unit along with the Vampire will be the main hammer of the army. Also upgrade them with a Champion, Musician and Standard Bearer with Banner of Barrows, rather than giving it to the Vampire.

Vargheists - I must admit, I have little experience with these, but with no saves, I can't help but think that a unit of 6 would be better. Though I don't know what to say about them, as I've never used them.

Core:

Direwolves - I'd run the direwolves in 2 units of 5 rather than 2 units of 6. Most armies run things 5 wide, and 4 deep, so if you're running 6 wide, there'll usually be some potential wasted.

Skeletons - They're good the way they are, but check what I said about the Necromancer - It's worth giving the unit the Necro's in a Champion and Standard Bearer with Screaming Banner. If you can, try and get musicians in them too, they can be very helpful.

I hope this helped :) Feel free to PM me if you have any Vampire or general hobby related questions!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay take 2

Lords
Master necromancer
lvl4
master of the dead
nightshroud

Vampire
lvl2
Forbidden Lore
Fear Incarnate
Great weapon
Heavy armor
Shield

Core
2x 5 Dire wolves
3x 30 skelton warriors
Necormancer and flag carrier with screaming banner in same squad

Special

40 Grave Guard
Vampire in this unit
3 Vargehists

Rare
Mortis Engine
Vargulf

I have 5 points left over and not sure what to do with it

·
Registered
12 Posts
Vargulf's are OK but they are really not that great- they have decent hitting power, but against any kind of strong unit they will die alarmingly fast. Also, three vargheists are going to be nothing except a poor distraction carnifex. With no save they will just be shot to pieces on the first turn, and the only armies that will not shoot them to pieces will beat them in combat (WoC).
Now, I am a huge fan of Death Star units, and I therefore like you'r grave guard. What I've found a good combo to be is Aura of Dark Majesty, Fear incarnate and the Terrifying mask of EEE! Mortis engines are not great by default. Their +2 bonus from the Blasphemous Tome can be very helpful, but with a Level 4 wizard as your general, you do not want a miscast, especially as you only have one other character. I would just scrap it and take a Terrorgeist. The good rare choices are Terrorgeists, Blood Knights (not for the faint of heart) and Cairn Wraiths. Your units really do not need regeneration when you have resurrection instead. With the vargeists, you either need a bigger unit or a different unit- black knights are a good place to start.The skeleton warriors are good, and the dire wolves work well as harrassing units (I took a unit of 20 to a game a little while ago, and by the end the opponent had close to 100 dire wolves in one unit against 10 Chaos Chosen). If you want them to win any games however, or survive them for that matter, take Summon creatures of the night. The List as it is is solid and can be alot of fun to play, but do not be surprised if the Mortis Engine, Vargulf and Vargheists disappear in that order.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I would like to chime in here your necro build needs tweeking drop the night shroud it will do nothing for him get the talismen of protection i would be inclined to stick him on his own behind the skeles then raise a unit of zombies around him you want him no where near any fights.

I'm not sure looking at your list what the vamps job is is he combat or magic? also the shield on him is near usless.

I also have to agree the mortis engine is not good at all I personally love blood knights but as previously mentioned not for the feint of heart.

your grave guard are bang on though i would drop one to fit the vamp in. He should be as above lvl 1, lore or vamp armour of silver steel great weapon red fury. also if your going to take that many grave guard get the points for the banner of the borrows.

Whats the tactic with the screaming banner?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts