-Banner of the Barrows

Grave Guard (163)
x10
-Musician
-Standard bearer
-Banner of the Dead Legion

Varghulf (185)

Okay, so here are my worries:

The Vampire Lord. Do single model units do well? I've given him scouts and flight in hopes of a first turn charge.

I have a lot of characters. That probably detracts from the horde aspect. I'm hoping that doesn't have a tendency to turn out terribly

Lack of squad champions. I don't see the need for them, really, besides an extra attack. But if I remodel the list, they'll probably go in.

Black Knights. I'm obviously going to stick the Wight Lord in there with them. Is ten too large of a squad? I picture them tearing through things. Again, I'm not very familiar with the game

Grave Guard. I kind of threw them in there to act as a stable center-type unit for the B-Vampire to join and frolic with.

The Necromancer seems very killable, but I'm picturing him more screened off by masses of zombies and skeletons.

Should the Varghulf even be there? I thought I would need the extra punch... and I do like the model. The more I look at the Black Knights, ah, you guys are the experts. Is he superfluous?

Thanks for any suggestions and such in advance.

·
señor brushman!
1,434 Posts
I'm new to Warhammer Fantasy too, so take this with a grain of salt.
--------------------------------

The Vampire Lord. Do single model units do well? I've given him scouts and flight in hopes of a first turn charge.
From what I can tell, single models do best in conjunction with support. Face him against an enemy regiment or large enemy unit and he can sometimes to lose combat resolutions by himself.

However, with support he should do a lot better. Also, if you happen to lose combat resolutions even with a unit, you can allocate the wounds towards your squad instead of having to take wounds off your character.

So, what I would do with this guy is target isolated, small enemy units; weak close combat enemies; or have him aid an assault and act as support in combat.

I have a lot of characters. That probably detracts from the horde aspect. I'm hoping that doesn't have a tendency to turn out terribly
I would think you'd be ok. Summoning zombies can also help. Just make sure to watch your flanks. Even though you won't run away, you can lose lots of wounds instead.

Lack of squad champions. I don't see the need for them, really, besides an extra attack. But if I remodel the list, they'll probably go in.
Sounds fine to me.

Black Knights. I'm obviously going to stick the Wight Lord in there with them. Is ten too large of a squad? I picture them tearing through things. Again, I'm not very familiar with the game
From my experience with Wood Elf calvary you want to keep minimum squad size for calvary, sense only the front ranked units can attack. Even when attacking with multiple ranks with lances (I think they're like spears in that respect) you don't get the extra attacks on the charge, and you should be charging a majority of the time.

I'd rather have 2 seperate squads of 5 then a larger unit of 10.

Grave Guard. I kind of threw them in there to act as a stable center-type unit for the B-Vampire to join and frolic with.
If I was an undead skeleton dude then I'd have babies with Grave Guard.

The Necromancer seems very killable, but I'm picturing him more screened off by masses of zombies and skeletons.
I think it will be fine as long as you keep him screened from enemy weapons as you said.

Varghulf (185)
I'm not really sure with how effective this guy will be. He seems to have a similar role in your army as your Vampire Lord (not necesarily a bad thing though).

If you like the model and/or fluff, then I say go ahead and take it! It's not fun playing with something you dont' really like anyways, and that goes for all the army.

--------------------------------
Again, I'd like to reiterate the point that I am new as well, so what I say might be contradictory to the beliefs of other, and possibly more experienced players. I'm learning too! 8Y

good luck dude
brushman

1 - 2 of 2 Posts