1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
+++ beastmen (2000pts) +++
+++ 2000pt Beastmen Roster (Standard)) +++

Selections:

Beastmen (Standard) Selections:

+ Lords + (498pts)

* Beastlord (234pts)
Dawnstone (25pts), Gnarled Hide (15pts), Heavy Armour (6pts), Ramhorn Helm (15pts), Shield (3pts), Sword of Swift Slaying (25pts)

* Great Bray-Shaman (264pts)
Additional hand weapon (4pts), Skull of Barkos (60pts), Wizard Level 3

+ Heroes + (497pts)

* Bray-Shaman (129pts)
Additional hand weapon (4pts), Shard of the Herdstone (50pts), Wizard Level 1

* Bray-Shaman (79pts)
Additional hand weapon (4pts), Wizard Level 1

* Bray-Shaman (79pts)

* Bray-Shaman (79pts)

* Wargor (131pts)
Battle Standard Bearer (25pts), Heavy armour (4pts), Shield (2pts), Standard of Discipline (15pts)

+ Core + (565pts)

* Tuskgor Chariot (80pts)

* Ungor Herd (225pts)
Halfhorn (6pts), Musician (3pts), Standard bearer (6pts), 42x Ungor (210pts)

* Ungor Raiders (25pts)
5x Ungor Raiders (25pts)

* Ungor Raiders (25pts)
5x Ungor Raiders (25pts)

* Ungor Raiders (25pts)
5x Ungor Raiders (25pts)

* Ungor Raiders (25pts)
5x Ungor Raiders (25pts)

+ Special + (440pts)

* Harpies (55pts)
5x Harpies (55pts)

* Harpies (55pts)
5x Harpies (55pts)

* Razorgor Herd (110pts)
2x Razorgor (110pts)

* Razorgor Herd (110pts)
2x Razorgor (110pts)

* Razorgor Herd (110pts)
2x Razorgor (110pts)

Created with BattleScribe (BattleScribe Army List Creator - Build your army list. Fast.)

So, any unredeamable faults?

·
Registered
582 Posts
I would move the Gnarled hide to the bsb, give your gbs the jagged dagger, talisman of preservation and the fencer's blade

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Gunna be honest can't see this list doing much for starters i figure your going for wild form spam well you have 5 casters now your lvl 4 could do it on one dice but would need a 5 the others will need at least 2 dice even then they need 8 so you need 10 dice just for them to cast you would be better dropping to 3 level 2 no lvl 4 he is just way over costed and get some actual units in there i can tell you now razagors are rubbish if you want them take them in chariot form, though they are exspensive also if your going fleet force really your characters need to be on chariots to. You have nothing that can fight past the first turn of close combat. In short will it win games no will it be fun to build and play with yeah.

·
Oh No! Not Him Again!
779 Posts
i can tell you now razagors are rubbish if you want them take them in chariot form
I'm sorry, but this is wrong. Razorgors, with their good overall stats and Monstrous Beast unit type, are one of the best units in the book. You can take them as solo Piggies, where you can block enemy charges for days and beat up the majority of chaff/flanking units with your impressive attacking stats and toughness, or you can take them in large units, where they dish out so many S6 attacks on the charge that they are a very dangerous, and also very fast threat. The chariots are comparatively slow, and are overcosted. Tough and powerful on the charge? Yes. Do they have a place? Yeah sure. Better than standard Razorgors? Just no.

For the list, I will just mention that you've got some point costs wrong. 5 Raiders is 30 points, since they are a point more expensive than the ranked up guys. I would also advise against ranked up Ungors. They are just awful really. They can't really fight well even with Primal Fury. They can only provide ranks to a combat to negate steadfast, and they die in droves, needing several castings of Wildform to be effective (which is not possible a lot of the time). They also have mismatching base size to your Gor characters, making placement in the unit awkward and leads to leaving your characters vulnerable in combat. Why not have a unit that can actually do some killing and take some Gor? A nice big block of around 40 with a BSB with the Beast Banner in it pumps out some very reliable attacks, and Wildform makes them very dangerous. This also makes you less reliant on magic to be winning combats. If you want to keep the Razorgors, then that's ok, but I would consolidate them into a single unit of 6, they will accomplish a lot more this way. I would also recommend Bestigor for another opition, another of our book's best units.

Magic Lore is a tough option with Beastmen these days. I still find that taking Shadow on the Herdstone Shamans is best due to the easy casting and massive range on the Signature spell. For your Great Bray, I have run Shadow before. It works great. I also feel that Beasts is something we can take advantage of well. However, what with all the flying monsters and Daemon Princes in the game now, a good Death caster can be invaluable.

The character builds I like, and I use a Beastlord similar to that often, but I do see a few flaws in their makeup. Firstly, why does your Beastlord need Always Strikes First? He will generally gain no benefit from the re-roll, since he will almost always have Hatred in every round of combat, and he is very survivable, so can usually take the majority of incoming hits. Drop it and save some points. The Great Bray works fine if you're keeping him back with the Herdstone. However, the ranges on the good combat buffs on the Lore of Beasts are rather short. I would consider building him for combat, which we can do. Dropping the ASF sword gives you points to spend on him. The Fencers Blades give him a nice defensive and offensive item, and the Jagged Dagger is an absolute steal for the points on a combat guy. Those extra power dice, combined with the ones generated from the Herdstone, can make a reasonably poor magic phase into a game changer. You can take him as such and still fit in the Beastlord with the re-rollable 1+:

Great Bray Shaman - Level 3, Fencer's Blades, Jagged Dagger, Talisman of Preservation (4+ Ward) - 285

I would also drop one of the Herdstone Shaman to fit the Beast Banner on your BSB. I find that investing sufficient protection into your characters is very difficult at 2000 points, and If you had a unit of Bestigor, you could fit the Standard of Discipline onto your Bestigor Banner Bearer, and with the Beastlord in that unit could receive the best of both worlds. It would also split your expensive characters apart into different units, meaning less points should someone manage to nuke your one large infantry block. Essentially, I would go with one of these two lists;

List 1 - Razorgors
Beastlord - Heavy Armour, Shield, Ramhorn Helm, Dawnstone, Gnarled Hide - 209
Great Bray Shaman - Fencer's Blades, Jagged Dagger, Talisman of Preservation - 290
Wargor BSB - Heavy Armour, Shield, Beast Banner - 191
Bray Shaman - Herdstone - 125
Bray Shaman
Bray Shaman
40 Gor - Additional Hand Weapons, Full Command - 345
3 x 5 Ungor Raiders - 90
2 Tuskgor Chariots
2 x 5 Harpies - 110
6 Razorgor - 330
Total - 2000

List 2 - Bestigor
Beastlord - Heavy Armour, Shield, Ramhorn Helm, Dawnstone, Gnarled Hide - 209
Great Bray - Fencer's Blades, Jagged Dagger, Talisman of Preservation - 285
Wargor BSB - Heavy Armour, Shield, The Beast Banner - 191
Bray Shaman - Herdstone - 125
Bray Shaman
Bray Shaman
40 Gor - Additional Hand Weapons, Full Command - 345
2 Tuskgor Chariots
2 x 5 Ungor Raiders
35 Bestigor - Full Command, Standard of Discipline - 465
Total - 2000

Both lists could do with trimming so you can fit in one or two essential items: A Dispel Scroll, Crown of Command, more chaff, Chalice of Dark Rain etc. I find you can get away with just having 2 Bray Shamans camping at the Herdstone, and you can deploy your Great Bray near it at the start of the game to keep the edge a little. Try out lots of little changes to see what you prefer.
Hope this helps,
NMP

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
They are just beaten to easily they very rarely hit anything and there low I and low ld means they often quit the field.

I like the second list with bestigors still don't think that 4 shamans are necessary or would be able to get off 4 wild forms but shadow beast combo could work would defo help you out to stay alive. My wife uses minos to good effect

·
Oh No! Not Him Again!
779 Posts
T5 and 3 wounds makes them very hard to kill for opposing chaff, as well as most rank and file. Also, in units of 1 Ld isn't an issue, and we always have reliable General/BSB bubbles, so taking large units isn't bad either. The initiative isn't really a problem either, they're tough enough for chaff/redirectors as it is, more than Eagles certainly. Hell, put a Mino character in there and they get Frenzy, that's a scary unit. If you very rarely hit things, may I suggest getting some better dice =P

For the lists, I would probably personally drop 1 level 1 shaman to add more chaff. People argue whether the protection is more important on the BSB or not. If you run your BSB with the Gnarled Hide, you have to spend more points on a ward save for your Beastlord, more needless expenditure at 2k points. Fitting all we need in lists is hard enough as it is, let alone at 2k.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts