Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I've been looking into fantasy off and on for a while and have been toying around with one army or another for quite a long time, but finally I think I've decided on Orcs and Goblins. Here is my first attempt at a 2000 point list after kicking around a few ideas and carefully looking through the codex.

Heroes

Black Orc Warboss
-Heavy Armor
-Boar
-Warboss Umm's Best Boss 'At
-Bigged's Kickin Boots
-Enchanted Shield
-Ulag's Akrit Axe

Black Orc Big Boss
-Battle Standard Bearer
-Martog's Best Basha

-Orc Shaman
-Level 2
-The Horn of Urgok

Night Goblin Shaman
-Level 2
-Dispel Scroll
-2 Magic Mushrooms

Core

20 Night Goblins
-3 Fanatics
-Musician

20 Night Goblins
-3 Fanatics
-Musician

23 Orc Boyz <--- Warboss joins this squad
-Two Choppas
-Full Command

24 Orc Boyz <---- BSB joins this squad
-Shield
-Full Command

25 Orc Boyz
-Shield
-Full Command

5 Spider Riders
-Musician

5 Wolf Riders
-Spears
-Musician

5 Wolf Riders
-Spears
-Musician

Special

15 Black Orcs
-Shield
-Full Command

Total: 1994

Comments are welcome. I was thinking about dropping one of the fast cav units for a goblin chariot or some Spear Chukkas. I really want to get a chariot in there for some impact hitting goodness. Also is this enough magic to be effective as a "take on everyone" list? I really like Green Skin magic, and hope I'm not wasting points by throwing in only two mages instead of 3 or 4.

Thank you all for reading...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Firstly good choice going with the greenskins, very entertaining army to use. Now onto the list.

Always seems a shame to pay the extra points for a black orc character and then taking a magic item, I would save the points and leave them armed da teef. This gives you plenty of flexibility depending on your opponent. Also I would drop the boar for the warboss if hes with the boys.

The BSB after dropping his weapons could do with a little more protection, but as the army book is a little light on magic armour have to just make do with heavy armour and rely on his toughness.

I think two spell slingers is probably a nice amount of magic at 2k but as some people like to really go overboard with the casters maybe a little more protection might be nice. By swapping the scrolls onto the orc shaman, the goblin one can take the staff of sneaky stealin which would help defenses a decent amount.

The two night goblin units are fine, alot of fanatics mind so if possible try to keep them away from anything you don't want splatted on your side in particular your black orcs. They make pretty decent flank guards with the fanatics.

The rest of your infantry is good really, don't really use orcs myself but the standad boy is a very effective basic unit. I would definitly try to add on a couple of spear chukkas, very cheap and can kill many times their own cost if they have suitable targets (mine regularly kill chosen chaos knights).

Not too sure of the points cost of these changes but if your've gotten any points left over charriots can be fun. They really do need supporting though by something which can keep up preferably with ranks and a banner so unless you can afford a block of cavalry as well the points can be better spent.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
125 Posts
Pretty good list overall. However, I'm not too keen on the night goblin units. They're too small to really have much of an influence. NGs rely on having high static combat res. to hopefully break units without even killing anything. My suggestion would be to merge the two units to make a unit of 36 ranked 6x6 with nets, full command and 3 fanatics. Including a night goblin BSB with Bad Moon on a Stick would be even better

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Talking with other people I think I might try taking out the Night Goblins entirely and adding a Giant, Chariot, and 2 Spear Chukkas. I like fanatics but they have been kind of iffy, especially when the unit releasing fanatics roll a six on animosity the next turn and roll right over them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Keep the night goblins but drop a unit of orc boyz. That way you have quite a lot of points to spend on other things like chariots. I would advise against spear chukkaz because they hardly ever hit. Giants can be devastating at times but is also rather expensive, fragile and random. Chariots are a great option. I suggest a pair of orc boar chariots and maybe a goblin big boss mounted on a goblin chariot. Orc boar boyz and squig hoppers are also good for their close combat abilities.

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
Black Orc Warboss
-Heavy Armor
-Boar
-Warboss Umm's Best Boss 'At
-Bigged's Kickin Boots
-Enchanted Shield
-Ulag's Akrit Axe

Black Orc Big Bossstick this guy on a boar and give him heavy armor at least. I like to give mine mork's effigy too, so he is nigh impossible to hit or wound. Then I can take challenges with him if I want
-Battle Standard Bearer
-Martog's Best Basha

-Orc Shaman
-Level 2
-The Horn of UrgokI'd get Nibla's Ring to help suck out dispel dice - it will help your magic phase more than the horn i think

Night Goblin Shaman
-Level 2
-Dispel Scroll
-2 Magic Mushrooms

Core

20 Night Goblins if these guys are only going to carry fanatics, I would drop the musician
-3 Fanatics
-Musician

20 Night Goblinsthe other thing to do with these guys is drop one fanatic (6 is too many I think) get nets and bulk them up to 25 so they outnumber and have full ranks incase they get into combat. Never make them 6 wide, they're not meant to kill anything, but you don't want to make it easier for the enemy to hit you. You want to keep your full ranks as long as possible, then counter charge the flank.
-3 Fanatics
-Musician

23 Orc Boyz <--- Warboss joins this squad
-Two Choppas
-Full Command

24 Orc Boyz <---- BSB joins this squad
-Shield
-Full Command

25 Orc Boyz I would drop this unit of boyz and bulk the other 2 units to 28-30. That way they are always full strength when they hit combat. The Orc Boy is awesome, cheap, durable and you should always get your big 5 combat res
-Shield
-Full Command

5 Spider Riders
-Musician

5 Wolf Riders
-Spears
-Musician

5 Wolf Riders
-Spears
-Musician

Special

15 Black Orcs
-Shield
-Full Command

Total: 1994
QUOTE]

i would keep all three fast cav. they are super cheap and super useful

·
Registered
246 Posts
Keep the night goblins but drop a unit of orc boyz. That way you have quite a lot of points to spend on other things like chariots.
you have the Special slots to burn but this is an idea for you. Mount your Blorc chars in Chariots. That way when you Waagh your chariots get D6 added to movement and you save a special slot. Maybe just the BSB?

I would advise against spear chukkaz because they hardly ever hit. Giants can be devastating at times but is also rather expensive, fragile and random.
No chuckas? Surely this is a joke. At 35 pts and 2 per special slot they are a no brainer. At that cost you can get 2-4 and almost guarantee hitting. Plus they keep large targets honest.
I think a giant is a fun but not optimal option.

Chariots are a great option. I suggest a pair of orc boar chariots and maybe a goblin big boss mounted on a goblin chariot.
Great suggestions.
Orc boar boyz and squig hoppers are also good for their close combat abilities.
If I had to choose with your army I would go for the hoppers.

I would suggest giving the shaman Mad Cap Shrooms and put him in a NG unit behind 2 units of Orcs. A strategy to keep in mind: Release you NG's when the Orcs get charged send them through you Orcs. If they cause a bunch of hits on your Orcs re-roll it. Now it's the charging unit's turn! Not only will the have to take 1d6 for the NG's hitting them but they will take another for stopping on them. So 2d6 for each NG and you get to re-roll if you only get a 1 or a 2. If that happens so now you have that happening with 3 fanatics! that 6 D6 re-rollable fanatic hits.

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
I would suggest giving the shaman Mad Cap Shrooms and put him in a NG unit behind 2 units of Orcs. A strategy to keep in mind: Release you NG's when the Orcs get charged send them through you Orcs. If they cause a bunch of hits on your Orcs re-roll it. Now it's the charging unit's turn! Not only will the have to take 1d6 for the NG's hitting them but they will take another for stopping on them. So 2d6 for each NG and you get to re-roll if you only get a 1 or a 2. If that happens so now you have that happening with 3 fanatics! that 6 D6 re-rollable fanatic hits.
that's dirty!

I like 2 chariots and 2 spear chukkas in every list. I have yet to try the squig units bc I don't have the models, but on paper they look really good. I would definately take them over the black orc unit. I don't like characters in chariots. I know a lot of people do, but to me you're just asking for a dwarf or empire cannon/bolt thrower to either kill your character or blow up the chariot without it doing anthing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.