Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, ive posted many editions of this army in the past, and just want a final verdict, as i am soon going to be in a friendly tournamenty-sorta thing. (4 person free for al,l or a 2 on 2 game, or something involving 4 ppl lol). heres the list:

HQ

Grey Knight Grand Master- 145
Psycannon-
Hammerhand-
Icon of the Just-
Master Crafted-
Total- 210
4 Terminators-
Psycannon-
1x NFW & SB
2x TH & SS
Total- 209

TOTAL- 419

ELITE

Inquisitor-
Eversor Assassin-
3x Death cult assassins-
TOTAL- 235
TROOPS

3x

6 Grey knights (5 & 1 justicar)-
Psycannon-
200 per squad

TOTAL- 600

FAST ATTACK

5 Grey Knights ( 4 & 1 justicar)
Psycannon-
Melta-bombs-

TOTAL- 180

HEAVY SUPPORT

Land Raider Crusader-
Pintle- mounted storm bolter-
Psycannon bolts-
Extra Armour-
Total- 280

2x
Dreadnaught-
TL’d Lascannon-
M Launcher-

TOTAL- 280

TOTAL- 1994 (36 units)

mainly, i just want to know a couple things.
1- do you guys think i have enough grey knights in this army? or should i boost up the amount that Deep Strike? if so, what should i get rid of?

2- should i exchange the assassins for termies?

and 3- just any changes you would make, etc.

thanks alot. and the other 3 players in this will be tau, 1k sons, and eldar. none of which are specified to any of the other armies, so maybe some tactics in here.

P.S. my friend and i were having a discussion about this, do non-grey knight units behind me get the shrouding? i didnt think so, but he did (he was hoping to be my ally). just want a clear answer

thanks alot for your help!

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Grey Knight Grand Master- 145
Psycannon-
Hammerhand-
Icon of the Just-
Master Crafted-
Total- 210
4 Terminators-
Psycannon-
1x NFW & SB
2x TH & SS
Total- 209

TOTAL- 419
Right off the bat I can tell you to trim points from this unit - it's a quarter of your entire list! I'm also assuming that you plan on putting this unit inside the LRC - also a bad idea, as it boosts that single unit up to about a third of the entire list. Talk about putting all your eggs in one basket!

For the GM, I'd suggest dropping everything there except ONE upgrade, of your choice. I prefer either the Icon or the Psycannon. He's an expensive enough model as it is. Mastercrafting his NFW and then buying him a second melee attack (Hammerhand) is a waste - you're investing points in two things that cannot be used together - especially in a game this size.

For the Bodyguard, I'd suggest only having one TH/SS Terminator - one of the best things about GKT is that they're S6 and I4. A Hammer is S8, sure, but I1. One of them is good enough, just in case you get stuck in with a Chaos Dread or a TMC or some such, but two of them is overkill - the NFW attacks will be more helpful in more situations.

Inquisitor-
Eversor Assassin-
3x Death cult assassins-
TOTAL- 235
You're wasting that Inquisitor by taking him naked. Give him a psycannon and toss him into one of the Troop GK squads. Or, if your plan for the LRC was to drive the HQ across the table, how about this: Give the Inquisitor nothing but a bolter and a Teleport Homer, and put HIM inside the LRC. If the enemy kills the LRC, thinking your HQ was in there - no big loss, it only held a 36pt model - and then you can Deepstrike the HQ normally. If they don't manage to kill it, you can use the Teleport Homer to bring the HQ down on the table.

I also dislike Death Cultists in the same list as GKT - they're fairly similar in damage potential, and have a similar cost. I'd say drop all three of them, add maybe one more GKT to the HQ unit, and spend the other points elsewhere.

TROOPS

3x

6 Grey knights (5 & 1 justicar)-
Psycannon-
200 per squad

TOTAL- 600
I'd swap this around a bit. Psycannons, while handy because they can be Heavy or Assault, work best when stationary. Try taking one minimum sized unit with 2 psycannons, and making the other units as large as you can and with no special weapons. Use the psycannon unit as artillery, and the others as combat units.

FAST ATTACK

5 Grey Knights ( 4 & 1 justicar)
Psycannon-
Melta-bombs-

TOTAL- 180
Now, um, this is bad. FAGK need to be 8-10 models per squad for two reasons. First, when they land on the table they WILL take a round of enemy fire (unless you land them somewhere far away, which removes their entire advantage). So they need to be able to absorb some casualties. Second, after taking that round of fire, they have to be strong enough to WIN in the subsequent combats. Fearless units that are outnumbered (which small GK units always are) and lose a combat take extra wounds! Troop GK units can afford to be smaller (altho minimum sized Troop GK units that are meant to see combat are still going to perform poorly).

Also, I frown on special weapons in FAGK units. When you pay for one, you're taking that GK's +2Str bonus and True Grit away from him - in essence, making him just an insanely expensive Space Marine. If anything, put one Incinerator in the unit - they're cheap enough that it isn't a huge loss. A psycannon doubles the cost of the model carrying it!

Land Raider Crusader-
Psycannon bolts-
Extra Armour-
Total- 280
The only upgrades a LR or LRC should ever recieve are extra armor (for the LR), spotlights, and smoke launchers.

2x
Dreadnaught-
TL’d Lascannon-
M Launcher-
For variety's sake, I'd make one of these an Assault Cannon/DCCW Dreadnought. Assault Cannons will statistically pop higher AV values more often than TLLCs will, and they can use their DCCW to back up the GK in combat (and the fact that they each count as 10 models in melee doesn't hurt when you run the risk of being outnumbered).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
new list, right here:

HQ

Grey Knight Grand Master-
Psycannon BOLTS-
Icon of the Just-
Master Crafted-
Total- 195
5 Terminators-
Psycannon-
3x NFW & SB-
1x TH & SS-
Total- 255

TOTAL- 450

ELITE
Inquisitor-
Teleport homer
bolter

TOTAL- 31

TROOPS
3x

7 Grey knights (6 & 1 justicar)-
Psycannon-
225 per squad

TOTAL- 675

FAST ATTACK

10 Grey Knights ( 9 & 1 justicar)
Psycannon-
Melta-bombs-

TOTAL- 305

HEAVY SUPPORT

Land Raider Crusader- 255
Psycannon bolts-
Total- 280

Dreadnaught-
TL’d Lascannon-
M Launcher-

Dreadnought-
AC-
Missile launcher-

TOTAL-260

TOTAL- 1996 (41 units)

this should be better....

inquisitor in the LRC (i wasnt planning on using it as a transport anyway, seeing as how much the gk units cost)

if he survives, teleport homer.

HQ teleports, FA teleports, everything footslogs, hugging cover.
Dreadz take shots at everything worth shooting.

more help?

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Dreadnought-
AC-
Missile launcher-
Don't mix an Assault Cannon and a Missile Launcher. One has a 24" range, one has a 48" range - you won't be making effective use of both weapons at the same time. A Dreadnought CCW is a better choice to compliment an Assault Cannon - the AC is short ranged, and being that close will likely land your Dreadnought in melee.

List looks much better.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I like the idea of the inquisitor in the LRC. When they destroy it and see the lone inquisitor, they'll ignore him-right up until he calls down all of the Grey Knights. I would love to see your opponent's face when you pull that trick. :sadistic joy:

Psycannon BOLTS-
The psycannon bolts are useful against Tau and Eldar, but for future reference, they are almost worthless against power armor.

Psycannon-
225 per squad
Instead of having 3 of these squads, I would have 2 minimum squads with 2 Psycannons apeice and then max out the 3rd and put it in Fast Attack.

Land Raider Crusader- 255
Psycannon bolts-
Total- 280
First off, please don't post the individual unit cost.
Second, the LRC is already an expensive unit and already pumps out a huge amount of firepower, so the Storm Bolter is kind of like throwing a match on the fire, nice to look at for a while but it doesn't add anything useful.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ooops sorry mustve overlooked the LRC points.

i like the psycannon bolts because the 3 armies i play against are tau, eldar, and chaos... lol id say ive got a pretty good reason for taking it =P.

and for 10 points, 2 extra shots and ignore invul and hav ap 4 isnt too shabby... plus i needed to use the points up.

and on the 2 min squads and the 1 max FA... well i dont like having such small squads... just dont like seeing an entire squad getting trashed by one unit of shooting.

thanks for the help guys!

·
Simple Green.
969 Posts
When you play against Chaos then, why not drop the psycannon bolts to add incense or grimoire? Or do you already do that?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea i do that! why wouldnt i? o right... i'm me...

this is (hopefully) my final list.

HQ

Psycannon BOLTS-
Icon of the Just-
Master Crafted-
Total- 195
5 Terminators- 230
Psycannon-
3x NFW & SB-
1x TH & SS-
Total- 255

TOTAL- 450

ELITE
Inquisitor-
Teleport homer
bolter

TOTAL- 31

TROOPS
2x
Psycannon-
Melta Bombs-
230 per squad

1x
7 Grey Knights (6 & 1 justicar)-
Psycannon
225 per squad

TOTAL- 685

FAST ATTACK

10 Grey Knights ( 9 & 1 justicar)
Psycannon-
Melta-bombs-

TOTAL- 305

HEAVY SUPPORT

Land Raider Crusader-
Psycannon bolts-
SMoke Launcher-
Total- 278

Dreadnaught-
TL’d Lascannon-
M Launcher-
Total- 140

Dreadnought-
AC-
CCW
Total- 110

TOTAL-260

TOTAL- 1999 (41 units)

when i face chaos (which is a low tank tzeentch army) i drop the melta bombs on the 2 squads and get myself some grimoire.

thanks for all the help, and if you see any HUGE problems, feel free to tell me

·
Simple Green.
969 Posts
this isn't HUGE, but extra armor on the dreds can help especially on your lascannon/ML one, since he'll be hugging cover (probably) and you get say...a glancing 3 or pen 1, you can still move and get behind the cover so you won't need to leave him out there and risk getting shot at again.

·
señor brushman!
1,434 Posts
Im not sure on this but I thought an Inquistor needed a retinue or to be with a squad to ride in a vehicle but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
IAmAngel said:
Im not sure on this but I thought an Inquistor needed a retinue or to be with a squad to ride in a vehicle but I could be wrong.
An Inquisitor or Lord needs a retinue in order to *buy* a transport of any kind. When a transport is purchased as a Heavy Support choice, anything friendly can ride in it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts