Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since we're not getting a new codex anytime soon, I figured I would go ahead and fall right into GW's trap and buy some new stuff using the new 6th ed rule that allows you to have allies.

Keeping that in mind, I chose Eldar to help with what Tau doesn't do well : Psychic (mostly protection from it) and close combat.

I don't know much about Eldars, but here is the list I made :

HQ: 98
Shas’el, TA, Cyclic ion blaster, Burst canon, HWMT, Stimulant injector = 98

Elites: 462
3 suits, Plasma rifle, Missile pod, MT = 186
2 suits, Twin-linked flamer, Missile pod = 90

Troops: 300
6 fire warriors = --
6 fire warriors = --
Devilfish, DP = 85
Devilfish, DP, flechette discharger = 95

Fast attack : 140
1 piranha, fusion blasters, Ta = 70

Heavy support : 545
2 broadsides, TA,Team leader, HWDC+1Shield drone = 180
2 broadsides, A.S.S.,Team leader, HWDC+1Shield drone = 180
1 hammerhead, Railhead, MT, Flechette discharger, smart missile, DP = 185

ELDAR : 450
HQ :
Warseer, Runes of Warding, Doom, Mind War = 115

Troops :
5 Rangers = 95

Elites :
5 Harlequins, Harlequin Kiss, shadowseer = 140

Heavy Support :
Wraithlord, Wraithsword = 100

The basic plan would be to keep the Wraithlord with the harlequins (since the Shadowseer is a psycher) and I would jump into CC with whatever I think I can kill with them while the rest of my Tau arsenal shoots down everything else.

Comments would be extremely appreciated since I plan on getting the eldar part of the army as soon as possible. I aslo thought of getting space wolves instead of Eldars (mostly for the very nice thunderwolf cavalry models) so if you have opinions on the subject please share!
Thank you

·
Registered
255 Posts
seems pretty good, although harlequins dont really have much staying power. I went with scorpions because of this, but was also thinking of harlies. That said, I haven't gotten any comments on my tau-eldar list so idk if thats a good idea. let me know how this goes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I thought Harlequins with shadowseer seemed fairly hard to take down before they can get in CC but I get your point. I think I'll go read some eldar standard lists and pick what I like from theirs to fit it in mine!

·
Registered
774 Posts
The way I understand allies to be used is this:

Fill gaps in your army

So, leading on from this, where do tau have glaring gaps?

Again, my opinion on this is:

resilient, reliable, (cheap) troops
pshyic defence (no offence either, but psychic offence is just gravy)
assault-resistance (pretty much everything we have folds in assault)

So, you would use allies to plug this gap, eldar certainly fill the psychic gap, but they fail miserably on the troops side, their troops are expensive (as is everything in their ancient codex), and they're certainly not resilient

Personally (and again, this is my opinion), the better allies to take for tau are:

IG - large, cheap troop blobs with bucket loads of heavy weapons
orks - large, cheap troop blobs that are more assault orientated, cheap kannons (T7 abuse)
DAs (currently) - belial + termy squads - scoring, (relatively) cheap terminators, good in assault - this will most likely change with their new dex
GKs - coteaz + henchman spam for cheap troops, psyflemen (less important with our railguns, but they're ridiculously undercosted) decent midfield army

If I was definitely set on eldar (as the farseer is pretty damned awesome), for the troops, i'd probably take a guardian squad or two with a scatter laser and conceal warlock and use them to give cover to the rest of my army

you could use a squad of reapers in heavy for S5 AP3 goodness for just ripping MEQs apart (especially with doom) or take a WW squadron with mass scatter lasers for a stupid amount of S6 shots, other than that, I don't think the eldar 'dex brings much to Tau, the assault orientated units (while certainly useful) are horrendously over costed

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the comment! Your point is clear and very interesting!

I peaked at the different options you pointed out, and hesitated between Orks and GW.

Having never played against Grey Knights I knew absolutely nothing about them. After reading the codex and seeing the models, I decided to create a test list.

Keep in mind I know nothing about GKs and that this list is not the most competitive you will find. Comments are therefore more than welcomed!

Here is the list;

HQ: 98
Shas’el, TA, Cyclic ion blaster, Burst canon, HWMT, Stimulant injector = 98

Elites: 462
2 suits, Twin-linked flamer, Missile pod = 90

Troops: 320
7 fire warriors = --
7 fire warriors = --
Devilfish, DP = 85
Devilfish, DP, flechette discharger = 95

Fast attack : 140

Heavy support : 545
2 broadsides, TA,Team leader, HWDC+1Shield drone = 180
2 broadsides, A.S.S.,Team leader, HWDC+1Shield drone = 180
1 hammerhead, Railhead, MT, Flechette discharger, smart missile, DP = 185

GREY KNIGHT : 430
HQ :
Inquisitor Coteaz = 100

Troops :
5 Terminators = 200

Heavy Support :
Nemesis Dreadknight = 130

I thought of getting a 10 men strong Terminator squad and replacing the Corteaz with a cheap HQ to use the GKs special rule and split the unit into 2X5 men strong squads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.