Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am new to Fantasy, having started this year. I bought a second hand unpainted VC army without having played or read any of the rules and army books. So I am basically playing with what I have. Did buy the skeletons though. Will add other units to my collection as I go along, but would prefer to finish painting what I have and gain more experience.

Count: Curse of Rev, Summon Ghouls, Iron Sinews (340 pts)
Thrall: Bat Forms (125 pts)
Necromancer: Power Familiar (150 pts)
Necromancer: Book of Arkhan, Dispel Scroll (150 pts)

18 Skeletons: Full Command, Shields, Armour (205 pts)
10 Ghouls (80 pts)
10 Ghouls (80 pts)
10 Ghouls (80 pts)
10 Ghouls (80 pts)
10 Ghouls (80 pts)
6 Ghouls (48 pts)

8 Black Knights: Full Command, Barding, Banner of the Barrows (285 pts)

5 Fell Bats (100 Pts)
5 Fell Bats (100 Pts)

8 Dire Wolves including Doom Wolf (90 pts)

# Models: 104
Casting Dice: 9
Dispel: 6

The plan I have formulated is that I deploy the Ghouls in front, and at the back and sides when I ran out of room. :) I then deploy the Bats on each flank with the Flying Thrall behind one of them to go war machine hunting. The Skeletons, Knights and Wolves then go where I think I have the best chance of inflicting the most damage with the least amount of losses. So far my opponents have always finished deploying by the time I get to my skeletons and knights. Count goes with the skeletons, and the necromancers are positioned close to one of the ghoul units and provide support to the main attack. I am playing around with the death spells on one of them to try out some shooting spells. Helps against those pesky doomseekers.

My main opponent is an experienced player with Dwarves. Mainly Slayers. Results so far are

Vs Slayers: Loss. My first game and we made contact on my first turn. Second turn I was history. Learnt a lot of valuable lessons.
Vs Slayers: Draw. Skirmished and picked my battles. Had a slight advantage when we finished.
Vs Orcs: Win. This was a big victory against another player, with over 1000 vp difference. Got to love that Orc magic and miscasts.
Vs Dwarves: Win: This was a minor victory, with him having 1 unit left on the table and me with 7.

So far I am reasonably happy with the army, but am not sure how it would go against other armies. It is very manoeuvrable, although the ghouls fleeing can get a bit irritating. But they seem to be doing their job quite well. Might look at dropping 2-3 units of ghouls and putting in some grave guard. But that will have to wait.

I have about 20 more ghouls and 2 banshees I could use. But have enough ghouls and the Banshees are not that much use against dwarves.

I figure that if I can beat slayers on a regular basis that I could take on most armies.

Comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin

·
Now 17% more helpful
2,431 Posts
The only problem with suggesting anything really important to change is the lack of alternative models you have.

The list is very well Strigoi themed, but the lack of rank and file troops with ranks will kill you in the long run. Units of zombies or skeletons should be the backbone of any force. These are the things you should be looking into acquiring.

:ninja:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

There is a box of Skeletons and Zombies on the shelf, waiting to be bought. Plus some grave guard. But I am trying to resist the temptation. But I will probably buy the zombies and skeletons for raising purposes in the mean time.

The problem I see with adding another unit of skeletons/zombies is that they will not have a character to inflict some casualties. My Thrall is off hunting in the rear, and is proving very effective in this role. The bats just don't seem to have the punch to clear out the dwarf artillerymen quickly, and then get tied up for too long or almost wiped out.

And to take another unit of skeletons (18 with command) would mean losing about 28 Ghouls.

·
Registered
243 Posts
i believe summon ghouls summons d3+2, cant be asked to get my book so just going from memory. Once summoned they come form any table edge and so are good at hunting war machines. I think he should keep it.

Your count is almost impposible to kill, i like it. Watch out for killing blow tho since you only got a 5+ against it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, the ghouls are d3+1. They are useful for attacking at the back, even if they soak up one round of shooting from the artillery. That gives the Bats and Thrall a better chance of attacking with numbers. I am waiting for the day that they can ambush a magic user. :)

As for my count, the 5 times I have used regeneration, I have failed them all. First time he died, second time I luckily only had 2 wounds to regenerate. But he lasted the game at 1 wound. I am hoping that I will start to roll 4+ in the future.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Ghouls aren't undead, so it would make less sense being able to raise them, the bloodline power works because they come in from an edge (right?) so its like you are calling them out. Also, ghouls are alot more powerful if they don't flee.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.