Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have an IG force currently that is pretty standard: you know, a large mass of infantry platoons with heavy weapons supported by some leman russes and a basilisk. Unfortunately I don't do as well with this setup as I'd like to. There's a ladder tournament coming up at my local shop, and I was thinking of expanding into a more vehicle oriented Guard army to make it more competitive, hopefully. Here's what I came up with so far:

Doctrines:
Grenadiers
Close Order Drill
Veterans
Drop Troops

HQ

Command Platoon (275)

Command Squad (110)
Senior officer: plasma pistol, power weapon
4 Guardsmen: 4 plasma guns

Sentinel Squadron (165)
3 Sentinels: lascannons

ELITES

Hardened Veterans (85)
Sergeant: plasma pistol, CCW
4 Veterans: 3 melta guns, 1 lasgun

Hardened Veterans (85)

Hardened Veterans (85)

TROOPS

Grenadiers (217)
10 Grenadiers: 2 plasma guns
Chimera: multilaser, hull heavy bolter, pintle heavy stubber

Grenadiers (217)

Grenadiers (217)

FAST ATTACK

Hellhound (115)

Hellhound (115)

Hellhound (115)

HEAVY SUPPORT

Leman Russ Battle Tank (155)
Hull heavy bolter, sponson heavy bolters

Leman Russ Battle Tank (155)

Leman Russ Demolisher (165)

As you can see, the proliferation of anti-infantry geared vehicles in this list should _in theory_ be enough to take out just about any kind of infantry, from large swarms to MEQs.

The grenadiers will be used for rapid firing, holding objectives, and nailing mid range vehicles with their plasma weapons, as well as just filling out the list a little.

The veterans, command squad, and sentinels will drop and blast heavy vehicles and heavier infantry to bits, hopefully getting side and back armor shots off.

The general strategy is to hope I can just bury my opponent under the sheer volume of shots and templates produced by my tanks and infantry until the drop troopers arive to deliver the killing blow.

Anyways, what do you guys think? Is this a viable way to run a guard list? If this isn't tournament viable (and I know you guys are the best), please be brutally honest. I'm hoping to bring my record up from my current mediocre half wins and half losses.

Thanks,
Bitmapman

·
Shrug, k...
1,350 Posts
mech lists are always hit-or-miss, it'll all really depend on how much anti-tank your enemy has and how many good tank-killing rolls he gets.

i'd really consider putting extra amor and smoke launchers on all your tanks though, those two upgrades imo should be standard since they can really save your tanks at times (get shaken, then move out of sight or pop smoke instead of being stuck in the open ready to get easily shot next turn) and them getting the opportunity to just keep a tank in perpetual stun effectively kills its use that game.
to get points for that, i think the grenadier squads could stand to drop down to 8-man squads, might have to also drop a plasma pistol or two as well, but up to you. maybe just settle for extra armor on all and smoke only on the transports (since their survival is important to get those guys where thye need to be) and the russes with whatever is leftover.

·
I Expect the Inquisition
1,422 Posts
I like the list. It takes all the elements you'd want to bring for shock value and still has some durability. It is basically Guard-Zilla.

Like Certemplar says, you will roll some lists and get hammered by others. Target selection is key to vistory for you. Eliminate the heavy weapons and fast moving powerfists first. Your Hellhounds are you countercharge units :)

·
4,967 Posts
HQ: This is a suicide unit with enormous firepower. I guarantee that it will not get a second shot as the opponent will sink enough firepower into it to kill it. Thats fine but drop the officer down to a junior.

Hardened vets look good. See that one chap with a lasgun in each squad. swap him for a shotgun or pistol/ccw so you can charge after firing the meltas.

Grenadiers are fine. Move the stubbers onto the hellhounds as sometimes chimeras need to move 12" and not fire to deliver passengers. Smoke on chimeras deffinatly.

Hellhounds need extra armour and the pintels from above.

Tanks are fine but smoke would help.

For the points for these tweaks I would drop plasma pistols from some vets and also buy iron discipline for the officer.

·
596 Posts
I agree in part with Cartemplar and Mad cat.

Drop all plasma pistols.

Drop the HQ officer to a junior.

You can safely drop a couple of Genadiers from each squad to gain more points for Smoke and Extra armour for all vehicles and stubbers for the hell hounds and chimeras.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts