Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Experimenting with an trying to make an effective shooty army for DH. Here is what I have:

HQ:
- GK Grand Master (Icon of Just)
- Inq Lord (Psycannon, Emp Tarot)
-- 1 Sage
-- 2 Warr (Heavy Bolt)
-- Land Raider (extra armor)

Troops:
- 5 GK (2 Psycannons in each)
- Same as above

Elite:
- 3 Inq (w/ Psycannon) each with
-- 1 Sage
-- 1 Warr (Heavy Bolt)

Heavy:
- 3 Dread (Lascan, Missile, extra armor)

(Allied)
Fast Attack:
- 8 Seraphim (Vet w/ Pwr Weap, 1 w/ flamer, 1 w/ inferno)

Elite:
- Vindicare Assassin

Basically with this setup you get 8 Psycannons, 5 Heavy Bolters (6 if you count the Land Raider), 5 Twin-Linked Lascannons, 3 missile launchers, a Vindicare assassin, and seraphim squad for good measure. That's a lot of long range firepower.

·
durus
2,578 Posts
Very Shooty list. Why have the Grandmaster at all?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Diggums Hammer said:
Very Shooty list. Why have the Grandmaster at all?
You need a GK Hero to take the dreads, and given the choice, Grandmaster beats Brother-Capt in my book always.

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
You could make an even shootier list if you dropped the Land Raider. Use a Chimera for a transport, instead. You've already got three long-range dreadnoughts. That's got to be enough. And with the freed up points, you can give your GM a psycannon -- an oversight it seems to me. Also, if you really wish to concentrate on shooting over CC, I would go with a Brother-Captain over a Grand Master myself. You'll get a bunch of useful points, there.

That said, I would actually convert one, maybe even two, of your dreads to the AC/DCCW build. For variety, a different "shooty focus" than the other dread(s), and to free up a few more points.

With all these points, give your Inquisitor Lord a bigger and better retinue -- like a plasma cannon servitor, a mystic, possibly some acolytes with storm bolters, possibly another sage.

One or more units of ISTs in Chimeras with plasma guns would also work well in a shooty-heavy list.

Frankly, if it's shooting you want, and psycannons in particular, don't get GK troops with psycannons at all. Too many points for too little gain. Get two units of shooty ISTs to satisfy your troop minimums, then get three Elite Inquisitors, each with a psycannon. Give at least one of them a shooty retinue and a Chimera, join at least one of the other Inquisitors with that one. Put your final Inquisitor with this unit or with the Inquisitor Lord. Now you've got a few light tanks, several good AP weapons, and a bunch of metal flying around.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
number6 said:
You could make an even shootier list if you dropped the Land Raider.
Yeah, but you can't beat the punch of 2 TL Lascannons and a Heavy Bolter.

number6 said:
And with the freed up points, you can give your GM a psycannon -- an oversight it seems to me. Also, if you really wish to concentrate on shooting over CC, I would go with a Brother-Captain over a Grand Master myself. You'll get a bunch of useful points, there.
I couldn't fit in the GM having a Psycannon. Besides, his main goal is to Deep Strike and get into cc ASAP. That's why I gave him the Icon.

number6 said:
That said, I would actually convert one, maybe even two, of your dreads to the AC/DCCW build. For variety, a different "shooty focus" than the other dread(s), and to free up a few more points.
Problem witht he Assault Cannon and CCW is the range and a dread will prob not get close enough before getting shot up.

number6 said:
With all these points, give your Inquisitor Lord a bigger and better retinue -- like a plasma cannon servitor, a mystic, possibly some acolytes with storm bolters, possibly another sage.
Nah, I only have him so I can get the LR. Why have another sage with BS5? And I have to worry about the mixed armor save deal. That's why the number is at a bare minimum.

number6 said:
One or more units of ISTs in Chimeras with plasma guns would also work well in a shooty-heavy list.
Plasma guns are nothing to sneeze at, but I like the longer range on the psycannons.

number6 said:
Frankly, if it's shooting you want, and psycannons in particular, don't get GK troops with psycannons at all. Too many points for too little gain. Get two units of shooty ISTs to satisfy your troop minimums, then get three Elite Inquisitors, each with a psycannon.
Um, that's what I did. At least with the Inquisitors.

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
Laplace said:
Um, that's what I did. At least with the Inquisitors.
Whoops! So you did. My bad. Somehow I passed over that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts