Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first rough attempt at a Armoured Co. My main objective is a good mix of GKs and AC tanks. I've always felt it was funny GKs never had the support for big assualts (can't afford a Thunderhawk), and sisters didn't make sense, either did regular IG since they couldn't withstand the horror, so what was my Inquisitor to do but go to the AC. The Inquisitor is in it for more fluff than effectiveness, hardly need more firepower, but his ability to take shots at deepstrikers will help defend the rear of the Russ'.

HQ - Russ, lascannon, plasma cannon sides
anti-tank shells, upgrade sponsons, etc.

HQ - GK Grandmaster and 4 GK Terminators

E - Inquisitor Metalstorm squad (sometimes would be another small GK Termie squad)
psycannon, plasma cannon, heavy bolter x2, etc.

((E - 7 Inquisitorial Stormtroopers, 2 meltaguns (2500pt options)
chimera, HB x2, etc.))

T - Russ, lascannon, plasma cannon sides

T - Russ, lascannon, plasma cannon sides

T - 10 GKs, 1 Incinerator

FA - 10 GKs, 2 psycannons

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am not a GK expert, so i will try to confine myself to the AC half of the list.

HQ seems fine, but with all heavy weapons, if you want to shoot much you will have to stay still. AT shells seem to help out with the GK anti armor problem somewhat well. As for the improved sponsons, paying 15 points for the upgrade is up to you and whether you face heavy infantry often. Same for the troop tanks, although the AT shells will miss half the time.

Tried and failed. The incinerator on the GK squad seems useless to me. Moving them up the field it will never be shot. A psycannon seems more in place here with its range.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Interesting. It never occurred to me to mix AC and GK before. On the one hand, AC certainly shores up GK weaknesses. On the other hand, I'm not entirely sure you're getting the most out of the lists either. GK and AC have a common weakness, namely low numbers, and this list (if I read it right) plays to that weakness for both lists.

I mean you're looking at 3 tanks and, what, 33 infantry? In 2000 points? That's a little bit crazy. Every unit is super elite, sure, but that doesn't put wounds on the table. And at 2000 points, most lists will include three pieces of opposition armor, some of which will heavily outclass AC Russes on a tank-for-tank basis.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Only commenting on the Daemonhunters portion, as that's what I know:

HQ - GK Grandmaster and 4 GK Terminators
Nothing wrong here. The GM has no need of any real wargear, and you don't need to waste points upgrading an already expensive squad. Deepstriking them, I assume?

E - Inquisitor Metalstorm squad (sometimes would be another small GK Termie squad)
psycannon, plasma cannon, heavy bolter x2, etc.
I have no idea whats in a Metalstorm squad (and yes I know its from GW's site). A good retinue for a shooty Inquisitor is 2 Sages (they give the Inq a better BS and a reroll for the unit, which should always be saved for the Plasma Cannon as it can prevent overheat), 1 Mystic (to shoot at incoming Deepstrikers and Summoned units), and 3 Gun Servitors (which you've handled). For the Inquisitor, *only* Auspex and a Psycannon.

((E - 7 Inquisitorial Stormtroopers, 2 meltaguns (2500pt options)
chimera, HB x2, etc.))

T - 10 GKs, 1 Incinerator
Inquisitorial Stormtroopers count as Troops, not Elites. And you're only ever allowed one Elite slot from Allies anyways. The problem here is that you have three Troops choices. Allied units are only allowed two Troop units total. Oh, and only one Fast Attack as well, so don't try to shift this GK unit there.

Also, the Incinerator might be a waste - GK on foot will rarely get in range to use it before being charged themselves. Lose the Incinerator, keep the +2S bonus and True Grit.

FA - 10 GKs, 2 psycannons
Remember above when I said that it's best to keep the +2S bonus and True Grit? Applies double to FAGK units. What you're doing here is paying *double* the cost of a regular GK to *remove* his combat ability. With a special weapon, a GK is just an expensive marine. If anything, one Incinerator is alright here (they'll have the range to use it), or nothing.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feebdback. A few thoughts

STs are elites in the AC list. Ironic that the ST squads if I put any in it would come from the AC and not the DH part.

I put psycannons in my deep strikers since I always pop tank butts in games. But with the tanks, I no longer need those. Old habit. Incins are only because I want it to work someday, knowing it never will.

Also, I play 1850 - 2000pt games and have the same, or very close to amount of GKs. EVEN with 3 AC tanks. So I was trying to figure what I was loosing. Basically I used to do 2 ST squads in chims and a dread and assassin. So that's the sacrifice for the AC tanks. All I can say is I'll miss the Callidus, but my opponents won't.

I'll post my LONG garbage about my reasoning.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Radical Ordo Mallus Armoured Co.

The idea was conceived from a combination of on-table tactics, and my own ideas of ideal DH fluff. It's also nothing new, I'm just trying to give it story and character to help support what I think is a kick ass army. The rules are a IG Armoured Co with inducted GKs. The AC list provides very fluffy doctrines which explain the abilities and tactics of a daemonhunting tank core.

Reason for the new list search:
Storm troopers are cool, but frankly don't stand a chance if the job requires GKs in the first place. GKs are called in when the odds and horror is far beyond a human's grasp. Thus the reason for all their abilities and training. However, this doesn't mean they don't need support or the help of their elite storm trooper friends, I just don't think it's what the list says it is. Rolling around in chims with hellguns is not what an Inquisitor would want when he asks for support of his assault units. But if you put the skills and training of a ST in a tank, trained on how to use it to support GKs, now you have a unit that makes sense. And with AC doctrine rules, you can make it sound really cool to the daemonhunting theme.

The following is based strictly on the AC rules and it completely legal.

ST Tank Unit Description: ST tanks are deployed using specially converted Thunderhawk Transports. The STs are highly trained tank crews and use their tanks in ways that make crews of the IG shutter. Because of this they have developed a reputation of being suicidal and reckless with precious resources like the russ, but have also earned respect.
Weapons: There are few variations employed by the STs, but the most common is the battle cannon with hull mounted heavy bolter and side sponson incinerators (heavy flamer, same thing). Many STs also take pride in emerging from the safety of their tanks to gun down daemons with the pintle storm-bolters.
Skills: Sharpshooters - STs are elite marksmen and it shows when they are in tanks as well as on foot. Side Sponsons - After crushing the chaos armour, STs charge their tanks into combat using the side sponson incinerators to purg the deamons along side their GK brethren. Tank Shock - In addition to using the side sponsons in cc, STs don't hesitate to dive through their enemies.
Upgrades: Because of the close quarters nature of the ST crews, extra armour is added to the sides as well as tank guards.

The List (AC rules): 2000pts
HQ - Command Tank
HQ2 - GKGM and squad
E - Inquisitor, metalstorm, Chim
T1 - ST Russ tank
T2 - ST Russ tank
T3 - GKs
T4 - GKs
FA - GKs

Modeling Concepts:
The tanks would be painted in a very dark red and black camo sceme. What you would expect a dameon world to look like. Camo isn't an issue when you drop in and charge anyway. The tanks would also be covered in inquisitorial symbols thanks to forgeworld's brass sheets. I'm also ordering the ST chim commander for the command tank, this should be very cool.

Additional Fluff Thoughts:
The Inquisitor is considered radical and the ties to the Mechanicus Cult are creating concern as well as his unusual tactics. (adding a techmarine in bigger games should be cool for this)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And another spam of my own posts, I chose AC doctrines for fluff more than abilities as you can see.

A predator annih can blast me out of the water. A crusader can deliver termies, etc. But still, 3 AV14 tanks with deep striking GKs can't be a bad thing.

·
The Demagogue
485 Posts
You say your inquisitor is a radical, yet he is using GK which would sooner pump his head full of storm bolter ammo than join anyone slightly heretical. If you wanna do a radical inquisitor you can't use gk, but you can use daemonhosts *drool* .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts