Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working towards this list for a while now, just want some feedback before I buy the last few models.

HQ

Mek - SAG, Eavy - 100pts
Warboss - Eavy, Klaw - 90pts

Elites
10 Lootas - No Meks - 150pts
7 tanksbustas - 2 hammers, nob, Klaw, pole - 130pts
7 kommandos - 2 burnas, nob, pole - 115pts

Troops
30 choppa boys - 180pts
30 choppa boys - 180pts
20 choppa boys - 120pts
20 slugga boys - 2 big shootas - 130pts
30 grots - 3 runtherds - 120pts
20 grots - 2 runtherds - 80pts

Fast Attack
5 warbikes - Nob, pole, big choppa - 145pts
5 warbikes - Nob, pole, big choppa - 145pts
2 warbuggies - Rokkits, riggers - 80pts

Heavy Support
Deff Dread - 2 rokkits, riggers - 100pts
Deff Dread - 2 big shootas - 85 pts
Looted wagon - Red, 1 rokkit - 50 pts

Total 2000pts, 196 models

I haven't got all the boys yet, or any grots or 5 lootas. Wagon transports the tankbustas, warbikes hit weak armour vehicles, boys hit everything else. Remainder are for distraction purposes.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Here's a question

How is all that going to fit in your deployment zone?

Last weekend, I ran a 2000 point army with three units of footsloggers, and that was hard enough to fit. You're planning to fit 150 models, along with a full regiment of bikes, elites and heavies. Are you sure it'll fit? Remember, some missions have smaller deployment zones than others.

Also, if you plan to slog the majority of your army, you'll need Ghasghkull, to ensure that they all get a full 6in WAUGGGGHHH. Even in that case, I'd still take at least two units of trukks, just to hold back and help counter assault when things begin to get rough, and to grab hold of objectives.

Second, get some nobs in those units, for Pete's sake! The nob with the power klaw is the way slugga boyz beat dreads and monstrous creatures. Imagine a tyranid player moving his high point cost hive tyrant into the middle of your sluggas. If it's toughness 9, your sluggas are doing nothing except slowing it down. If it's toughness 8, you'll have a single round to kill it, assuming you get the assault, and it'll get it's best save against every last one of the attacks. The powerklaw will hurt it on a roll of a 4 or 5, and will force it to use it's lower invulnerable save. This doesn't mean you have to buy nobz. Feel free to convert them out of spare parts. All they really need is a powerklaw.

Third, drop the 'eavy armor and give them cybork bodies instead. An invulnerable save is going to make much more of a difference than a slightly improved save.

Fourth, field one unit of 9 bikes instead two of 5. Use the extra points to give the nob a klaw. Trust me.

Fifth, field the two buggies individually, in two units of one buggy each. Lose the grott riggers. The buggies aren't tough enough for it to make enough of a difference.

Sixth, drop the nob and various extras from the kommandos, and then either increase their number to nine, or drop their number to five. The same goes for the tankbustas. If they're out in the open, they're most likely going to die no matter what, so there's no point in paying a lot extra just to try and keep them alive. If your heart is attached to them, then drop one of the two, and put the points into the other, to increase the number of guys in it and increase its ability to survive.

Even if you ignore everything I've said, for the love of God, please add a nob with a powerklaw to each unit of slugga boyz. Things will get really ugly if you don't.

Good luck!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Um hive tyrants are max toughness 6... only demons and necron c'tan get toughness that high. The table we commonly play on here is 4' by 8', so it is possible to fit the 200 models in the deployment zone, just not spaced much.

Having taken into account what you said here is a revised version

HQ

Mek - SAG, Cybork - 105pts
Warboss - Cybork, Klaw - 95pts

Elites
10 Lootas - No Meks - 150pts
10 tanksbustas - 2 hammers, nob, Klaw, pole - 175pts
9 kommandos - 2 burnas, nob, pole - 135pts

Troops
20 choppa boys - Nob, Klaw - 155pts
20 slugga boys - 2 big shootas - 130pts
10 choppa boys - trukk (red), nob, Klaw, Pole - 140pts
10 choppa boys - trukk (red), nob, Klaw, Pole - 140pts

Fast Attack
9 warbikes - Nob, pole, klaw - 265pts
warbuggy - Rokkits - 35pts
warbuggy - Rokkits - 35pts

Heavy Support
Killa Kans - Big Shootas - 80pts
Looted wagon - Red, 1 rokkit - 50 pts

Total 2000pts, 147 models

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Oops

Sorry, I had Tyranids and Chaos mixed up, but I could have sworn Hive Tyrants got at least as high as toughness 8. Am I thinking of Carnifexes? I may just be mixed up.

Anyway, the list looks a lot better, in my opinion, but I was wondering, why not two units of 29 boyz, instead of three with 20? They'll last longer that way. Splitting them up makes them a little more versatile, granted, but I'd be more worried about slogging through heavy fire, and making it into close combat.

Also, why are some listed as 'choppa' and others 'slugga'? The types are slugga (pistol and weapon), and shoota (large machinegun). Choppas were huge axes that they removed in the new codex. Now they're all called sluggas. I just wanted to make sure I understood what types of troops you're using.

Anyway, the list looks good. Good luck!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fexes only get up to 7, very few things are immune to bolter fire these days, 7 is the highest I'm ever likely to encounter as its a Nid and marine heavy play environment here.

I used a mob of 25 boys last Saturday, I found it difficult to keep them away from rough ground and spread out enough to minimise losses from vindicators.(There were 2!)

Sorry bout the slugga, it should read shoota, so there is 1 squad for slog-and-shoot. Is it worthwhile trying to fit in a battlewagon to transport a 20 mob and generally distract from my foot mobs?

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Hmm...

Fexes only get up to 7, very few things are immune to bolter fire these days, 7 is the highest I'm ever likely to encounter as its a Nid and marine heavy play environment here.

I used a mob of 25 boys last Saturday, I found it difficult to keep them away from rough ground and spread out enough to minimise losses from vindicators.(There were 2!)

Sorry bout the slugga, it should read shoota, so there is 1 squad for slog-and-shoot. Is it worthwhile trying to fit in a battlewagon to transport a 20 mob and generally distract from my foot mobs?
Trukks do that better, but in my armies I usually field one or two looted wagons, either with a small group of tankbustas or empty, and have them charge forward, to both serve as a distraction and give cover to the units behind them.

In both those things, they are successful, but they rarely manage to survive, and the same goes for their passengers. I'd assume that just about anything you rush forward in front of the rest of your army is probably going to die. The benefit of using looted wagons and small units, is that if they die, it doesn't matter.

Even the battlewagon's 14/12/10 won't last if they can accurately hit side armor. Honestly, I haven't tried battlewagons yet, but I used to play IG, so I know how russes fare, and to me, battlewagons seem to have the paradox of being most useful at close range, but only capable of surviving at long range. With russes, this isn't a problem, as they have very long range weaponry, but battlewagons have powerful, yet short range weapons.

For anti-armor, rokkits are your best bet. I usually field them on buggies, but you can also include several in any of your mobz. Tankbustas also work well, if you can sneak them up accurately. If nothing else, the shokk attack gun works well. I usually also field a looted wagon with an ordnance gun, which works fairly well (as long as the wagon doesn't careen out of control).

For minimizing losses, you can field and attach Mad Doc Grotznik, to give the whole mob 'feel no pain'. The problem with this, is that they have to move and assault the nearest enemy, regardless of what it is.

The best way to minimize losses, however, is to simply give them another target to shoot at. Rush a trukk, looted wagon, or a few buggies up to keep your opponent busy. If you're interested in transports, I still believe trukks will serve you better than battlewagons, at least when transporting regular boyz. Battlewagons are expensive, and not quite as tough as they first seem. Also, remember that even if you load a battlewagon up with weapons, if you move 12in, you can only fire one large weapon, and two defensive, so loading it up with rokkits probably isn't a good idea.

In any case, find what works best for you. Take care!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have considered that, I may playtest one out tomorrow to see if I like what it can do. As for rokkits in mobs, I have used all the rokkits available to make the tankbusta squad. I have nothing against the regular ones but I prefer to minimise the pewter count of my armies and they cost a little too much $$$ for a "throw away" unit.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Personaly I think warpead's are the key to foot slogging orks. You take 2, then you get 4 tries at a 6 (wagggghhh) Personaly I think that getting your army d6 closer a turn is worth a shock attack gun, and even a warboss (yes yes, blaspheme)

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
and...

Personaly I think warpead's are the key to foot slogging orks. You take 2, then you get 4 tries at a 6 (wagggghhh) Personaly I think that getting your army d6 closer a turn is worth a shock attack gun, and even a warboss (yes yes, blaspheme)
I think Ghasghkull is more important, actually. He provides a free, full 6in wagggghhh every game, whenever you want it. A warpead is nice too, but in a footslogging army, I'm worried more about rolling high on the waggghhh d6, and enemy armor (especially ordnance).

Imagine if you're playing against Imperial Guard, Tau or Eldar, and they're loaded up with tanks/skimmers. Sure, you can charge them while wagggghhhing, but since they can move 12in or more, they're probably going to be able to outmaneuver you. The shokk attack gun helps keep pressure upon them, and is a very underrated HQ choice, in my opinion.

The warpead works too, but I'd be sure to keep him out front, to get the most advantage of his other abilities, if they're rolled. Two of them seems like overkill to me.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So after forgetting to play out a warphead, I learned why everybody says to put Klaw nobs in boy mobs. Boys get owned without them. The kommandos killed 8 24pt genestealers but will be swapped out for 7 tankbustas in a looted wagon. The tankhammers are kinda useless without being power weapons so are replaced with rokkits. The warboss spectated for most of the game. He will be replaced with either a warphead or another big mek with either SAG or force field.

I did however try out a battlewagon with deff rolla. That was super fun. 6 wounds on a 5 wound carnifex. Gotta love it. Too bad he saved 5...

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Yes

So after forgetting to play out a warphead, I learned why everybody says to put Klaw nobs in boy mobs. Boys get owned without them. The kommandos killed 8 24pt genestealers but will be swapped out for 7 tankbustas in a looted wagon. The tankhammers are kinda useless without being power weapons so are replaced with rokkits. The warboss spectated for most of the game. He will be replaced with either a warphead or another big mek with either SAG or force field.

I did however try out a battlewagon with deff rolla. That was super fun. 6 wounds on a 5 wound carnifex. Gotta love it. Too bad he saved 5...
I agree on all counts. Boyz need powerklaws in order to be effective.

After playing a few games, I've found that powerklaws definitely outperform tankhammers, and since the PKs are only 15 points in tankbusta teams, you might as well take one. Powerklaws are just as effective at killing armor, and in CC, denying your enemies saves is more important than high strength hits. On that note, that's why I'm not crazy about big choppas either. Give me the PK every time.

The big mek is definitely my favorite ork HQ, but I've been meaning to give the warphead a try as well. I also hear that Ghazghkull does really well with footsloggers.

Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.