Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. This is my first ever Space Marine list that i am planning on putting together after i finish my 2000pt Airborne Steel Legion list. I have decided to go with an elite force of infantry in lots of Razorbacks so i can dish out some firepower as well as being very mobile at the same time as i find the idea of an elite strike force of Marines to be rather cool (also due to budget!). Im also thinking on converting some "Stryker" models to use in place of my Razorbacks, not sure yet. Anyways this is my first attempt at Marines:

HQ:
-Pedro Kantor
-Sternguard Veteran Squad
*x1 Sgt w/ Combi Melta
*x4 Veterans w/ x2 Multi Melta
-Razorback
*w/ TL-Assault Cannon

-Total HQ: 400

ELITES:
*x1 Sgt w/ Flamer
-Razorback
*w/ TL-Assault Cannon

*x1 Sgt w/ Flamer
-Razorback
*w/ TL-Assault Cannon

-Total Elite: 450pts

TROOPS:
-Tactical Squad
*x1 Sgt w/ Combi Melta
*x5 Marines w/ Bolters
-Razorback
*w/ TL-Assault Cannon

-Tactical Squad
*x1 Sgt w/ Combi Melta
*x5 Marines w/ Bolters
-Razorback
*w/ TL-Assault Cannon

-Total Troops: 382pts

HEAVY SUPPORT:
-Devastator Squad
*x1 Sgt.
*x5 Marines w/ x5 Hvy Bolters
-Razorback
*w/ TL-Lascannon

-Devastator Squad
*x1 Sgt.
-Razorback
*w/ TL-Lascannon

-Devastator Squad
*x1 Sgt.
-Razorback
*w/ TL-Lascannon

-Total Heavy Support: 768pts

This is 2000pts exactly. The idea with this list would be to have my devastators and lascannon weilding razobacks to target both anti-infatry and anti tank at a distance with my other squads mounted in Razorbacks to unleash a massive wave of firepower i believe capable of taking on any army. Also with Pedro in my army my Sternguard units can take and hold objectives as well. Again this is my first list so any and all help and comments are appreciated, thanks!

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
Razorback list hmm?? Looks pretty neat to me!

A few tweaks may be in order however.

Sweet as multimeltas are, losing the special ammo on your sternguard is something I view as a capital sin of list building for space marines. Swap the multimeltas and flamers out for combi-meltas. This way you can disembark, waste a transport, and even assault afterwards if you feel a swarm of krak grenades would be necessary against the target.

Personally I've always figured missile launchers are more useful on devestators, this way they become more flexible. What if your enemy is mechanized (or Necrons) and all those S5 shots aren't any good to you? With missiles you could start destroying transports, reap monstrous creatures down (especially important with the new Tyranid codex out now) and give your opponent something to think about in the ways of cover. Oh right, and the four small blasts a turn should pour out roughly the same number of wounds against hordes as heavy bolters would.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I see your points, would it be better to give my Sgts. for my sternguard squads combi meltas instead of flamers? That way 4 out of the 6 men in the unit will be able to use special ammo. The reason i like the multi-meltas in the Sternguard squads is that its range 24 and has the chance to pop some vehicles as well as elite infantry, was thinking about heavy flamers as well but as you see i will have over 45 heavy bolter shots a turn which is quite scary if you think about it for any horde army to face down. My lascannon toting razorbacks will be on anti-tank which means i will be able to at least (theoretically) destroy at least 1 vehicle per turn. Also with Pedro in my army it means that my sternguard veterans as well as my Tac squads will be able to take objectives and if you add in 5 twin linked assault cannons firing every turn well that also will just add to the volume of firepower at my disposal.

·
Too Sexy For My Whirlwind
1,148 Posts
Surprised it wasn't mentioned but you can only get 4 heavy weapons in a Dev squad. And I would agree that Missile Launchers are better than HB's, the 12 small blasts you get will be just as good as the 36 Hb shots and the ability to switch to Krak missiles is invaluable.
Also keep in mind that multimeltas are heavy, so your sternguard squads with them can't fire them on the move, hence making them considerably less dangerous as you cant fire them the turn you get out of a razorback, which brings me to the real problem I see with the list:
Baring the dev squads, who are fine enough, your list is Ultra-fragile. Just about anything can take on a 5 man marine squad and whiile their fine enough to use when supported by other squads having just a bunch of them running around will find you short on guys very quickly. This is especially true of the expensive sternguard and part of the reason why a multimelta won;t work well. When dealing with 5-mans, they need to get out of their transport and immiediately neutralize all nearby threats or risk being neutralized themselves, and whilst a multimelta is certainly destructive its only destructive after a turn of set-up.
Overall though considering the amount of armored support you have i'd say your doing alrght, just be sure to make good use of LOS'ing your enemy and cover to keep your forward squads safe.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright so judging from the help you guys have given me ive redone my list in hopes of making it better/stronger. Tell me what you think and again anyone is welcome to post opinions and ideas, thanks:

HQ:
-Pedro Kantor
*x1 Sgt w/ Combi Melta
*x4 Veterans w/ x2 Combi Melta, x2 Heavy Flamer
-Razorback
*w/ TL-Assault Cannon

-Total HQ: 410

ELITES:
*x1 Sgt w/ Combi-Melta
*x5 Veterans w/ x3 Combi Melta, x2 Heavy Flamer
-Razorback
*w/ TL-Assault Cannon

*x1 Sgt w/ Combi-Melta
*x5 Veterans w/ x3 Combi Melta, x2 Heavy Flamer
-Razorback
*w/ TL-Assault Cannon

-Total Elite: 530pts

TROOPS:
-Tactical Squad
*x1 Sgt w/ Combi-Melta
*x5 Marines w/ Bolters
-Razorback
*w/ TL-Assault Cannon

-Tactical Squad
*x1 Sgt w/ Combi-Melta
*x5 Marines w/ Bolter
-Razorback
*w/ TL-Assault Cannon

-Total Troops: 382pts

HEAVY SUPPORT:
-Devastator Squad
*x1 Sgt.
*x5 Marines w/ x4 Hvy Bolters
-Razorback
*w/ TL-Lascannon

-Devastator Squad
*x1 Sgt.
-Razorback
*w/ TL-Lascannon

-Devastator Squad
*x1 Sgt.
-Razorback
*w/ TL-Lascannon

-Total Heavy Support: 675pts

TOTAL ARMY: 1997pts

Alright with this list i have totally beefed up my Sternguard squads and instead of multi-meltas i gave them Heavy Flamers since every single other person in the squad has a combi-melta, this i believe will help against nid swarms and horde lists. Also with three twin linked lascannons and the amount of combi-meltas i should have enough anti-tank to take on most armies as i like the heavy bolters just because enough firepower will take care of most armies and to back them up i have 5 twin linked assault cannon razorbacks which will also be great against most vehicles, tell me what you think.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone? The second list any better? I only ask because i really want to know if it would be an army worth getting and spending money on and wether or not it would be competitive since i dont know a thing about marines. Thanks.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Devestators with 4 heavy bolters: 150pts
4 Razorbacks with twin-linked heavy bolters: 120pts

Heavy Bolter Devestators are not worth it, ever. If you really like devestators have missile launchers. If you must have heavy bolters then use 3 missile launchers and 1 heavy bolter, and use sergeants BS5 granting ability on the heavy bolter.
However, for the same points you could have a tactical squad with a slightly cheaper razorback (heavy bolter) and possibly special and heavy weapons. Or 3 vindicators for destruction of everything. Or for even less points 3 dakka preds (autocannon +2 heavy Bolters) which has 4 less shots but there all higher strength so wound T4 on 2+ and have better capabilities againt T5 and transports. They can also be used as anti-MC if your about to die. There are also may other options, I seriously recommend you think twice about the devestators.

The rest of the list is fine, i would say only one heavy flamer, sternguard ammuntion is just so good that the heavy flamer is only just worth the points. If you can find points somewhere get your sergeants power fists or at least power weapons. To be effective there going to have to get close and there is a high likelyhood they'll get charged. Also the sternguard sergeant model comes with a power fist.

Combat squad sergeant with combi-melta? so he fires his one shot whilst the rest of them watch him miss 1/3 of the time? If you want to take a combi-weapon take a flamer (works well with bolters as it targets the same thing, similar effective range, allows charge after it) but combis aren't necessary anyway.

Hope this helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts