Wildriders (6)- 174pts
Wild Hunter, Musician

Wildriders (6)- 174pts
Wild Hunter, Musician

Rare
Waywatcher (6)-

Treeman-

Total- 2000pts

My tatics are mostly around using the large number of units to get the flank in CC and remaining defensive magically.
Ideas?

·
Firefly
4,209 Posts
Here it goes:

Hero
Spellsinger- 150pts
Lvl2, Dispel Scroll

Spellsinger- 150pts
Lvl2, Dispel Scroll

Branchwraith- 165pts
Lvl 1, Annoyance of Nettlings, Radiance

Bit of a waste of potential. I would consider getting 50pts from somewhere and giving the level 2's some powerstones. This will give some offensive ability.

Core
Glade Guard (10)- 126pts
Musician

Glade Guard (10)- 126pts
Musician

Dryads (8)- 108pts
Branchnymph

Dryads (8)- 108pts
Branchnymph

Dryads (8)- 108pts
Branchnymph

Nymph's are not a great idea, one unit with a nymph will protect your wraith but having 3 units with them is a waste. They can be challenged and therefore reduce the units effectiveness against characters.

Special
Wildriders (6)- 174pts
Wild Hunter, Musician

Wildriders (6)- 174pts
Wild Hunter, Musician

Wildriders (6)- 174pts
Wild Hunter, Musician

Rare
Waywatcher (6)-

Similarly, Wild Hunters are not as good as standard bearers. The guarranteed bonus to combat resolution can tip the balance.

Treeman-

Total- 2000pts

My tatics are mostly around using the large number of units to get the flank in CC and remaining defensive magically.
Ideas?

I would drop a unit of wildriders for some gladeriders, a redirector units is invaluable. Then you can upgrade your 'singers with powerstones and have some bite in the magic phase.

Overall I don't like your character setup. It seems a bit of a waste to have essentially two scroll caddies. I would drop one of them for a combat character.

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would drop a unit of wildriders for some gladeriders, a redirector units is invaluable. Then you can upgrade your 'singers with powerstones and have some bite in the magic phase.

Overall I don't like your character setup. It seems a bit of a waste to have essentially two scroll caddies. I would drop one of them for a combat character.
Skarsgard-

I appreciate you replying so quickly and giving some very interesting feedback. However, I do have some questions though:

1) Since my army is so CC oriented, I feel like Tree Singing is going to be important for me to provide denial of LoS and give myself an effective flanking unit (I stick a unit of dryads in my free woods, tree sing them up between two blocks and which ever gets in combat first, I use them as flankers). So I really don't seeing myself using a whole lot of magic for offensive reasons, especially since most of the Lore of Athel Loren is defensive and these are simply lvl 2 wizards so they can't do a whole lot even with powerstones. I manly take them to defend myself against magic as you can see I generate 6 dispel dice. Am I wrong in this strategy or do you think I am missing something?

2) I don't really like Glade Riders because they are really high cost, can't do a whole lot offensively and for a couple points more, you can get Wild Riders which are amazing with all their special abilities. I guess if you could be more detailed in how I would use them that could persuade me.

3) I actually never thought about the whole challenging aspect of my dryad units, however, I take them because one attack makes a big difference when that is what you rely on to win combat. I guess I am kinda confused when you talk about reducing effectiveness against characters. Are you talking about lone character hunting or characters in a unit because either way, I don't see my dryads hunting after a lone guy and well as for challanges, being able to challange is better than not being able to or else you won't get a chance to take him out right? If you could elaborate further, that would be great.

So yeah, I am not trying to prove you wrong, I am just putting my thoughts on why I set up stuff and yeah, please let me know what you think. Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Skarsgard-

3) I actually never thought about the whole challenging aspect of my dryad units, however, I take them because one attack makes a big difference when that is what you rely on to win combat. I guess I am kinda confused when you talk about reducing effectiveness against characters. Are you talking about lone character hunting or characters in a unit because either way, I don't see my dryads hunting after a lone guy and well as for challanges, being able to challange is better than not being able to or else you won't get a chance to take him out right? If you could elaborate further, that would be great.
The problem as I see it*, is that when your Dryads get into melee, your opponent will declare a challenge and force your champion to focus all of their attacks on the opponents character, and no other model could attack the challenging character. Where as, if you had no champion, all units in base contact could attack that one character (6 attacks instead of 3), or if the unit was a low toughness an small unit count, you could focus all of your attacks on the non-character models (10 attacks instead of 8) and hope to route the unit before the character could inflict too much damage upon you.

On the other hand, if your opponent doesn't declare a challenge, or if you have another champion available to answer the challenge, you would have 11 attacks on the non-challenging models, or (best case) 7 attacks on a specific non-challenging model.

So, best case with a champion (champion flanked and no challenge issued), you are looking at 7 attacks on a point target and 4 on the front rank, or 11 attacks on the front rank. Worst case with a champion (champion answers a challenge) you are looking at 3 attacks on a point target and 8 attacks on the front rank. With out a champion (no best/worst case), you are looking at 6 attacks on a point target or 10 attacks on the front rank.

-Rick

* I am a newb though

·
Firefly
4,209 Posts
Skarsgard-

I appreciate you replying so quickly and giving some very interesting feedback. However, I do have some questions though:

1) Since my army is so CC oriented, I feel like Tree Singing is going to be important for me to provide denial of LoS and give myself an effective flanking unit (I stick a unit of dryads in my free woods, tree sing them up between two blocks and which ever gets in combat first, I use them as flankers). So I really don't seeing myself using a whole lot of magic for offensive reasons, especially since most of the Lore of Athel Loren is defensive and these are simply lvl 2 wizards so they can't do a whole lot even with powerstones. I manly take them to defend myself against magic as you can see I generate 6 dispel dice. Am I wrong in this strategy or do you think I am missing something?

The Lore of Athel Loren is complimentary, not defensive. It has a lot of great offensive spells in the list. The major problem is that since you have no real direct damage dealers you can't draw out dispel scrolls/dice early in the peice and when you want to get spells off, they are shut down. If you wish to focus on treesinging then take the Callingor's staff for one of them. Treesinging lists tend not to work too well due to being so easy to dispel. In your list you can cast it 4 times, once as a bound spell. That is very easy to stop for most lists. Powerstones are a personal choice, I would take them but they may not be your cup of tea.

2) I don't really like Glade Riders because they are really high cost, can't do a whole lot offensively and for a couple points more, you can get Wild Riders which are amazing with all their special abilities. I guess if you could be more detailed in how I would use them that could persuade me.

OK. The two have totally different roles. Glade Riders can flee from a charge, wildriders cannot. The ability to flee is a hugely important ability that lets you pull enemy units out of position. Have a read of the Tactica on Glade Riders (click here) , it will provide you with a lot of insight into their uses.

ThatRickguy answered this part fairly well. The fact is that for the same points you can get a whole extra dryad, so an extra two attacks and an extra wound.

At the end of the day, it's your army and you have to want to play it. When you post your list here we will add comments drawn from our own experiences to help out.

·
4,361 Posts
I would think about upping one of the spellsingers to a spellweaver. With the wand of wych elm you are very solid in defence and you can have an offensive punch. Spending all those points just for defence seems a bit of a waste.

I would drop the branchnymphs also, and one of the waywatchers as I think minimum is best for them. Glade riders are really good too, as they would really be your only bait and flee unit which they are great at. They are fragile but most of our units are. You should also probably drop a unit of wild riders. Get the other 2 units full command, and give one of the the warbanner.

That is my opinion right now.

SirKently

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
As for the champ dryad, I never take one. You can be screwed over by having a champion. You won't always want to accept a challenge as you'd rather attack rank and file. Also, there are occasions (ogres, knights) where you hit a flank with a character, get challenged, and then don't get to attack into the unit. Also, a tough hero can rack up overkill on a unit champ, even a dryad.

I'd drop them and get more models as that means more for fear (more fear causers, more wounds, more attacks total--all goodness).

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, thanks a lot everybody for all the responses. I definitely didn't know that you could direct attacks towards a character while it was in a unit and now I completely agree with the whole dryad champ argument. Plus, after reading the tatica again, I realize that they work really well with my army by forcing my opponent to expose himself to me which is what my army operates on. Once again, thanks!

Here is the new list:

Lord
Spellweaver- 250pts
lvl 4

Hero
Spellsinger- 150pts
Lvl2, Dispel Scroll

Branchwraith- 140pts
Lvl 1, Radiance

Core
Glade Guard (10)- 126pts
Musician

Glade Guard (10)-

Dryads (8)-

Dryads (8)-

Dryads (8)- 108pts
Branchnymph

Glade Riders (6)- 153pts
Musician

Special
Wildriders (6)- 174pts
Wild Hunter, Musician

Wildriders (6)- 174pts
Wild Hunter, Musician

Rare
Waywatcher (6)-

Treeman-

Total- 2000pts
Power/Dispel Dice: 9/7

I don't like the idea of giving up the Annoyance of Nettlings since it gives me a real edge in challenges however, I realize there are some magic items out there that will negate that and really, having another power dice is really going to kick up my offensive power. I actually really like the fact that this is going to be a super magic heavy, close combat list and I think it is going to do really well. I post later on how the tournament goes. Thanks again.

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, so I've been a little bit busy so that is why the late reply. So here is the battle report, sort of. I don't have a whole lot of time but I want to let you know that I had one of the most epic battles of the century (at least for me) in that I got to go toe to toe against Morghur, the Corruptor. It was amazing! But that isn't till the second battle so I will try to go as fast as I can.

Battle 1-
Opponent: Skaven (he is actually a guy I play alot)
Scenario- Identify the highest cost magical item to other opponent, if the unit that is carrying it is killed +250 victory points.

So right off the bat I get shorted because one of the guys points out that wood elfs (cause there were two of us) don't get our free woods because the games we are playing aren't "Pitched Battles". ????, what the heck is a "pitched battle"? The head GW guy agrees and I look it up and there it is. So no free woods for me. We roll off, place terrain (a couple of hills on either side of the board, a group of woods on my side and a building in the middle right) and stuff. He ends us using two units of slaves 20 big which protect a unit of 25 clan rats and plague monks (with 6 censor bearers attached) on either side of the building, another unit of clan rats on the other side of the board inside of his warplighting cannon, a unit of storm vermin behind the clan rats, a unit of rats swarms and 6 tunneling gutter runners. For characters he has a Grey Seer in the clan rats near the building , two warplock engineers in the clan rats and an assassin alone.

I end up placing most of my stuff on the right side of the table with the exception of two units of wild riders on the left side aiming for that warplighting cannon. I place my waywatcher behind the building.

He ends up getting first turn.

1st (His)-
He moves his stuff forward and moves onto magic phase where he miscasts trying to get skitter leap off (funny thing, all four tables in the first turn and in their first spell casting, miscast. I guess the Chaos gods didn't want this tournament to happen...) so it ends that there for him.

Sorry guys, g2g, I'll try to finish it up tommorrow!

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alrighty guys, I am back.

1st (Mine)- I move my waywatchers into the building, put a unit of dryads w/ the branchwraith in trees, move my wild riders toward his warp lighting cannon, move my Glade Riders to bait his swarms and move everything else like 5 inches except for a unit of GG on a hill. I do a few magic things which hurt his rat swarms a bit, shoot some stuff. Not a whole lot.

Actually I don't really remember past the first turn what happens in detail so I will just summerize it. Throughout the game he trys to cast skitter leap on his assassin and I work to dispel it because I figure he is trying to get that guy into combat w/ my spellsinger to get that extra 250 pts. He tears up all but one of my wildriders w/ warplighting (both magic and cannon! Talismanic tats are amazing!) who then charges the cannon and destroys it as it flees. I bait out his swarms w/ my glade riders for the rest of the game until I made a bad ld roll and they nearly run off the board. I end up blasting the slaves enough for the 25% check and they nearly run off the board (grrrrr...). So he charges my GG with plague monks, I run away and I nearly decide to charge them while they are exposed w/ the failed charge but remember the censor bearers and so (since my GG rallied)move my Dryads to the left hoping that my GG are closer and thus trigger the frenzy and then I can flank them (and avoid those Censor bearers). However, I don't move far enough and my dryads get charged by the censor bearers (monks don't have range w/ wheeling around the building) but I get good dice rolls and we end up destroying each other.

My unit of dryads in the woods gets surfed up and so I decide to charge the unit of clan rats which is right outside of the building my waywatchers are in. However, the other unit of slaves is like right next to it so I can only rank up three of my dryads. So I think to myself, "Ok, I got like 8 attacks, I can do this." I roll and I swear I couldn't believe it, 6 ones. I let out a silent curse, roll the two dice and get a couple more ones. He ends up doing nothing but I still lose but make an amazing 4 ld save. Next turn though, he charges w/ his slave and they are all trying be so cool w/ their flank bonus but end up doing nothing but getting a couple of themselves killed. But I still lose a couple and run away, he trys to persue w/ his slaves but ends up smacking right into my treeman (I love to imagine the scene, the slave all worked up and chasing after the dryads but then hit a tree, look up and see that the tree is looking right back at them, getting ready to lay some smack down. Gwaaa!!!) My treeman kills a few but not enough to get past rank and standard bonus so that was kinda anti-climatic. So finally he gets tired of my waywatchers sniping at his assassin (which had a 3+ ward save!) and charges his clan rats into the building. So I am like, "Cool, I get to strike first cause of my I". But then the other WE player reminds me that waywatchers had two hand weapons and I look at him in awe...I end up killing all five clan rats trying to enter the building and force the whole unit to flee. SWEET! Waywatchers in buildings are the best (except against Spawn, I will get to that later). So yeah, it was end of 4th turn and we had to end there.

Result: Draw

So I got to go again (man, I must love to ramble or something cause that was long and not even the main event...) but I will leave saying this: In the intial deployment for the second battle, the opponent played 4 units of 5 chaos hounds all together and in the middle put Morghur....uhhh. For those of you who know what his special rules are know what that means when my opponent brings out an entire foam level full of spawn. Those that don't, find out NOW! I will be back tommarrow!

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, sorry for anyone who was reading this. I don't have internet at my place so I have to go to the library and because my work schedual is always random, I don't know when I can actually sit down and do stuff. Anyhows, I think I am going to finish it here and now.

The terrain set up was akin to a desert, sort of. There were two pieces of woods, one kinda circluar and a longer one. They got put on my side toward the left. There was one building which got put towards the center of the board. I got a hill on my side and he got a couple of hills which were placed behind the building.

So as I alluded to ealier, in the second battle I was playing Beastman with the ever dreaded Morghur. Overall he ran four groups of five chaos hounds surrounding Morghur and they are all near the center (also there were a group of ungors and gors set behind this group). On my right, there was a slave giant, a group of centigors and two beastmen chariots. On my far left were a group of khorne bestigors and more towards the center a fairly large group of minotaurs. Also he had a herd hiding in the woods. I end up being really dumb and having horrible choice in deployment. I place a unit of wildriders on my far right but then realize I also have glade riders but they are supposed to bait out units but they need to be in front to do that. So I put them behind the

The scenario was that we each nominated three units and they were "messenger " which had stats of M9 S4 T4 W2 A2 w/ a 4+ ward save. There were three points of escape (each corner and the center) on each opponents side respectively and each messenger we got to the escape points won us 250 VP.

He gets first turn.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.