Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a game I had against a friend last week.

I am new to 8th Edition and my friend is new to Warhammer. A group 6-7 of us is trying to learn 8th edition right now.
If we have messed up any rules or you have suggestions on strategy please feel free to comment on the video. Me and my friends will learn from it.

[video=youtube;VKlchOu5gPg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKlchOu5gPg[/video]

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
For your Flee issues:
You worked out the route for the flee correctly - if they end up on top or intermixed with another unit, the fleeing unit is moved to the far side. You can chain a unit through several more in this way, just like you did in this game.
As for rolling Panic tests, you can test multiple times per turn, but only one time per phase. So as these Panics were triggered during the Close Combat phase, he would only have tested once in that phase (how you played it). However, you could still have panicked those units during the shooting/magic phase.

:: The spell which destroyed your Zombies would have been 'Blade-Wind'

:: Depending on the build of your "Blender Vamp," keep in mind that if you are Frenzied, you cannot choose to Restrain Pursuit, and must always Overrun when you defeat an enemy.
Likewise, his Witch Elves are 'Frenzied', which might have explained his choice to charge you, but it's worth pointing out that they can't elect to Flee as a reaction - they're forced to Hold.

-Was he never firing with the Dark Shards? They're the Crossbowmen, correct?
A lot of what fell short for your opponent was probably his list, as much as his deployment. He doesn't really have anything which could have carved through your Zombies, or stood up against your Black Knights.
You have a pretty good idea of what he was pulling down with his list. You're correct that a single L4 is better than any division of "lesser" Wizards. Also, you understand how to play the chaff game with your Hounds, and that's something that Dark Elves need to know. If this guy is a regular opponent, it might be worth trying to help him out with just the sort of "fundamentals" to the game.

As for comments on the video itself - it would be cool to get some quality pics of the actual table-action. I'm just as guilty of this, all of my lists are done on Chronicler and posted as text&pic reports here on LO. For a video though, I would definitely have expected to see you pan the camera across the table each turn and explain what was going on or (if your opponent wasn't alright waiting for you to cut away at the end of each turn) to take some still-photos of the game in progress.
Good report in all though, and congrats on getting the win for the game as well!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:: Depending on the build of your "Blender Vamp," keep in mind that if you are Frenzied, you cannot choose to Restrain Pursuit, and must always Overrun when you defeat an enemy.
Likewise, his Witch Elves are 'Frenzied', which might have explained his choice to charge you, but it's worth pointing out that they can't elect to Flee as a reaction - they're forced to Hold.
Nothing in my BK unit was frenzied. I forgot the rule that frenzied units can't choose flee as charge response. Thanks, I will remember that for future games.

-Was he never firing with the Dark Shards? They're the Crossbowmen, correct?
A lot of what fell short for your opponent was probably his list, as much as his deployment. He doesn't really have anything which could have carved through your Zombies, or stood up against your Black Knights.
You have a pretty good idea of what he was pulling down with his list. You're correct that a single L4 is better than any division of "lesser" Wizards. Also, you understand how to play the chaff game with your Hounds, and that's something that Dark Elves need to know. If this guy is a regular opponent, it might be worth trying to help him out with just the sort of "fundamentals" to the game.
He was firing his Dark Shards at my knights every chance he got but I didn't give him many chances.....or rather he didn't give himself many. Turn 1 he was out of range. Turn 2 he charged his Witches into me, so was in combat. Turn 3 he had to rally with them. Turn 4 he fired them at my Zombie unit 3 but didn't kill many so I forgot to mention it. Turn 5, DS1 marched so can't fire. DS2 moved then fired at my knights, so increased difficulty for moving and shooting, then trying to wound on toughness 4, then my 2+ armour saves, I don't think any wounds resulted. Probably unlucky there. Turn 6 reformed then....maybe he forgot to shoot this time but it would have been at Zombie unit 4.

I've been trying to teach my friend a bit more about how to beat my army and how to use chaff to mess with my charges or keep my units from getting to close combat. I'm hoping for a match this week, will post the result.

As for comments on the video itself - it would be cool to get some quality pics of the actual table-action. I'm just as guilty of this, all of my lists are done on Chronicler and posted as text&pic reports here on LO. For a video though, I would definitely have expected to see you pan the camera across the table each turn and explain what was going on or (if your opponent wasn't alright waiting for you to cut away at the end of each turn) to take some still-photos of the game in progress.
Yep I will endeavour to do this. At the time of this match we both just had brand new armies, not even undercoated as we were just so keen to do battle. I didn't want to put pictures of grey models(as well as half finished terrain). But Most of my models are now undercoated and started to paint a few units. Will definitely add some photos or maybe intercut a sweeping shot of the board between turns.

Good report in all though, and congrats on getting the win for the game as well!
Really appreciate the feedback, thanks for watching.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.