Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, first post. Was hoping to get some constructive criticism on my list before I bring it out for a battle vs. Vampires.

Archmage
Level 4
Vortex Shard
Jewel of the Dusk

Mage
Level 2
Annulian Crystal

Mage
Level 2
Ring of Fury
Silver Wand

Noble
Light Armor
White Sword

SpearmenX17
Command

SpearmenX17
Command

Phoenix Guardx17
Standard+Champion
Banner of Sorcery

White LionsX13
Standard+Champion
Lion Standard

SwordmastersX7
Champion

SwordmastersX7
Champion

Total: 2000

My opponent is notorious for playing an extremely magic-heavy list. I figured I would go magic heavy to counter it while unleashing some devastation of my own. Vortex Shard is a favorite of mine against magic opponents because it denies them their most powerful phase. Additionally, if I manage to get off a Flames of the Phoenix, denying the opponent a magic phase means a guarunteed S4 hit for every model in the following phase.

Overall strategy is to get into combat as quickly as possible before his magic makes his army too numerous. Spearmen squads on the flanks of the PG running forward with the mages tossing spells. Swordmasters seek flanking positions to deny rank bonuses. Lions are there to take care of any knights that may make an appearance. If none show up, they will probably hunt for the general and try to take him down.

Any suggestions for the list or the strategy?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Like the ideas you have. First i would make the noble have a BSB and give him a bit more protection, this will give you better combat res when fighting VC.

Remeber outnumbered by a few causing enemy!

I would take a bolt thrower or 2 cause what if you get curse of arrow attraction, where could you use it. Good on knights and smaller units. or a dragon you want killed.

Sorry for the short and small replay i have to run but good luck.

Wicky

·
2,244 Posts
Just have a quick read of Vortex Shard's description, I think that it ends any remains in play spells, like Flames of the Phoenix. Still a good idea but not quite as good as you hoped.

I don't think that the Archmage can have 2 Arcane Items either, unless it is a house rule you play.

White sword is an interesting choice, I would prefer a simple great weapon with decent armour/ Ward save. If he doesn't kill his enemy then he is in trouble when they hit back as he is the worst protected member of any unit he joins so should be targetted by enemy attacks (even zombies should kill him).

I agree about the bolt-throwers, they are useful for taking down Vargulf's and Dragons and other low unit strength slow raising units. If he has to spend 3 or 4 dice getting units back to full strength then he has less dice to make his army larger. Tough to fit into this list though.

Finally would be tempted by the Staff of Sorcery on a L2, +2 to dispel will make his spam casting less effective since you should only need 1 dice to dispel every spell (even a 6).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are correct about the Vortex Shard, thanks for pointing that out. Additionally, my group of friends who I traditionally play with allow multiple Arcane Items. This VC player is not one of these people, so thank you for reminding me of that.

I'm going to rework this list with your suggestions in mind. If I use the bolt throwers to take down Knight/Vargulfs/Dragons, then is there really much use for my White Lions? I could nix the whole squad and the banner in order to free up almost 250 points for Bolt Throwers and modifications to the noble.

Finally, if I am including the Vortex Shard, I think I'm going to include either the Staff of Sorcery or the Annulian Crystal, not both. Which do you think would be better against VC?

·
2,244 Posts
I haven't really played VC enough to give you a concrete answer to that. Personally I think that +2 to dispel, as they seem to be capable of generating a tonne of dice so taking a single pool dice isn't such a big deal.

I don't know if that is true or not though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts