----------Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers

Elite

Celestians------------------------------------------------------------------256
-----Sisters (x9) Veteran Sister Superior
----------Flamer, Heavy Flamer, Bolt Pistol, Eviscerator, Frag Grenades
-----Repressor APC

Troops

Sisters of Battle------------------------------------------------------------202
-----Sisters (x9), Veteran Sister Superior
----------Storm Bolter (x3), CC Weapon
-----Rhino APC

Sisters of Battle------------------------------------------------------------202
----------Storm Bolter (x3), CC Weapon
-----Rhino APC

Sisters of Battle------------------------------------------------------------245
----------Flamer, Heavy Flamer, Brazier of Holy Fire, Power Weapon,
----------Frag Grenades
-----Rhino APC

Fast Attack

Seraphim-------------------------------------------------------------------180
-----Sisters (x4), Veteran Sister Superior
----------Inferno Pistols (x2), Eviscerator, Inferno Pisol (VSS),
----------Frag Grenades, Krak Grenades

----------Inferno Pistols (x2), Eviscerator, Inferno Pisol (VSS),

Heavy Support

Exorcist---------------------------------------------------------------------140
----------Extra Armour

Exorcist---------------------------------------------------------------------140
----------Extra Armour

Total:---------------------------------------------------------------------2000

Faith:9 Infantry:68 Tanks:6

Notes:
The Canoness and Bodyguard, and perhaps the second Celestian squad, will be
used as the main melee tank shocking units, as well as patching up any holes
that might occur on the battle line. To boot, The Canoness and her retinue's sisters can re-roll failed CC hits. meaning that I should get almost all attacks in at any point!
The Sisters being the main battle line with Rhino's as moveable cover, with the
Heavy Flamer totting squad will rush forward as fast as possible and use short
range fire for take out any opposition read for the Celestians to assault. Alternately,
used as support for a Celestian assault.
The Seraphim will leap about the field as the tank hunters, and if need be, add to a Celestian assault or rescue a flank.
The Exorcists will sit back and fire upon the biggest threat of any given point in time.

As a side note, I haven't played an aweful lot of battles before. Any suggestions on other tactics I could use, or ammendations upon the aforementioned list would be well used.

Mal.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Inquisitor Lord
Force Weapon, Bolter-Stake Crossbow
Retinue:
-----Acolyte (x2), Crusader (x3)
----------Laspistol, Mancatcher
Pretty nasty. If I could find the points for an Inquisitor I'd take almost the exact same thing except maybe with carapace armor on the Acolytes to give them a little survivability. I know sounds wierd survivability on a wound sponge, but if you're gonna allocate the wounds, you might as well give them a chance to live through it. Not much else you can buy with the leftover points of a mancatcher.

Canoness-------------------------------------------------------------------402
-----Cloak of St. Aspira, Litanies of Faith
Bodyguard:
-----Sisters (x4) Veteran Sister Superior
----------Heavy Flamer, Flamer, Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon Imagifier, Sacred
----------Banner of the Orders Militant, Sarissa (x2), Frag Grenades
-----Immolator (Heavy Flamers)
----------Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers, Holy Promethium, Laud Hailer
Kinda pricey if you ask me... The Cannoness looks good, and I guess this is just prejudice from playing Imperial Guard, but I'd rather take more Celestians and a Rhino over an Immolator.

Priest-------------------------------------------------------------------------70
-----Las pistol, Eviscerator, Carapace Armour
-----Attatched to Celestian Squad
Once again, this might be IG prejudice, but I wouldn't take a priest unless you really wanted some Arco-Flagellants or Penitent Engines. You shouldn't need the extra armor defeating capabilities with all the meltas WH can field, and I'm not really sure that a SoB CC unit is really needed. Another Inquisitor would probably be better at that. Otherwise, ick.

Celestians------------------------------------------------------------------228
-----Sisters (x8) Veteran Sister Superior
----------Flamer (x2), Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon, Frag Grenades
----------Attatched Priest
-----Repressor APC
If you are absolutely going to take the priest along here, then I would suggest you move the Sarissa from your HQ to this squad, or find the points somewhere to add it. I don't know what a Repressor is so I can't comment.

----------Storm Bolter (x2), Bolt Pistol, CC Weapon, Frag Grenades
-----Rhino APC
If you're gonna go storm bolters, I'd rather give the Vet Sister one as well and forgo the CCW. With three storm bolters you should be able to stay out of assault range and be able to keep shooting. Frag grenades... eh. Remember that they only work if you charge, and I'd rather shoot.

Sisters of Battle------------------------------------------------------------229
----------Storm Bolter, Heavy Flamer, Bolter-Flamer, Power Weapon, Frag Grenades
-----Rhino APC
Power weapons on Sisters seems like a bit of a waste. Their strength is in the shooting, so why would you pay extra to have them play to their weakness?

Seraphim-------------------------------------------------------------------170
----------Inferno Pistols (x2), Frag Grenades, Krak Grenades, Melta-Bombs
Melta Bombs are pretty expensive, especially when you consider they already get krak grenades, and with a Seraphim's mobility, you should be able to get at the back and sides of tanks. Plus you've got two sets of inferno pistols as well.

Exorcist--------------------------------------------------------------------140
----------Extra Armour
This is your only long range anti-tank unit. I will say that as a IG player, if I saw that you had one excorcist and two small squads of seraphim to take out my tanks, I would be drooling. What I'm saying is, if you're gonna take one, you might as well take two. Barring that, you could always get rid of this one, make a few points available and get yourself another seraphim squad.

All in all, it doesn't look so bad. I wouldn't worry so much about CC, but I suppose that's a matter of personal preference.

·
Archmagos
904 Posts
HQ

Inquisitor Lord--------------------------------------------------------------181
-----Force Weapon, Bolter-Stake Crossbow
Retinue:
-----Acolyte (x2), Crusader (x3)
----------Laspistol, Mancatcher
The Bolter-Crossbow is fluffy, but I would rather have some kind of pistol.

If you have points to spare, take bolt pistols on the Acolytes.

-----Cloak of St. Aspira, Litanies of Faith
Bodyguard:
-----Sisters (x4) Veteran Sister Superior
----------Heavy Flamer, Flamer, Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon Imagifier, Sacred
----------Banner of the Orders Militant, Sarissa (x2), Frag Grenades
-----Immolator (Heavy Flamers)
----------Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers, Holy Promethium, Laud Hailer
Give the Canoness a power weapon/blessed weapon and bolt pistol..

Instead of the power weapon on the Vet Superior, I suggest an Eviscerator instead.
I also agree with Snowman's suggestion to take a Rhino. Larger squads are also more effective for close combat.

Priest-------------------------------------------------------------------------70
-----Las pistol, Eviscerator, Carapace Armour
-----Attatched to Celestian Squad
To avoid the multiple saves thing, I would upgrade this to power armor.
If you have extra points, then give him a bolt pistol just 'cause.

Elite

Celestians------------------------------------------------------------------228
-----Sisters (x8) Veteran Sister Superior
----------Flamer (x2), Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon, Frag Grenades
----------Attatched Priest
-----Repressor APC
Personally, I would take an Eviscerator instead of the power weapon.
If you can find the points, upgrade a flamer to a heavy flamer.

The Repressor is fine

Troops

-----Rhino APC

-----Rhino APC
I presume that these are meant for shooting, so I would drop the frags. Also, give the Vet either a bolter or storm bolter.

Sisters of Battle------------------------------------------------------------229
----------Storm Bolter, Heavy Flamer, Bolter-Flamer, Power Weapon, Frag Grenades
-----Rhino APC
Instead of the power weapon, as before, I would take an Eviscerator, and swap the combi-flamer for a Brazier of Fire. Or, swap the storm bolter for a flamer.

Fast Attack

The Melta Bombs might be a bit expensive and unnecessary, since they already have 2 TL Inferno pistols, plus, if you're really desperate, they have kraks. Instead, I would limit it the Superior.

Heavy Support

Exorcist--------------------------------------------------------------------140
----------Extra Armour

Total:---------------------------------------------------------------------1999
Generally, its best to include 2, or even 3 Exorcists. A single one is a bit unreliable for 2k point games.

Overall, I think its alright, though I feel that 3 assault-oriented squads plus a priest, is somewhat unnecessary. Although they're capable in assault, remember that they still are only human, so in most cases I wouldn't expect them to particularly excell over the opponent's elite assault units.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback!

I've taken both of your comments into account, scrapped the Inquisitor, Priest, Immolator & Melta Bombs in favour of another Repressor Brazier of Holy Fire, More Celestians, another Exorcist, 2 extra Storm Bolters, and 2 Extra Inferno Pistols.

I also forgot to add in the Blessed weapon for the Cannoness (it was included in the original list's points) silly me :rofl .

I was considering another Cannoness with a Jump pack, but felt more Celestians and another Excorcist was more useful. So I've given two BS squads some extra long range power, and made some fairly formidable (albiet averagely so) melee units who are able to do a fair amount of damage whilst remaining mobile :0

I did consider replacing the Repressors with Rhinos, but then I found I had a few extra points left over I didn't know what to do with (although not enough to buy another Exorcist or Squad :| ) And having a squad of Celestians in a Repressor zooming around the battlefield being able to patch holes up where needed and soften the enemy up as they get there without even leaving their transport seems preety damn good!

Tell me what you all think of the revised version :p !

PS: A Repressor is basicaly a Rhino, however it has 3 firing slits for Bolters or Shotguns on either side, a Cupola Storm Bolter, a Pintle Heavy Flamer, and a sister can fire a Special weapon (Heavy Weapon if the tank doesn't move) out of a hatch near the rear of the tank as well as it having a Dozer Blade as standard. Meaning a total of 9 Weapons can be fired whilest moving 12" ( I may be wrong on the Heavy Flamer being able to fire if the tank has moved, and I suspect I am.) It's in Imperial Armour Vol. II: Space Marines and the Forces of the Inquisition. And it's only 20 points more than a Rhino!

·
Registered
109 Posts
after making those changes....your seraphims have become illegal. only 2 inferno pistols per unit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The extra Inferno Pistols are equipped to the VSSes. I'll change the detailing so it's clearer.

I just checked the Codex as well... I didn't notice the Inferno Pistols are Heroines only... bummer... What to do with an extra 30 points?

·
307 Posts
HQ

-----Blessed Weapon, Bolt Pistol, Cloak of St. Aspira, Litanies of Faith
Bodyguard:
----------Heavy Flamer, Flamer, Bolt Pistol, Eviscerator, Imagifier,
----------Sarissa, Frag Grenades
-----Repressor APC
Mal.
In a squad the cloak is largely unnecessary as you'll be taking saves by squad. I often use a canoness with celestian retinue and I find that I don't need it often enough to justify the cost. Also drop the sarissa, you can't take it for the cel VSS as she doesn't have a bolter.
Elite

Celestians------------------------------------------------------------------256
----------Flamer, Heavy Flamer, Bolt Pistol, Eviscerator, Frag Grenades
-----Repressor APC
Mal.
The HQ squad is good enough in cc to just about justify frags, this squad is not. If you want to kill the enemy, shoot them.
Troops

----------Storm Bolter (x3), Bolt Pistol, CC Weapon
-----Rhino APC

----------Storm Bolter (x3), Bolt Pistol, CC Weapon
-----Rhino APC
Mal.
Stormbolters are completely pointless on Rhino squads of battle sisters. Get heavy flamer and flamer, the anti-infantry firepower of dual templates with DG is staggering, I can reckon on two squads destroying a marine tac squad or a termi squad more often than not.
Sisters of Battle------------------------------------------------------------245
----------Flamer, Heavy Flamer, Brazier of Holy Fire, Power Weapon, Frag Grenades
-----Rhino APC
Mal.
Drop the power weapon, not worth it on battle squads, nothing you give them makes them remotely capable of cc. Get a combi-flamer instead of the brazier, having a bolter is more useful. Also drop those useless frags.
Fast Attack

----------Inferno Pistols (x3), Eviscerator, Frag Grenades, Krak Grenades

----------Inferno Pistols (x3), Eviscerator, Frag Grenades, Krak Grenades
Mal.
Three sets of Inferno Pistols is illegal, check your codex. You also don't need two squads with them, one will do. The other squad should get hand flamers instead. A good point save is to give the hand flamer squad VSS a power weapon instead. The loss of hitting power isn't that bad, and being able to strike at initiative with 3 or 4 attacks genuinely useful. I have often cut down enemies before they can strike with it, such as the time a squad was charged by a lone Black Templar terminator who was stabbed before he could crush any sisters. The squads are also undersize. An IP squad can get away with 5 members, though 6 is better, but a flamer squad really benefits from having 8 members.
Heavy Support

----------Extra Armour
----------Extra Armour

Total:---------------------------------------------------------------------2000

Faith:9 Infantry:68 Tanks:6

Notes:
The Canoness and Bodyguard, and perhaps the second Celestian squad, will be
used as the main melee tank shocking units, as well as patching up any holes
that might occur on the battle line. To boot, The Canoness and her retinue's sisters can re-roll failed CC hits. meaning that I should get almost all attacks in at any point!
The Sisters being the main battle line with Rhino's as moveable cover, with the
Heavy Flamer totting squad will rush forward as fast as possible and use short
range fire for take out any opposition read for the Celestians to assault. Alternately,
used as support for a Celestian assault.
The Seraphim will leap about the field as the tank hunters, and if need be, add to a Celestian assault or rescue a flank.
The Exorcists will sit back and fire upon the biggest threat of any given point in time.

As a side note, I haven't played an aweful lot of battles before. Any suggestions on other tactics I could use, or ammendations upon the aforementioned list would be well used.

Mal.
Your tactics are a bit off, specifically they are too aggressive and oriented too much around close combat.

Sisters are poor in close combat, this just has to be accepted. The tooled up HQ squad looks powerful in a WH force, but have you seen what a marine HQ is capable of, let alone a chaos or Black Templar one? They will shred the WH HQ if allowed to attack it in force. Instead I use my very similar HQ as a charge interceptor. Quite often after mass DGing an enemy force there will be a few enemy survivors, or a lone enemy characters (often wounded but still raring to go). The HQ squad should be closest, so when the enemy charges into assault they take the hit. Such a squad is quite capable of killing a few or 1 enemy, even if they are a Chaos Lord or a chaplain.

Celestians do not assault enemies, they shoot them the same as any other sisters squad. That is why they carry bolters rather than bp and ccw. Their superior cc ability is better used in defense, so they don't crumple so easily when they get hit by the near inevitable charge.

Rhinos are only movable cover late in the game when you and the enemy are all mixed up and the sisters are moving around on foot to finish the enemy off. Early in the game when you are moving up and performing the sisters Rhino rush, they are priceless assets and prime targets. Under no circumstances should they be exposed to enemy AT fire. If necessary slow your advance in order to make sure that LOS to them is blocked by terrain. Better to get there a turn later than not at all. I have learned this lesson the hard way.

Seraphim can do many things other than tank hunt. In fact they can do pretty much anything. They can shoot the enemy to death, tie him down in close combat, leave him exposed to your fire by H&Ring away, kill him in close combat, and saw up tanks. AT squads can operate by themselves, but seraphim also work wonders when supporting the battle squads in their attack.

Sisters do not form a battle line. If you string your squads out along your deployment zone, you will get thrashed. Instead they form a fist, the Emperor's fist. At the start of the game you need to pick a good location and cram literally your entire army into it. I routinely deploy an entire 1500pt army in an area less than 12" across. The sisters themselves have almost no long range shooting, so don't bother firing at the enemy as he advances except with the Exorcists. Instead wait and lurk until he gets close then rush out en masse and in one almighty shooting phase wipe out most of his army. You can then repeat this tactic in a less extreme way for the rest of the game. If the enemy doesn't come to you then you will have to go to him, but again move up as a concentrated mass and keep out of LOS. You can't fire at the enemy until they're within 12", so make sure they can't either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
My revised list (again) I've decided a good piece of advise was make the Canoness a separate unit, but it can still join the Celestians and use it as a retinue.

HQ

Canoness-------------------------------------------------------------------141
-----Blessed Weapon, Bolt Pistol, Cloak of St. Aspira, Litanies of Faith
-----Jump Pack

Elite

Celestians------------------------------------------------------------------261
----------Heavy Flamer, Flamer, Bolt Pistol, Eviscerator
-----Repressor APC

Celestians------------------------------------------------------------------261
----------Heavy Flamer, Flamer, Bolt Pistol, Eviscerator
-----Repressor APC

Troops

Sisters of Battle------------------------------------------------------------217
----------Meltagun (x2), Bolter-Melta, CC Weapon
-----Rhino APC

Sisters of Battle------------------------------------------------------------210
----------Flamer, Heavy Flamer, Bolter-Flamer, CC Weapon
-----Rhino APC

Sisters of Battle------------------------------------------------------------210
----------Flamer, Heavy Flamer, Bolter-Flamer, CC Weapon
-----Rhino APC

Fast Attack

Seraphim-------------------------------------------------------------------210
-----Sisters (x7), Veteran Sister Superior
----------Hand Flamers (x2), Power Weapon, Bolt Pistol (VSS),

Seraphim-------------------------------------------------------------------162
-----Sisters (x5), Sister Superior
----------Inferno Pistols (x2), Frag Grenades, Krak Grenades

Heavy Support

----------Extra Armour

----------Extra Armour

Total:---------------------------------------------------------------------1954

Faith:9 Infantry:72 Tanks:7

Notes:
Well, I've revised it again. I've taken into account whats been said here, and some of what I've discussed in LO Chat. I do, however, have 46 extra points of which I have no idea where to put them.

Tactics:
OK, Sisters joined by the Celestian will form the main block. Charging forward behind cover where possible, then unleashing furry upon anything in their way.
Hand Flamer Seraphim zoom around helping out wherever needed. Making traps, for enemy squads to then be anhiliated. Tieing up trouble units etc.
Inferno Seraphim along with the Melta Sisters can go tank hunting.
Exorcists can do what they do best :p.

Mal.

·
Suffer not the Unclean
2,251 Posts
Well, you forgot to pay for the frag grenades on the sister squads, so that will eat a bit of your point surplus.

An eviscerator for the seraphim vet would be a handy upgrade, veteran for the inferno sisters as well for the simulcrum effect.

Dozer blades for the exorcists would chew up your surplus a bit too!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
woops, the Sister squads aren't sposed to have frags in that list. I was thinking of getting the Sacred Banner. but have 4 points too many for that. Dozer blades would be useful... and perhaps HK missiles!

I was tossing up wether to get an Eviscerator for the Seraphim, and decided I'd like to keep them a quick assault squad, specifically for patching up small holes anywhere, rather than doing much damage. It should also help keep them less of a target priority, helping them to get where needed and do their job at full strength hopefully. Same with the Inferno Seraphim.

I'm thinking the Inferno Seraphim, along with the Celestians will get a fair bit of attention when the Exorcists can't be be targeted, particularly the Sera's, so I was trying to keep them a realitively expendable unit. I also contemplated using a Dominion squad to replace one of the Flamer Sister squads, Foregoing the Heavy Flamer and Flamer for four Flamers. It comes out at 18 points more. For the same kit, with extra Flamers.

·
307 Posts
I would definitely put an evisc on the IP sera squad. Three AT weapons are a lot better than two, especially when one of them can potentially get multiple strikes that auto-hit. In my experience you do need that much firepower to reliably carve up tanks. It also makes the squad much deadlier in assault. In regard to them being 'expendable' never think that. No sisters unit is expendable. They may die in the course of combat but if you think of them as 'expendable' you will throw their lives away for nothing.

You have left out one piece of vital equipment from your list, the Books of St Lucius. The sisters morale is not actually all that good by itself. They have no Iron Discipline, ATSKNF, Mob Rule or Synapse to keep them in the fight when things get tough. The BoSL is what they have, and I pass one out to every squad in my army. Many times this cheap little item pays for itself several times over.

Finally I'd rearm that battle squad with the meltas with flamer weapons. Battle squads are anti-infantry units. They lack the range or mobility to go tank hunting and DG means that they don't need meltas for MEq or TEq killing. The sera squad and the two Exo's are enough AT in most circumstances, the battle squads performance in this role wil be much inferior. Use it where those numerous bolters can also be used.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.