Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

I am struggeling for a while now how I should expand my army. I already got a very strong defense line, my intention was to build a fast attacking force around this. So far I used just one trait advantage. The other one depends on the extra units. I want to build up to 2000pts. The different choices I was thinking about:

- Tactical squads with drop pods (using the Cleanse and Purify trait).
- Bike Squadrons (using the Be Swift As The Wind trait).
- Terminators and scouts.
- Assault squads and scouts.
- Mix of these.
- other choice?

!When I use the pods or the termies with deep strike the enemy can hit my defense line with all there power the first turns, I think this could be a serious problem!
!When I use the Bike squadrons or Terminators, I think I have to few scoring units!

So what do you think is the best option? I hope you can help me!

Army List so far.
Trait advantages for now: Honour your wargear.
(minor and/or drawback depends on the possible other trait advantage)

Elite: Devastator squad, 6sm + Tankhunter Skill, 4 * Missile L. = 188

HS: Devastator squad, 6sm, 4 * Heavy Bolter = 150
HS: Devastatpr squad, 6sm, 4 * Heavy Bolter = 150
HS: Whirlwind = 85

So far = 761pts, still have to fill the compulsory HQ and 2 Troop choices.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hello everybody,

I am struggeling for a while now how I should expand my army. I already got a very strong defense line, my intention was to build a fast attacking force around this. So far I used just one trait advantage. The other one depends on the extra units. I want to build up to 2000pts. The different choices I was thinking about:

- Tactical squads with drop pods (using the Cleanse and Purify trait).
- Bike Squadrons (using the Be Swift As The Wind trait).
- Terminators and scouts.
- Assault squads and scouts.
- Mix of these.
- other choice?

!When I use the pods or the termies with deep strike the enemy can hit my defense line with all there power the first turns, I think this could be a serious problem!
!When I use the Bike squadrons or Terminators, I think I have to few scoring units!

So what do you think is the best option? I hope you can help me!

Army List so far.
Trait advantages for now: Honour your wargear.
(minor and/or drawback depends on the possible other trait advantage)

So far = 761pts, still have to fill the compulsory HQ and 2 Troop choices.
I think 2, 5 man tactical squads each with a plasma cannon and a plasma gun (105pts each)
Also a 10 man assault squad with 2 plama guns a power fist and a chaplin with a jump pack. This unit is fast and does a lot of damage.
A squad of 10 scouts infiltrating all with CC weapons will take a lot of fire power in the first turn so that will help there. If theydon't die then try to assalt their most shooty unit next tern.
These are just a few sugestions, there are still a lot more units to think about though, however these are the best fast moving units for me.

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Couldn't resist

I couldn't resist mentioning that you can field a full company at 2000 points. That should give you plenty of room for fun and games. 106 Marines. Holy Cow, you would outnumber most IG, Tyranid and Ork armies you came up against.

Just thought I would point that out...

·
I AM the Evil Twin!
4,989 Posts
Well I can respect you taking this sort of list as it is very nasty but it needs a few things to be effective.

- You should first think about taking two full sized tactical squads with two plasma guns and a veteran sergeant with a power fist. This will give you some serious anti infantry firepower and allow you to fire as you advance. If you want to take drop pods that is fine as this set up will work with that sort of deployment, butmake sure they turn up early or they will be wasted.

-A must in this sort of army however is a full sized assualt sqaud. This will give you a serious counter punch unit that can attack enemy squads weakened by the fullisade of firepower from the tactical and devestator squads.

-For your HQ I would recomend a chaplain with a jump pack to lead the assualt sqaud.

-If you have the points take one of two sqaudrons of Land Speeder Tornadoes as these work a treat.

Hope this helps.

JvK :happy:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I Like the idea of the assault squads with a chaplin, i think i will go for them but are tactical squads with drop pods beside that a waste? I mean if I drop with just 2 squads I dont really see the benefit...

Has anyone good gaming experience with landspeeders? I think they will shoot apart in my army

·
Registered
12 Posts
I wouldn't use drop pods unless you intend to build a drop pod army. The LST is points for points, the best space marine unit without question.
But don't you think it will attract alot of firepower... I never played with landspeeders so I can't really know but they seem so weak to me... I this army I need the units to finish it off and hold points I dont think the speeders can manage that... but correct me if i am wrong lol :p.

i know :) thats my future army when the shop finally decides to make the drop pod! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Final Army List 2000pts:
Trait advantage: Honour your wargear.
Minor Drawback: We Stand Alone

HQ: Chaplin + Thunderhammer, Jump pack, Terminator Honours, Frag g., Auspex = 168

FA: Assault squad, 10sm, Vet. Serg + Powerfist & Combat shield, 2 * Plasma Pistol = 265
FA: Assault squad, 10sm, Vet. Serg + Powerfist & Combat shield, 2 * Plasma Pistol = 265

The only choice i didn't make is the choice wich troops I should take, I came up with 2 ideas:
Troops: Scouts, 8s, 8 * Sniper = 144
Troops: Scouts, 10s = 130
OR
Troops: Scouts, 10s, 1 * Misile L. = 140
Troops: Scouts, 10s, 1 * Heavy Bolter = 135

I personally opt for the second choice because I think I don't need the snipers... Anyway fire away!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts