Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to LO forums so this is actually my first post.

Ive started a BoC army, bought a tuskgor chariot and a herd unit, I have made plans for the army list, but still cannot decide a particular theme. I liked nurgle, but the lack of leadership seems like a cry out for a slaanesh theme, magic looks great with this army, cheap units and the ability to create multiple casters out of normally combat based heroes and lords seems like an easy option for tzeentch, I will post my list so far, keep in mind this is nurgle based. I have enough supplys (money wise) to go total captain cave-man on this, I need constructive criticism!!

Lord(320): Doombull
army general, slaughterers blade, trollhide armour, horn of the great hunt, mark of nurgle

hero(116): Bray-Shaman
chaos armour, lore of beasts, dispell scroll, braystaff

beasts(100): Herd, 8 gor 6 ungor
2 hand weapons (gor), foe render, spears (ungor)

beasts(104): Herd, 8 gor 7 ungor
2 hand weapons (gor), foe render, spears (ungor)

beasts(158): Herd, 10 gor 8 ungor
2 hand weapons (gor), foe render, spears (ungor), mark of nurgle

beasts(158): Herd, 10 gor 8 ungor
2 hand weapons (gor), foe render, spears (ungor), mark of nurgle

beasts(209): 4 minotaurs
great weapons, mark of nurgle

beasts(209): 4 minotaurs
great weapons, mark of nurgle

beasts(30): 5 warhounds

beasts(85): tuskgor chariot

special(165): 3 chaos trolls

special(145): 5 centigor
hand weapons, light armour, spears, shields, mark of nurgle

rare(75): spawn of chaos
beast of nurgle

Total: 1999pts
The idea is to hit hard and fast, and ambush using either 2 of the herd units and the hounds or all 4 of the herd units and use the hounds to protect flanks or harass enemy cavalry etc..

work the magic :) ;Y

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
First off, your Doombull is illegal. he may not have any magic items, except a magic weapon.

As your Mino units have MoNurgle, be sure to give them Light Armour too.

You may want to look at adding another Shaman for more antimagic.

The Beast herds are good, though add a musician to each.

Centigor cannot be marked... so they will have to loose MoNurgle. Add a 6th Centi and Music.

Double up on the Spawns.

Finally, loose the Trolls. Their extremely low Ld and stupidity means they need Ld babysitting by your general in order for them to be useful, and that can take your Doombull out of the game some what. Also they are pretty expensive. Drop them for 4 more Nurgle Minotaurs, with LA. Look at having them with 2xHW as well maybe, as opposed to the others who wield GWs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, i noticed that after i went to order some more core units and was reading through the army book where i picked up a lot of stuff i had missed.

Here is my revised list:

Lord(276): Doombull
army general, slaughterers blade, mark of nurgle

hero(91): Bray-Shaman
chaos armour, lore of beasts, braystaff

hero(85): Bray-Shaman
chaos armour, lore of beasts

beasts(105): Herd, 8 gor 6 ungor
2 hand weapons (gor), foe render, musician, spears (ungor)

beasts(105): Herd, 8 gor 6 ungor
2 hand weapons (gor), foe render, musician, spears (ungor)

beasts(163): Herd, 10 gor 8 ungor
2 hand weapons (gor), foe render, musician, spears (ungor), mark of nurgle

beasts(163): Herd, 10 gor 8 ungor
2 hand weapons (gor), foe render, musician, spears (ungor), mark of nurgle

beasts(221): 4 minotaurs
great weapons, light armour, mark of nurgle

beasts(221): 4 minotaurs

special(109): 6 centigor
hand weapons, light armour, spears, shields, musician

beast of nurgle

beast of nurgle

Army Total: 2004pts

So ive dropped the trolls. Added a centigor and dropped the MON, added musicians, dropped the doombull's illegal magic items, and added another cheap bray-shaman in for the cost of a dispel scroll and some spare pts and bought another spawn. It looks good, but should i drop the chariots for another unit of minotaurs?

Thanks heaps either way with the advice, though i would have been fine with the chaos trolls, they are no less a worry than centigor in many ways, and i would easily sacrifice the doombulls usual charge to back up the trolls, their vomit makes bretonian knights look like chew toys..

·
7,143 Posts
Nah, the Chariots make a nice addition. Just one final point, drop an Ungor. Going over the pointsa limit is ok by a little imo, but when you can get bang on by just dropping one model. Its like if a skaven player ever asks if he can be 2pts over... no way! :p

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
usually, if you're going to use the Doombull, you'll want to capitalize on the minotaurs become core rule. Minotaurs are really good, esp with great weapons. I would drop the herds. I don't see them helping you at all. Either make them cheap screens for shooting fodder, or only take 2 herds. With a Doombull, you can't ambush, so having a bunch of herds causing panic tests to your other squads seems counter-productive. Unruly, will bite you at least once a game, due to the raiders rule, a lot of times they can't rank up which also works against them. I just don't see any reason for taking so many herds in a doombull army.

the other problem you will find, is that your spawn will get stuck behind the rest of the army because of their slow movement. You'll want to move fast and hit hard with chariots and minotaurs and not wait around for some lagging spawn to come and get stuck in a unit so you can hit the enemies' flank. I would drop the spawn and get either a giant (also not reliable in combat but moves and causes terror at least) or some dragon ogres.

I would go with this kind of setup

Doombull
scroll caddy shaman
minotaurs
minotaurs
minotaurs - all with lt armor, grt wpns and MoN
Minotaurs - 2 hand wpns
chariot
chariot
chariot
Dragon Orgres Grt wpns, lt armor
small beast herd
hounds x2
Centigors as written

This gives you the option to play khorne later on if you want or branch out to other beast armies (new demon book is coming out in April) so you can mix it up a bit later.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Revised List:

chaos armour, lore of beasts, braystaff, scroll of dispel

hero(120): Wargor
hand weapon, shield, heavy armour, battle standard bearer, the gore banner, mark of nurgle

beasts(260): 17 pestigors
hand weapons, great weapons, heavy armour, musician, mark of nurgle

beasts(240): 4 minotaurs
2 hand weapons, light armour, mark of nurgle

beasts(248): 4 minotaurs

beasts(344): 6 minotaurs

beasts(60): 10 warhounds

beasts(60): 10 warhounds

total: 2003pts

so the wargor joins the pestigors, increased warhound packs, one more big unit of minotaurs (i did this to save pts on MON) i've also dropped one shaman, added a D.S. to the other and added in the wargor, so he has basic armor but the standard should significantly help the unit.
We're heading into new territory here so let me know what you think - hopefully there will be enough units to avoid being out maneuvered...

·
7,143 Posts
Drop the 6 Minotaurs down to just 4. Any more are just points wasted really. I guess you could run 2 Units of 5 and have the Doombull join the unit of 4, but they may become a bit wide then for manouvering etc.

I think Beast Herds will be far better for you than Bestigor, You already have your hard hitters, Minos, and theyre faster. Even though they cant ambush, beast herds add a great deal of tactical ability to a beast list, as they are Skirmishers, and pretty good in combat with the amount off attacks they can throw out.

Also, split the Warhound units in half, or drop both to 6 is you want points for Herds instead.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

chaos armour, lore of beasts, braystaff, scroll of dispel

beasts(199): 12 pestigors
hand weapons, great weapons, heavy armour, musician, mark of nurgle

beasts(105): herd, 8 gor 6 ungor
2 hand weapons (gor), musician, foe-render, spears (ungor)

beasts(105): herd, 8 gor 6 ungor

beasts(113): herd, 8 gor 8 ungor

beasts(240): 3 minotaurs
2 hand weapons, light armour, mark of nurgle

beasts(248): 3 minotaurs

beasts(248): 3 minotaurs

total:2000pts

I wanted to keep the bestigor for a solid combat unit, especially when dealing with horde armies, 12 wont do too much but they will give the herd units some nice back up. i dropped the wargor and used his pts to buy the 3rd unit of beast herd, ive dropped the size of the minotaur units down to 3, and the DB can join any he chooses making a unit of 4..

·
7,143 Posts
Serioulsy, with the Minotaurs giving you the same unit Str, being faster AND having more attacks, i think youll be better off with just 4 more of them rather than the Bestis. Also, Nurgle is pretty expensive for just 12 Bestis. For them its key element is fear (as opposed to minotaurs scaly skin) and to take full advantage of that you need a large fear causing unit. Unit strength is the key, and needs to be 20+. Also, Bestis die far too easily, very poorly armoured.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.