Lords-

Archmage- Annulian Crystal, Dispel Scroll, Gardian Phoenix, High lore

Dragon Mage- Sun Dragon, Gem of Sun fire, The Skeinsilver, Lore of Fire

Core- 15 Lothern Sea Guard- Full command, shields

15 Lothern Sea Guard- Full command sheilds

Special- 15 Sword Masters of Hoeth- Full command, Banner of sorcery

10 Silver Helms- Full command

Rare- 2 Repeater Bolt throwers

I was going for a seafareing Archmage and his army theme. I wanted the mages to derive from Caledor so im not sure wether to replace the silverhelms with Dragon princes for fluffy flavor or not.

I need help to perfect my list so I can start building this army soon im very new to warhammer fantasy and am try to decide which army i want to play. Im an eldar player in 40k so high elves seemed my style.

So any advise will be great just as long as we stick with the Mages from Caledor who studied in Saphery for a long period of time only to hit the seas and try to search the world for more dragons or find the mystery as to why they are all sleeping and cure it.

·
Herman1004
1,266 Posts
Lords-

Archmage- Annulian Crystal, Dispel Scroll, Gardian Phoenix, High lore
This guy looks fine though I would exchange the guardian phoenix with a power stone or something.

Dragon Mage- Sun Dragon, Gem of Sun fire, The Skeinsilver, Lore of Fire
This is the guy you want to give the guardian phoenix. Exchange it for the GoSF which isn't worth the points

Core- 15 Lothern Sea Guard- Full command, shields

15 Lothern Sea Guard- Full command sheilds
I'm not a fan of LSg as they cost so much points. Especially when you field them like this. If you want to use LSG you should field them 7*3

10 Silver Helms- Full command
These guys are not worth their points. For just some points more, you can get a much more efficient DP unit.

I was going for a seafareing Archmage and his army theme. I wanted the mages to derive from Caledor so im not sure wether to replace the silverhelms with Dragon princes for fluffy flavor or not.

I need help to perfect my list so I can start building this army soon im very new to warhammer fantasy and am try to decide which army i want to play. Im an eldar player in 40k so high elves seemed my style.

So any advise will be great just as long as we stick with the Mages from Caledor who studied in Saphery for a long period of time only to hit the seas and try to search the world for more dragons or find the mystery as to why they are all sleeping and cure it.
Overall a very good list. Really like that you want to add some fluff and character to your army and I love your fluff.

Keep up the good work.:happy:

·
Master of the Crab Women
1,007 Posts
Overall a very good list. Really like that you want to add some fluff and character to your army and I love your fluff.

Keep up the good work.:happy:
I have to agree with herman's points although I am a fan of the ring of fury and silver wand combo on a dragon mage.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lords-

Archmage- Annulian Crystal, Dispel Scroll, Power stone, High lore

Dragon Mage- Sun Dragon, Silver wand, Guardian pheonix, Lore of Fire

Core- 10 Lothern Sea Guard- Full command, shields

10 Lothern Sea Guard- Full command, sheilds

10 Dragon Princes- Full command

Better? It wont let me reduce the number of sea guard to less than units of 10 so i just split them up. Also followed some of your other advise. I actually like this list alot better seems fluffier to me and still combat effective.

So any advice/ more tweeks?

·
Registered
278 Posts
IMO the DP's would be more effective split as two units (of five) each with a musician they can the work as a team one hitting from the front one from the flanks thereby negating your opponents static CR. I would also seriously consider taking the silver wand (rather than the annulian crystal)on the archmage giving you 5 of the six possible high magic spells and using cursed arrow of attraction enhansing your substantial shooting phase. Realy nice list good luck and have fun.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Okay, I like what I see. This list has the potential to be really good, but there are alot of things that could be done differently. I'm not trying to hijack your list or cut you down, just offer some advice, sorry if it seems like a flood right now.

Lords-

Archmage- Annulian Crystal, Dispel Scroll, Power stone, High lore
Okay, I dislike this mage. He has the High Lore, which is all close ranged, and he's the general- he needs to be quick moving, and could use some armor. Might I suggest putting him on a barded steed? In addition, the Dispell Scroll is cool, but the Powerstone is a once-and-done thing. I usually try to stay away from those. I'd make him a Llv 4, just because he'll generate more dice and more spells.

Dragon Mage- Sun Dragon, Silver wand, Guardian pheonix, Lore of Fire
I like this set up alot. Keep this. Make him a level2 to get the maximum use out of him.

Core- 10 Lothern Sea Guard- Full command, shields

I don't like this. Units of 10 are terrible. They will take excessive casualties, never get their rank bonus, and will always be outnumbered and won't be getting their beautiful 3rank defense. You only need 1 core unit at 2k, so I'd make those LSGs into 1unit of 21. Use the extra points to fix those mages or change some of the other points i'm going to bring up. :)

10 Dragon Princes- Full command
I like those Swordmasters, so go ahead and keep them as-is.
The dragon prices need changed though. You can have up to 5Special units. 10 DPs is sever overkill. If you want large units, you shouldn't have any units bigger than 7. This is maximum frontage. You always lose cavalry, so you're not going to get the ranks.
There is a theory known as MSU (multiple small units) that says that after a point, units become innefective. I'd say 2 units of 5-7 DPs would be the best. Keep the full command, but if you find yourself tight-up for points drop the champions, and then the standard bearers. The reason is, Combat Resolution is NOT A GOOD THING with cavalry. They can easily outrun pursuing infantry but they can't stand and fight. If they fail to break the enemy on the first round of combat, they are probably going to lose the second round anyways. Why face the extra casualties when you're going to run anyways?

good. always good to take these, only commented to keep consistent 0:

I like the list, I'm glad to see you were thinking about fluff and functionality this early in the game. After a few good fights with some decent opponents, you'll pick this army and this game up fairly quickly. Keep up the good work man.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just caught a few bits of brain glitch here... I'll agree that units of 10 LSG are bad, but you need 2 core @ 2K points! Similarly, you're allowed up to 6 special slots (not 5).

Also, cavalry unit maximum frontage is typically 6-wide against any units which aren't also 6-wide cavalry (in which case you'd want 7). But as a rule, 6-wide should be as wide you go.

I don't like this. Units of 10 are terrible. They will take excessive casualties, never get their rank bonus, and will always be outnumbered and won't be getting their beautiful 3rank defense. You only need 1 core unit at 2k, so I'd make those LSGs into 1unit of 21. Use the extra points to fix those mages or change some of the other points i'm going to bring up. :)

I like those Swordmasters, so go ahead and keep them as-is.
The dragon prices need changed though. You can have up to 5Special units. 10 DPs is sever overkill. If you want large units, you shouldn't have any units bigger than 7. This is maximum frontage. You always lose cavalry, so you're not going to get the ranks.

There is a theory known as MSU (multiple small units) that says that after a point, units become innefective. I'd say 2 units of 5-7 DPs would be the best. Keep the full command, but if you find yourself tight-up for points drop the champions, and then the standard bearers. The reason is, Combat Resolution is NOT A GOOD THING with cavalry. They can easily outrun pursuing infantry but they can't stand and fight. If they fail to break the enemy on the first round of combat, they are probably going to lose the second round anyways. Why face the extra casualties when you're going to run anyways?
I don't really have anything constructive to add in terms of list advice, most of what I've said has already been recommended. However, I would say that I really don't like trying to go "middle of the road" magic-wise. The current system rewards the players who play the extremes (cheap lv 1 scroll(x2)-caddy or TFC with 16+ PD), and punish anyone who tries to play in between. You don't have enough to beat the simple scroll-caddy lists because they'll let your magic missiles go and just make sure to stop the big stuff. Conversely there isn't enough here to stop a 2nd Gen Slann or the 16+ PD Tzeentch armies. Take that for what it's worth, I know a lot of people agree with this analysis of the current system, but I still see lots of people playing the middle, and they don't always get wrecked.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
K so here is another version.

I think this list is more rank friendly and since keeping the fluff is important to me i didnt add any new special units. I also beefed up the mages as requested.

Lords-

Archmage- Barded steed, Annulian Crystal, 2 Dispel Scroll, Level 4, High lore

Dragon Mage- Level 2, Sun Dragon, Silver wand, Guardian pheonix, Lore of Fire

Core- 14 Lothern Sea Guard- Full command, shields

14 Lothern Sea Guard- Full command, sheilds

Special- 18 Sword Masters of Hoeth- Full command, Banner of sorcery

6 Dragon Princes- Full command, Drakemaster with sword of battle (had 20 points to spend)

Better? Worse?

·
Rushing Jaws
1,541 Posts
I wouldn't give the drakemaster the sword of battle myself; he will have to use that instead of his lance and I think the lance strength bonus is preferable to the extra attack, especially if you're paying for the extra attack.

So, I'd drop the sword.

A few more effective suggestions for those spare points mght be:

Warbanner or Baner of Ellyrion on the Dragon Prince standard bearer

Amulet of light on the Bladelord or Drakemaster

or perhaps a talisman of protection for the Archmage and a gem of courage for whoever you want to give it to

etc.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Lords-

Archmage- Annulian Crystal, 2 Dispel Scroll, Level 4, Talisman of protection, High lore

6 Dragon Princes- Full command, Banner of Ellyrion, Drakemaster with Amulet of Light

There

Im really starting to like the look of this list! and yes I ditched the steed for the archmage but thats just because I already have the model for one on foot and I though that if i just give him the amulet and keep him close to my core blocks he wont get into too much trouble, but im new to the game so what do i know?! Thank you all for your help. This list looks the best out of all the armies I've made lists for, and really clarifies that i want to be a high elf player for warhammer fantasy.

But is this list as good as its going to get while staying in the context of my fluff?

Is there any final changes I MUST make, or any little tips that i should follow?

And technically I still have 6 points hanging in the air if u can think of something to spend 5 points on, but i doubt it...

·
Master of the Crab Women
1,007 Posts
Lords-

Archmage- Annulian Crystal, 2 Dispel Scroll, Level 4, Talisman of protection, High lore

6 Dragon Princes- Full command, Banner of Ellyrion, Drakemaster with Amulet of Light

There

Im really starting to like the look of this list! Thank you all for your help.

But is this list as good as its going to get while staying in the context of my fluff?

Is there any final changes I MUST make, or any little tips that i should follow?
Surely the Jewel of the Dusk for the archmage would be better for magical punch. He's not going to be running around on his own is he? A 6+ ward is pretty dire.

Other than that, I like the list.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lords-

Archmage- Jewel of the dusk, 1 Dispel Scroll, Vambraces of Defence, Level 4,High lore

Dragon Mage- Level 2, Sun Dragon, Dispel scroll, Guardian pheonix, Lore of Fire

Special- 18 Sword Masters of Hoeth- Full command, Banner of sorcery, Blademaster with gem of courage

6 Dragon Princes- Full command, Drakemaster with Amulet of Light

So i mixed up the gear I gave my hero's to give my Archmage more powerdice while giving him more protection (4+ ward save), and distubuted my dispel scrolls.

Better? worse?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.