- Catalyst

Tervigon 190
- Scything Talons
- Toxin sac
- Catalyst

Trygon 240
- Prime

Zoanthrope Brood ( 2 ) 120

I have 36pts to spare if anyone can suggest something.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would get rid of the raveners and maybe the venomthropes, and get 4 hive guard. You need some rhino poppers. Or you might keep the Venomthropes and scrap the hormagaunts. You really want the hive guard though, they are indispensable. Also, you might considers a zoanthrope or two in a mysetic spore. Good luck on your first game! And welcome back!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I dropped the Raveners but kept the Venomthopes and hormagaunts, but lost regeneration on the Tervigon. I am having trouble letting go of the venoms as the model looks so cool and I wanted to keep the Horms to make up numbers. But like I said I haven't played Tyranids before and I haven't played 40k in ages so not too sure what to so.

·
Shire can't handle me
6,167 Posts
The Venomthrope is a cool model, but is redundant in this list. Why? Simply because of the variety of model sizes in your army and the FNP from the Tervigons, which allows you to reap cover saves. Both Tervigons should have Catalyst as their psychic power always.

This allows you to get a Spore for the Warriors (always good) and to fill out your Termagant broods. I'm a bit tired so that's all I'll say for the moment, if I find anything more later then I'll comment. Otherwise, good luck and welcome! :sinister:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hive Guards are a MUST! I think our Elite slots are where our tank busters are. And they are too important to be used for venomthropes.

I would drop the hormagants and venomthropes for more hive guards and zoanthropes. The termagant broods, why 16 and 12? I think 10 would be enough considering the tervigons are gonna give you a lot more.

Genestealers... 8 of them aren't effective... I used to play 8 but switched to one big brood of 16 work much better. Seriously scary when a brood that big inflitrate 18" from your opponent's unit.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys Thanks so much for all the input. I'm going to rewrite the army list and when I'm done I'll post it up for comments. Safe to say I need all the help I can get lol.

·
Shire can't handle me
6,167 Posts
Make sure you have 2x2 Hive Guard instead of just a clump of four, because that's illegal.

I'd get rid of a Tyranid Warrior. Then I'd give the Zoanthropes a Mycetic Spore (a must) and the Tervigons Adrenal Glands. I'd then fill out the Termagant squads, because regardless of what anyone says, bigger is better, especially when it comes to buffing these units.

I'd also drop the number of two Genestealers or so, so you can give the other Toxin Sacs (also a must). It makes them a lot better against all armies.

The Trygon... I'm not sure whether it fits in with the list. You definitely don't need the Prime upgrade either. This gives you and extra eight Termagants.

So if you followed my suggestions, then your list would look like this (be wary that I'm doing this simply because I have nothing better to do right now):

== HQ ==
Swarmlord Brood (400 pts.)
--> Swarmlord (1) = 280 pts.
--> Tyrant Guard (2) - Scything Talons = 120 pts.

== Elites ==
Hive Guard Brood (2) = 100 pts.
Hive Guard Brood (2) = 100 pts.
Zoanthrope Brood (160 pts.)
--> Zoanthrope (2) = 120 pts.
--> Mycetic Spore (1) = 40 pts.

== Troops ==
Tyranid Warrior Brood (5) - Deathspitter, Pair Of Boneswords, Toxin Sacs = 250 pts.
Genestealer Brood (13) - Toxin Sacs = 221 pts.
Tervigon (1) - Cluster Spines, AG, Toxin Sacs, Cat, Taken As Troops = 195 pts.
Termagant Brood (18) - Fleshborer = 90 pts.
Tervigon (1) - Cluster Spines, AG, Toxin Sacs, Cat, Taken As Troops = 195 pts.
Termagant Brood (18) - Fleshborer = 90 pts.

== Heavy Support ==
Trygon (1) - Instinctive Behaviour - Feed = 200 pts.

== Total ==
2001 pts.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate all the help it's awesome!!! Not really sure why the trygon doesn't fit? But thats mainly cause I've always been more into painting the minis rather than playing the game lol. This then leads me to buying the stuff that looks cool rather than what works. So if you have a better suggestion than the Trygon I'm all ears as I'm keen on using this team to join a local club and get my gaming on! ha ha.

·
Shire can't handle me
6,167 Posts
Tony Streeter said:
I appreciate all the help it's awesome!!! Not really sure why the trygon doesn't fit? But thats mainly cause I've always been more into painting the minis rather than playing the game lol. This then leads me to buying the stuff that looks cool rather than what works. So if you have a better suggestion than the Trygon I'm all ears as I'm keen on using this team to join a local club and get my gaming on! ha ha.
I have to agree with you there!

The Trygon doesn't fit because there is only one of them. Two is usually the best number to have in an army, because this means double the intimidation, double the attacks and effectiveness, and therefore doubling your chances of them being worthwhile in your game. This also increases the amount of ways you can use them and allows for a broader range of tactics.

The problem is that I have no idea where you'd find the points for the second Trygon...

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe I have to make a 3000pts army ha ha. I don't seem to be getting everything I want and I originally started with 1500pts. I just kept bumping it up and up to fit more in lol.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So it's been a really long night for me lol. I have been trawling the forum for advice and expertise, and with the Worlord Vrrmik's help I believe I have come up with a decent 2000pt army. This is slightly different than before as I decided to drop the special character for the sake of playing games with those who don't allow it. Although I would love to have a Flyrant with 4 boneswords ha ha. I will do the conversion I think but for game terms just call them Scything Talons. Anyway here is my army list:

<=====HQ=====>

Flyrant 230pts
- 2 sets of Scything Talons
- Wings
- Paroxysm
- Leech Essence

<=====ELITE=====>

Hive Guard Brood ( 2 ) 100pts

Zoanthrope Brood ( 2 ) 160pts
- Mycetic Spore

<=====TROOPS=====>

Tyranid Warrior Brood ( 3 ) 120pts
- Pair of Boneswords
- Scything Talons

Tervigon 195pts
- Cluster spines
- Adrenal glands
- Toxin sacs
- Catalyst

Termagant Brood ( 18 ) 90pts

Tervigon 195pts
- Cluster spines
- Adrenal glands
- Toxin sacs
- Catalyst

<=====FAST ATTACK=====>

Gargoyle Brood ( 17 ) 102pts

<=====HEAVY SUPPORT=====>

Biovore Brood ( 2 ) 90

Tyrannofex 265pts
- Rupture Cannon

Tyrannofex 265pts
- Rupture Cannon

Total:2002

·
Shire can't handle me
6,167 Posts
Tony Streeter said:
So it's been a really long night for me lol. I have been trawling the forum for advice and expertise, and with the Worlord Vrrmik's help I believe I have come up with a decent 2000pt army. This is slightly different than before as I decided to drop the special character for the sake of playing games with those who don't allow it. Although I would love to have a Flyrant with 4 boneswords ha ha. I will do the conversion I think but for game terms just call them Scything Talons. Anyway here is my army list:

<=====HQ=====>

Flyrant 230pts
- Wings
- Paroxysm
- Leech Essence

<=====ELITE=====>

Zoanthrope Brood ( 2 ) 160pts
- Mycetic Spore

<=====TROOPS=====>

Tyranid Warrior Brood ( 3 ) 120pts
- Pair of Boneswords
- Scything Talons

Tervigon 195pts
- Cluster spines
- Adrenal glands
- Toxin sacs
- Catalyst

Tervigon 195pts
- Cluster spines
- Adrenal glands
- Toxin sacs
- Catalyst

<=====FAST ATTACK=====>

Gargoyle Brood ( 17 ) 102pts

<=====HEAVY SUPPORT=====>

Biovore Brood ( 2 ) 90

Tyrannofex 265pts
- Rupture Cannon

Tyrannofex 265pts
- Rupture Cannon

Total:2002
Well this is just a completely different list!

A couple of things I'd do. Firstly, I'd get rid of the Biovores. You could then buy back the Warrior build you had before (only four though) OR ditch the Warriors and buy a Genestealer brood of ten with toxins. I question the two Tyrannofexes. I won't be too picky on this one.

Just remember: Warriors are best in broods of 5, Gargoyles are best as 20 with AG and TS, Flyrants are optimum with 2x TL devs... and two Tyrannofexes is a massive points drain at this level, I'd ditch one for a podding Carni with ST (or TL Devs), TL Devs and Bio-Plasma (only w/ST).

I don't understand why you changed the list. I quite liked your previous one.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well this is just a completely different list!

I don't understand why you changed the list. I quite liked your previous one.
I guess I'm just getting all confused with what I've been reading lol. I wanted to ditch the Swarmlord for a no character army and I want to get my army right before I start purchasing any minis. I did like the other list too lol. Basically I don't know what I want other than it's mostly going against Space wolves.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok so I was being indecisive in the small hours of the night lol. After some careful consideration I think I'll stick with the first army list but if I should play against someone who doesn't allow the swarmlord, I will use the same model but with these options:

Hive Tyrant 280pts
- Hive Command
- Regeneration
- Armoured Shell
- Thorax Swarm w/Electroshock grubs

I know some of this may not be ideal but it was just to make up points. I have to say thanks to Warlord Vrrmik for putting up with all the changes lol.

·
Shire can't handle me
6,167 Posts
Tony Streeter said:
Ok so I was being indecisive in the small hours of the night lol. After some careful consideration I think I'll stick with the first army list but if I should play against someone who doesn't allow the swarmlord, I will use the same model but with these options:

Hive Tyrant 280pts
- Hive Command
- Regeneration
- Armoured Shell
- Thorax Swarm w/Electroshock grubs

I know some of this may not be ideal but it was just to make up points. I have to say thanks to Warlord Vrrmik for putting up with all the changes lol.
There are many things wrong with that Tyrant. Firstly most of the weaponry aimed at him ignores armour anyway, so armoured shell is pointless. Secondly, the regeneration is so unlikely to happen that it's not worth its points. And finally, you've got a melee Tyrant walking! But I suppose that's ok due to your circumstances.

I'd strongly recommend you magnetise the arms of your Hive Tyrant, so that you can interchange weapon options. Use the Swarmlord head and all that, just magnetise the arms so you can customise your build how you like it (walking Tyrants beg for guns...).

Also, in the rare circumstance where Special or Unique Characters are not allowed, use his points somewhere else. You don't have to use all the 280 points in the Tyrant. Give yourself some more Termagants or Genestealers. Buy a Broodlord. Anything.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There are many things wrong with that Tyrant. Firstly most of the weaponry aimed at him ignores armour anyway, so armoured shell is pointless. Secondly, the regeneration is so unlikely to happen that it's not worth its points. And finally, you've got a melee Tyrant walking! But I suppose that's ok due to your circumstances.

I'd strongly recommend you magnetise the arms of your Hive Tyrant, so that you can interchange weapon options. Use the Swarmlord head and all that, just magnetise the arms so you can customise your build how you like it (walking Tyrants beg for guns...).

Also, in the rare circumstance where Special or Unique Characters are not allowed, use his points somewhere else. You don't have to use all the 280 points in the Tyrant. Give yourself some more Termagants or Genestealers. Buy a Broodlord. Anything.
I never even considered magnets before lol. I will deffinately look into that one. Now given the advice this is how I think I would go.

Hive Tyrant w/ TL Devourer brainleech, Hvy venom cannon, paroxysm, Leech essence - 210pts

add a Broodlord to the Genes w/ Scything Talons, Toxin sacs - 65pts

and with the last five I got 1 more Termagant for which ever brood

Hope that plays alot better than the previous idea.

·
Shire can't handle me
6,167 Posts
That's better. The Broodlord makes sense, sort of leading the Genes into battle, especially seeing as they're a larger brood.

Now, what are we gonna do about this Trygon? The best option would be exchange it for a Carni in a spore with 2x TL Devs, but that takes you 30 points over the limit. Minus that extra Termagant, you're left with 25 points too many. Maybe take out a Genestealer and a Termagant. This'd leave you two points over but that's fine, you're generally allowed a five point leeway on the points limit.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Now, what are we gonna do about this Trygon? The best option would be exchange it for a Carni in a spore with 2x TL Devs, but that takes you 30 points over the limit. Minus that extra Termagant, you're left with 25 points too many. Maybe take out a Genestealer and a Termagant. This'd leave you two points over but that's fine, you're generally allowed a five point leeway on the points limit.
This is a good idea and I get what you're saying but I intend to up the points to 3000 after I have this first lot collected. My idea is to keep everything from this list and just add to it. So should I get rid of the trygon if I intend to get another in the next 1000pts? Also I was staying clear of the Carni so I could use a Tyrannofex. Would I be better with more carni's? Also I am nearly maxed out with troops and if I add 2 extra Hive guard and a Zoanthrope it really only leaves me with fast attack and heavy support.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.