Heavy Support
Exorcist 135
- Extra Armour 5
- Hunter-Killer Missile 10

3x Penitent Engines 240

2x Penitent Engines 160

Total 2083

General strategy is as follows per unit:
Lord w/ Retinue: Find someone to get in combat with. All the power weapons should do well.

Priest: Joins one of the Zealot units and helps them out with his Fanatical rule.

Arco-Flagellants: Hide behind troops until they're close enough to turn on the injectors and rush up for combat. 12 should be fairly deadly.

Daemonhosts: Do whatever. Hopefully they get some Teleport roles so they can move close to where CC support is needed, and then get one of their CC bonus powers.

IST's: Shields, and the meltagun unit could be tank or heavy infantry hunting if the situation arises.

Zealots: I'm excited to use these. The unit with the Priest can charge and use their Exterminators (single-use flamer things used in a round of combat), get the to hit re-roll bonus from the Priest, then finish with the eviscerators. Should be fairly effective against low- to medium-armour troops, and if not, they look cool and don't cost too much.

Exorcist: Anti-tank or anti-heavy infantry. The psi-tracker that the Inquisitor has is mostly for the Exorcist, and one of my main opponents is a Grey Knights army, so there will be Psykers aplenty.

Penitent Engines: Completely unpredictable.

If you haven't noticed, this is an entirely close combat oriented army, and it is also a radical army, so please don't go suggesting SoB's anywhere.

I've played a few games with a list resembling this and just without the second 6 Arcos and Zealots, and it has worked nicely, only lacking a bit in the anti-tank department. The Penitent Engines are pretty much hit or miss, one game they'll tear through 50 Gaunts and the next they'll all get blown up in one turn. They're awesome, though.

·
No King Rules Forever
284 Posts
What army are you playing? You seem to be confusing Witchhunters with Daemonhunters and Warhammer Fantasy Empire...

According to the Witchhunters codex, which I am looking at right now, there is no mention whatsoever of Daemonhosts. Barring Apocalypse settings, only Ordo Malleus Daemonhunter Inquisitors are able to use them. Witchhunters can have Penitent Witches as part of their retinue, but they're almost nothing like Daemonhosts.

Second, there is no mention of Zealots or Fanatics either. What the heck are they? I think they might be units for the Fantasy Empire army, but definitely not for any 40K army. The only two actual troop choices for Witchhunters are Sisters of Battle and Inquisitorial Stormtroopers.

And there's a minor rules infraction with your Inquisitor Lord: he can only have two weapons. You could give him the inferno pistol and the power weapon, or the inferno pistol and the power stake, or the power weapon and the power stake even, but not all three at once. The rule is two single-hand weapons, or one single-hand weapon and one double-hand weapon. You may have been led astray by the new Chaos codex, in which the Chaos Marines have a bolter, a bolt pistol, AND a close combat weapon, but that's just them. Don't mix rules between codexes. Stick to the rules outlined in your own army's codex. Unless you're playing Apocalypse, of course...

Other than those three issues, you have a great army here! I can definitely see you tearing through any opponent that comes your way. The only thing I'll mention is that some of your infantry might be a little slow when it comes to moving, which could delay your close combat phase and allow your opponent to take out a few and reduce their numbers and effectiveness before they reach his/her lines. In Cityfight this wouldn't be so much of a problem, though, and I'm sure you've found ways to work around the lack of mobility if it becomes an issue.

For the Emperor!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
i really don't like this you are bending the line of legality somthin awful

you've already broken yoiur fluff bu including the exorcist it is crewed by sisters and whats more is a SHRINE so no you can;t just say it's crewed by ist's the sisters wouldn't allow it

the daemonhosts are from codex daemonhunters and as a rule i would say you have to have a deamonhunting inquisitor to get em,

fluff wise a witchunter even radical wouldn't know how nor would he even do it if he did the line between pure and rad is different from dh's and ah's

zealots are a chapter approved unit which featured in white dwarf close to the begging of the whitch hunters realese and are again of questioning legality most tourney's willna allow you to feild them though i see no problems in a friendly game

your concept is okay but not really though through you need to ferine it more before commiting

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i really don't like this you are bending the line of legality somthin awful

you've already broken yoiur fluff bu including the exorcist it is crewed by sisters and whats more is a SHRINE so no you can;t just say it's crewed by ist's the sisters wouldn't allow it

the daemonhosts are from codex daemonhunters and as a rule i would say you have to have a deamonhunting inquisitor to get em,

fluff wise a witchunter even radical wouldn't know how nor would he even do it if he did the line between pure and rad is different from dh's and ah's

zealots are a chapter approved unit which featured in white dwarf close to the begging of the whitch hunters realese and are again of questioning legality most tourney's willna allow you to feild them though i see no problems in a friendly game

your concept is okay but not really though through you need to ferine it more before commiting
Yeah, I know, the Exorcist thing is a bit sketchy, but it's kind of necessary. My excuse is that it's technically specified as a detachment of the Ecclesiarchy in the Codex, like Penitent Engines.

@Dawnrunner:
Rules-wise I'm allied with Daemonhunters (which include Daemonhosts, obviously), but I think they'd be quite fitting for an Inquisitor that's a bit Chaos tainted. Have you read Eisenhorn? ;Y The army is really a joint effort between the Ecclesiarchy (Penitent Engines, Arcos, Zealots, Priests) and a rogue Inquisitor with his personal guard of Stormtroopers, retinue, and Daemonhosts.

And yes, Zealots are found in a White Dwarf from about four years ago; I definitely wouldn't try to use them in a tournament setting, but this army is friendly and 50% cool factor.

You are right about the Inquisitor's weapons. I just forgot about that rule. :rofl

I think fluffily speaking the only thing off in this army is the Exorcist, but I've got a bit of fluff to back that up... otherwise everything works together fairly nicely, and combines for a decent playing army.

·
No King Rules Forever
284 Posts
Fair enough, I suppose.
Still, I do think to use a Daemonhost you are required to include a legit Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, not just ally with them. And I have indeed read Eisenhorn...nobody reacted very well when Quixos was revealed to have been making flagrant use of Daemonhosts, and he got Barbarisater lodged in his heart for it. To say that your army is "a joint effort between the Ecclesiarchy and a rogue Inquisitor" is a bit sketchy, 'cause the Ecclesiarchy is not very likely to officially sanction use of Daemonhosts. They may not know or care too much if an Inquisitor uses them every so often in secret, but to openly march to war alongside such a creature and its master would probably not go down very well in the higher echelons, much less the regular footsloggers.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Still, I do think to use a Daemonhost you are required to include a legit Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, not just ally with them.
There is no rule in Codex: Daemonhunters that you have to take an Inquisitor to take Daemonhosts. You cannot take Grey Knights, but there is no rule forcing you to take an Inquisitor, (such as there is for Assassins, or Arco-Flagellants and Priests) so the Daemonhosts are perfectly viable filling up the 0-1 Daemonhunters ally spot.
Exorcists are maintained jointly by the Ecclesiarchy and the Sisters of Battle, so there is no reason an Apostate Cardinal with access to sufficient resources could abscond with one.
Fluff-wise, there is very little distinction between the Ordos of the Inquisition. Look at the aforementioned Eisenhorn, for example; although he is of the Ordo Xenos, he spends most of time hunting heretics and daemons.

To address the fluff issues surrounding the Ecclesiarchy, perhaps this is an Apostate Cardinal? Not a follower of the ruinous powers necessarily, but out for personal advancement, or simply mad.

Edit: I was wrong, there is a rule forcing you to take an Ordo Malleus Inquisitor. I wouldn't be a nazi about it in friendly games, but technically he does have to make his Inquisitor be from the Codex: Daemonhunters.

·
Archmagos
904 Posts
Just so you know, listing individual point costs isn't allowed.
You can post the total cost of a unit, or a character, but not each piece of wargear. Its because of copyright reasons

HQ
Inquisitor Lord 45
- Inferno Pistol 15
- Master-crafted power sword 25
- Power Stake 20
- Psi-tracker 15
- Psychic Hood 20
- Scourging 20
- Retinue
- 3x Combat Servitors 75
- 3x Acolytes (power swords) 54
- 1x Chirurgeon 12
- 1x Sage 10

Priest 40
- Plasma gun 15
Other than the 2 weapon thing:
I would take another chirurgeon. The sage is alright, but I would drop him. They really don't belong in assaulty units anyways.
Consider taking a Familiar or two. +1 initiative makes a difference.
Give the Priest carapace armor. Its cheap and if the plasma gun overheats, you'll want your protection. Personally I would give him an eviscerator instead

Elite
6x Arco-Flagellant 210

6x Arco-Flagellant 210

3x Daemonhost 255
Alright

Troops
8x Inquisitorial Stormtroopers 80
- 2x Meltaguns 30

8x Inquisitorial Stormtroopers 80
- 2x Plasma guns 30

10x Zealots (w/ priest) 50
- 2x Fanatics w/ eviscerators 40
- 2x Plasma Guns 16
- Exterminators 30

10x Zealots 136
- Same as above
The melta storm troopers need a transport if you want to get much use out of them.
Your points costs for the meltas and plasmas are off. I'm not allowed to say it exactly, but I'll say that you paid too much for them.
For the Zealots, they work most effectively in mobs of like 15-20 with eviscerators. While they can be alright for shooting, their real strength is the eviscerator. Personally I feel Exterminators aren't really that great, but its up to you.

Heavy Support
Exorcist 135
- Extra Armour 5
- Hunter-Killer Missile 10

3x Penitent Engines 240

2x Penitent Engines 160

Total 2083
The penitent engines are nice and fun, but unless you get more melta storm troopers, I suggest taking another Exorcist. HK missiles cost more than that

General strategy is as follows per unit:
Lord w/ Retinue: Find someone to get in combat with. All the power weapons should do well.
Fair enough; I suggest staying away from dedicated MEQ-grade assault units.
Arco-Flagellants: Hide behind troops until they're close enough to turn on the injectors and rush up for combat. 12 should be fairly deadly.

Daemonhosts: Do whatever. Hopefully they get some Teleport roles so they can move close to where CC support is needed, and then get one of their CC bonus powers.
Good

IST's: Shields, and the meltagun unit could be tank or heavy infantry hunting if the situation arises.
I suggest dedicating them to anti-tank.
Mounting them in transports will help them get in range quicker, plus blocking line of sight provides much better screening than fire priority does.

Zealots: I'm excited to use these. The unit with the Priest can charge and use their Exterminators (single-use flamer things used in a round of combat), get the to hit re-roll bonus from the Priest, then finish with the eviscerators. Should be fairly effective against low- to medium-armour troops, and if not, they look cool and don't cost too much.
Drop the plasma if you want to get the full effectiveness out of them. Eviscerators will do more here.

Exorcist: Anti-tank or anti-heavy infantry. The psi-tracker that the Inquisitor has is mostly for the Exorcist, and one of my main opponents is a Grey Knights army, so there will be Psykers aplenty.
IMO, the Exorcist's primary role should be anti-tank.

Hope it helps

Uh, kill the Sisters and load it up with your loyal IST cronies? Remember that until a "radical" is officially declared heretic, the Sisters have to obey lest they be declared heretics themselves, so the Inquisitor could demand the Exorcist from them and have them executed if they refused. Or during a large battle, perhaps they simply hijacked the vehicle - Orks do it.

Edit: I was wrong, there is a rule forcing you to take an Ordo Malleus Inquisitor. I wouldn't be a nazi about it in friendly games, but technically he does have to make his Inquisitor be from the Codex: Daemonhunters.
I may be mistaken, but I believe that the Daemonhunter codex only mentions that an Inquisitor or Lord must be taken. I couldn't find something that states it has to be from the Daemonhunter Codex, similarily to the DH inquisitor and WH assassin (or vice versa) situation.

Second, there is no mention of Zealots or Fanatics either. What the heck are they? I think they might be units for the Fantasy Empire army, but definitely not for any 40K army. The only two actual troop choices for Witchhunters are Sisters of Battle and Inquisitorial Stormtroopers.
In fact, they are for a 40k army, and thats WH. It was in White Dwarf; I forget which one. If you look through the WH forum, you'll find them mentioned every now and then. They count as a non-compulsory troop choice.

To say that your army is "a joint effort between the Ecclesiarchy and a rogue Inquisitor" is a bit sketchy, 'cause the Ecclesiarchy is not very likely to officially sanction use of Daemonhosts. They may not know or care too much if an Inquisitor uses them every so often in secret, but to openly march to war alongside such a creature and its master would probably not go down very well in the higher echelons, much less the regular footsloggers.
Hey, its possible. If Goge Vandire went off the deep-end, or Primarchs were able to be corrupted, an Imperial Cardinal could too. Plus in the Witch Hunter adversaries section, they list Apostate Cardinals, who are basically either rogue, chaos-corrupted, or just corrupted in our political sense of the word. Beyond the "constants" of 40k, there almost always is an exception to things. Take the Soul Drinkers Marines for example - Chaos mutated, yet not Chaos Marines.
Apart from Grey Knights and Sisters, the regular footsloggers are the easiest to corrupt. Thats why sometimes Inquisitors (most often Malleus) brainwash Space Marines and execute Guard after they requesition them.
Also, have you read the first Grey Knights? (I thought it was pretty good, but I still like Eisenhorn and Ciaphas Cain better) Anyways, a really radical Inquisitor starts summoning daemons, not just putting them into hosts and for some time, actually sways the Sisters of Battle - all while being hunted by the Ordo Malleus after somehow escaping from their prison at Saturn. The Sisters, in most cases, are less corruptible than the priests, and the Inquisitor (technically he had his rank removed) still was able to corrupt them.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I may be wrong, but I believe that the Daemonhunter codex only mentions that an Inquisitor or Lord must be taken. It doesn't state which codex, in a similar way to the WH Inquisitor, DH assassin (or vice versa) situation. The only thing I could find is that by taking daemonhosts, you can't take Grey Knights.
I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure someone had an argument about this (Malleus Inquisitor with Witch Hunter Assassins) on Warseer and someone ended up eventually contacting Games Workshop rules hotline, and was told that rules necessitating an Inquisitor refer only to the Codex in which the entry was found.

·
Archmagos
904 Posts
I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure someone had an argument about this (Malleus Inquisitor with Witch Hunter Assassins) on Warseer and someone ended up eventually contacting Games Workshop rules hotline, and was told that rules necessitating an Inquisitor refer only to the Codex in which the entry was found.
I have a feeling you're right about that, but some people I know have called in, and they were given varied responses. The Roolzboyz just aren't that consistant. Neither are store staff.
So, I've decided to base that off of what the Codex states, and it does not mention which Ordo the Inquisitor must be from.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
in an faq bout whether another army could allay in an assasin without the =][=/lord the answer was no you cannot have an assasin without a =][= from the relevant codex so i would assume the same rule applies for daemonhosts etc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.