Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much deliberation I've decided to end my 14 old year WHFB hiatus with Tomb Kings. I've already taken the plunge with the battalion, Liche Priest combo blister and Prince/King with GW on foot.

Really what attracted me most (apart from having an army of badass looking Egyptian themed undead) was how the army lends itself to being balanced as it works as a whole. With this in mind I've come up with the following list.

Tomb King: 265
Destroyer of Eternities
Collar of Shapesh

Standard load out for a King. Offensive and defensive, goes with the Tomb Guard to add some real punch.

Tomb Prince: 190
Chariot
Flail of Skulls

I mixed and matched all sorts of different item combos for this guy but kept coming back to this as it's simple, effective and he can still be a menace if his chariot get knocked out from under him.

Liche Priest: 160
Cloak of the Dunes
Hieratic Jar

Standard setup for a Hierophant, chills with/near the catapults to begin with and then flies around to lend magical support where it's needed.

Liche Priest: 173
Skeletal Steed
Dispel Scroll x2

A caddy setup that actually does more than just dispels. Sits with Warriors but has the ability to scarper if the unit is going to take a charge.

23 Skeleton Warriors: 194
Standard

Just a big block of SCR, stretched out to begin with to maximise bowfire, then reforms into a block if taking a charge is imminent.

3 Chariots: 140
Standard

4 Chariots: 180
Standard

4 Chariots: 180
Standard

The "hammer" units with minimal upgrades to do their jobs effectively.

19 Tomb Guard: 298
Full Command
Icon of Rakaph

Some people aren't that impressed with Tomb Guard, but with the multitude of extras as compared to Warriors and the ability to take the awesome Icon of Rakaph makes me think different. The amount of shenanigans I'll be doing with that banner makes for some really "outside the box" tactics.

Tomb Scorpion: xx

Probably about the only thing in the Tomb King list that's underpointed. About the only thing these guys can't do is break ranks. Bury them to cause fear and confusion, or just make a beeline for key pieces of your opponents army. Bargain, I'll take two.

5 Carrion: xx

The psychological advantage of having a first turn 40" charge to threaten warmachines and weaker support units is great. Useful for march blocking and just generally being annoying as well.

Screaming Skull Catapult: xx

One of the most useful and versatile warmachines in WHFB. Castings of Smiting on these together with Urgency on the Carrion will put my opponents under extreme pressure in the magic phase from turn one.

Total: 2250

I've tried to make a list which is balanced so that it has something meaningful to do in every phase without having to rely too much on one in particular. Magic defence is about as minimal as I'd go but it's the balance I've had to strike for a King lead list.
Thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I run a list that is very similar and Ive played your list exactly and here's my two cents:

Tomb prince is super annoying at US 5. I haven't found a unit that he can't take out (two units of 5 chaos knights yesterday, one on the flank one rear). I put him with just a normal flail and the Icon of rulership He can also help move a units of chariots around and charge out of the unit to get the flanks and charges people are not expecting. He can also nab a board corner last turn. If you want to keep him viable on the ground you can toss a great weapon on him.

Toss a champ in the unit of skeleton bowmen, if you get charged by something stupid like a bloodthruster the champ sucks up losses and then comes back to do it again. For 10 points you'll make your points back every game. Put magic banner in there (war banner +6 static combat resolution, or the Ban of the Undying legion if you want more magic force). I would just go for 25 skel wars.

Get the standards off the chariots. If I was playing you and I saw that I would just try to kill them the entire game. You've got 480 points + 300 points of standards (if I can get them in combat) all bunched up in T 4 5+ armor saves 12 or 15 wounds. With one str 7 guy out there it goes down to no armor saves, 2+ wound, 3+ hit (with them at 3 ws), 4 wounds. 780 points out of 2225 game will make it next to imposable to win. Then I would knock them down to units of 3 and just put another unit of 3 in there. when you start getting over 3 chariots you start not connecting with the units your fighting and losing impact hits. They also start getting un-weildy after you get past 1 and continue on in that fashion at an exponential rate.

You're TG's are good times the Icon owns folks. When the king and a big unit of; magic attacks, st 4, T 4, have a 360 degree charge and the chance to reform twice in a turn and still move 8 inches look out.

Tomb scorps are great, I used to them take out enemy wizards with this kind of list given the lack of dispel dice. About half the time you can get a wizard on turn two, and some times you can snag a lv 4 and put you at a huge advantage.

What you said about SSC's is dead on

You're choice on the other character is exactly how I play mine in this type of list

Its a good list and with the exception of the standards on the chariots, everything else is just preference and nit picking.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very good point about the chariots/standards, and a sneaky combo with the prince I overlooked.

With all the various savings and some shuffling this is what I've come up with.

Destroyer of Eternities
Collar of Shapesh

Tomb Prince: 167
Chariot
Flail
Icon of Rulership

Cloak of the Dunes
Hieratic Jar

Skeletal Steed
Dispel Scroll x2

24 Skeleton Warriors: 237
Standard
Champion
Banner of the Undying Legion

3 Chariots: 120

Full Command
Icon of Rakaph

Tomb Scorpion: 85

Tomb Scorpion: 85

5 Carrion: 120

Screaming Skull Catapult: 90

Screaming Skull Catapult: 90

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah I would run that list a few times and see if you like it. Its balanced and has a lot of defensive capabilities: I castle up (against ogres, chaos, etc.), put the carrion behind a unit, then shoot at it with the SSC. You march block and if the unit fails a leadership roll they pick it up (because they run into a US 5 group of carrion). Offensives capabilities are all there just make sure you keep a plan as to what you want to do in the magic phase. When the end of the game starts coming up and things get spread out you can lose a ton of stuff fast. The TK / TG unit can kill anything, and remember you can use his special attack in the magic phase. Don't be afraid to sacrifice your units of chariots to save your flanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thinking about it again giving the Prince the Icon of Rulership has the huge negative of him being able to be singled out if in a unit. With that in mind and even more shuffling I've come up with this.

Destroyer of Eternities
Collar of Shapesh

Tomb Prince: 197
Chariot
Flail
Chariot of Fire
Brooch of the Great Desert

Cloak of the Dunes
Hieratic Jar

Skeletal Steed
Dispel Scroll x2

24 Skeleton Warriors: 237
Champion
Standard
Banner of the Undying Legion

3 Chariots: xxx

2 Tomb Swarms: xx

Full Command
Icon of Rakaph

5 Carrion: xx

Total: 2250 (wow all three of my list have been on the button B) )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.