Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I saw a list similar to this on a different forum and it's very similar to the list I want to run when my WoC are all assembled, so i thought I would have a play with it.

I'm struggling with the lack of fluff since all the knights and the Marauder horsemen are all Marked by Slaanesh, should I really make my sorcerers Slananeshi too?

Initially I wanted to mark my Marauders with Khorne but the points are too far over for that so I had to change them to MoS instead, and added LA and throwing axes to them.

Are the Marks completely wrong on this list?

Also I know the list is 1pt over but this is for in-house gaming (which can be unusually competitive!) and not tournaments, and my opponents regularly field armies 1 or 2 pts over.

I will be facing armies from the following: TK/HE/Empire/VC/WE/DE/OnG

Anyway, the list:

Lords:

Sorcerer Lord (385pts)
Level 4, MoT, Disc of Tzeentch, Enchanted Shield, Golden Eye of Tzeentch, Spell Familiar, Bloodcurdling Roar.

Heroes:

Chaos Sorcerer (206pts)
Barded Chaos Steed, Level 2, MoT, Infernal Puppet, Talisman of Protection.

Chaos Sorcerer (206pts)
Barded Chaos Steed, Level 2, MoN, Dispel Scroll x 2

Core:

Warhounds of Chaos x 5 (30pts)

Marauder Horsemen x 5 (106pts)
Flail, Throwing axes, Light Armour, MoS, Musician

Special:

Chaos Knights x 5 (275pts)
MoS, Standard, Musician, Banner of Rage.

Chaos Knights x 5 (260pts)
MoS, Standard, Musician, Rapturous Standard.

Chaos Knights x 5 (280pts)
MoS, Standard, Musician, Blasted Standard.

Dragon Ogres x 3 (231pts)
Great weapons.

Total 2251pts
C&C Appreciated.

·
All Cav WoC General
693 Posts
everything looks good, just drop a unit of dogs, they'll clutter your lines.

and maybe drop a unit of knights for a BSB on a disc with banner of the gods.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Changed the list slightly to make better use of the Marks with the Knights:

Lord:

Sorcerer Lord = 390pts
Level 4, MoTzeentch, Disc of Tzeentch, Enchanted Shield, Biting Blade, Golden Eye of Tzeentch, Spell Familiar, Bloodcurdling Roar.

Heroes:

Chaos Sorcerer = 206pts
Barded Chaos Steed, Level 2, MoTzeentch, Infernal Puppet, Talisman of Protection.

Chaos Sorcerer = 206pts
Barded Chaos Steed, Level 2, MoNurgle, Dispel Scroll x2.

Core:

Warhounds of Chaos x5 = 30pts

Warhounds of Chaos x5 = 30pts

Marauder Horsemen x5 = 96pts
Flail, lt armour, MoSlaanesh, Musician

Special:

Chaos Knights x5 = 295pts
Mark of Nurgle, Standard, Musician, Banner of Rage

Chaos Knights x5 = 280pts
Mark of Nurgle, Standard, Musician, Rapturous Standard

Chaos Knights x5 = 290pts
Mark of Tzeentch, Standard, Musician, Blasted Standard

Dragon Ogres x3 = 231pts
Great weapon

Total 2246pts
I know this is boring for you guys as everyone seems to be running all cav lists but is this any better than before?

·
Schemer
481 Posts
The list is great. Much better than the one with MoS. A small suggestions thought, Rapturous standard works well only in paper. In a critical situation, it seems to stop working... for me anyway. I suggest using WarBanner instead.

·
All Cav WoC General
693 Posts
to be honest, i've found this to be true as well. The warbanner always gives you +1, where as the Rapturous is random.

·
Champion of Chaos
2,415 Posts
Liars! Its the best 20 points banner in the game. Heck it beats most banners that cost 3x that. It becomes reliable if you have a BSB. If you need snake eyes to hold, but you have a BSB and the banner you hold like 75% of the time. That's just wrong. Knights are too expensive to let them get run down, specially when its so cheap to help them not get run down.

Don't get me wrong, I like the war banner too, but sometimes poop hits the fan and you just need to pray to the chaos gods to not let your knights get destroyed.

·
All Cav WoC General
693 Posts
Liars! Its the best 20 points banner in the game. Heck it beats most banners that cost 3x that. It becomes reliable if you have a BSB. If you need snake eyes to hold, but you have a BSB and the banner you hold like 75% of the time. That's just wrong. Knights are too expensive to let them get run down, specially when its so cheap to help them not get run down.

Don't get me wrong, I like the war banner too, but sometimes poop hits the fan and you just need to pray to the chaos gods to not let your knights get destroyed.
rapturous is ONLY reliable with a bsb, and yes, then it's borderline broken. But normally, the warbanner always gives you it's bonus, the rapturous doesn't.

·
Champion of Chaos
2,415 Posts
Even without the BSB its nice to have. Turns a 2.5% chance to hold to a 45% chance. All for a very little cost. And if you're losing combat with your knights, something went wrong to start with.

·
367 Posts
The Rapturous standard is only better than the warbanner if you loose combat by 2 or more.
As such i find it a defeatist standard, i personally never plan on loosing a combat and never will.

A Warbanner:
* Can turn a loss into a draw
* Can turn a draw into a win
* On a win you lower the break test by an extra 1 for a greater chance that the opposition will break.
* Even on a loss it raises your break test by 1 for a lower chance of failing (not as good as the rapturous standard i admit)
* So the only time it is not doing anything for you is when you are not in combat which is the same as the Rapturous Standard and only costs an extra 5 points.

What does the Rapturous Standard do if you draw or win?
Planning to fail is beyond me......

·
Champion of Chaos
2,415 Posts
Some armies, like my Demon Prince army, use knights as a backup anvil if I need them. Usually because of my dragon ogres being preoccupied. I don't plan on needing snake eyes with the knights, but I am less hesitant to throw them into a losing situation where they have a very good chance of holding and maybe after 2-3 rounds of combat to have killed enough models to start to win. War Banner to me is for knights you want in a winning combat.

There are in-numerous reasons why you would want to throw these knights into a losing situation to better your chances are winning the game.

·
Schemer
481 Posts
Logic imposes the warbanner simply because your knight are a hammer type unit. You usually want to charge and break the unit; i.e. the warbanner helps to achieve this goal. Now if someone want to use their knight as an "anvil" unit, well yeah the rapturous standard is the way to go. In Anathema it's not a bad thing since he needs such a thing but like it was mentioned, the banner works better with a battle standard banner. In an all cavalry list, knights with rapturous std is probably one of the few options that can keep up with the rest (an other one being the famous Dragon Ogres + Banner of the Gods combo).

·
367 Posts
o dear, well i guess we will have to agree to disagree.

To me if you have to put a unit or item into a list to help you if things go wrong then there is something fundamentally wrong with the list design in the first place.

Your army should be able to compensate as it is via its own redundancy in its design and your tactics. Yes there is a good chance something will go wrong during a game as it uses random number generators and you are playing another human being who wants to beat you. Putting in a item because you expect things to go wrong to me says there is much more wrong with the list than 20 points is going to fix by itself.

·
All Cav WoC General
693 Posts
well it is a game of dice, so sometimes you do need to plan for that to happen.

·
Champion of Chaos
2,415 Posts
What's that quote? Best laid plans are only good until the first bullet is fired.

What's the other quote? Plan for the worst and you'll only ever be happily surprised.

·
367 Posts
How about

“I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” ~ Robert Frost

or

"I understand u have a plan, but you lose from the beginning if you don't stay focus on your mission, its Winsday, start working on a win." ~ James Authentic

anyone can find a quote to suit their purpose :p

Irish Proverb:
He who loses money, loses much;
He who loses a friend, loses more;
He who loses faith, loses all.

To finish off maybe some eastern philosophy is more your style
Chinese Proverb: When we lose, don't lose the lesson.

·
Champion of Chaos
2,415 Posts
But yours don't make any sense. :p

Anyways, its always good to have a backup plan for when things for wrong. A war-banner isn't going to help against being flanked.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts