Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm new to Lizardmen but definitely not warhammer. I've been playing Orcs and Goblins for a few years now and thought it was time to move to a more competative army. My local game shop is a competative enviornment so I'd like to make a killer list, but not super cheese because if my opponent isn't having fun then neither am I. That being said here is my 2250 list:

Lord:

Slann: 410
(BSB, Focus of Mystery, Focused Rumination, Cupped hands of the old ones, Bane head)

Heroes:

Skink Priest: 405
(Lvl 2, EOTG, Plaque of Topek)

Skink Priest: 415
(Lvl 2, EOTG, Dispel Scroll)

Saurus Scar-Vet: 124
(LA, Shield, GW, Jaguar Charm)

Core:

x18 Saurus Warriors: 222
(Spears, Musician)

x10 Skink Skirmishers: 70

Special:

x16 Temple Guard: 291
(Full command)

x3 Terradon riders: 90

Rare:

x1 Salamander: 80
(extra handler)

I haven't had a chance to try it out, but I feel that it could do very well.

Opinions and critisism welcome!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Very good list, very similar to the ones I run. You will be competative against pretty much any army with this. People may complain about having 3 lord level casters though...
Only change i'd make it to swap out a unit of skinks for another salamander, their ability to eat through heavily armoured troops and cause panic tests is hard to beat.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback! Ya the 3 lord level casters may get me a few complaints but the way I see it, 2 of these wizards are using a (what I think at least) sub par lore (heavens).

If I did take out a skink unit for another slamander, would you recommend running them as a unit fo 2 or as 2 units of 1? And if it is better for separate units, are the exra handlers worth the small point upgrade because if so I would need to find an extra 10 points to get that for my second sallie.

Thanks again and keep the advise comming!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Yeah, heavens is a bit of a mixed bag, you should get a couple of the lightning spells between them though and they are very useful. As for salamanders, i've never been one to buy the extra handler, so I reckon you'll be fine without them, particularly if you run them in a pair. You could always drop the unecessary champion from the temple guard unit to get the extra handlers if you really want them. I think a unit of two would be preferable to two units of one. It gives them far more reliability to get their job done an I reckon its better to achieve one objective properly than do a half job on two.

Looking at the list, what might make it more scary and give you more options is to swap out one of the engines for a normal stegadon and a unit of 5 saurus cavalry. But it would need trying out.

·
4,361 Posts
Looks like a nice list. But as was mentioned, 2 engines could be frowned upon. It isn't the lore of heavens that people look at. Its the 2 burning alignments a turn that will get you sideways glances. But if your group is really competitive, then go for it.

For the sallies, I recommend 2 separate units with extra handlers. Rather have two chances for panicking different units than just one. And you can use a unit as a bait unit without giving away too many points. Extra handlers are really necessary if you are running them separately, if in a unit of 2, none are required.

Good luck,
SirKently

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been looking at a few other lizardmen lists and I have seen a mixed bag as far as command for units goes. I'm perfectly happy only having musician on my warriors but with the temple guard, are champions frequently used? I ask this because it is the only thing I can find in this list that is easily dropped to make points for the salamander with extra crew.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been getting a lot of sideways glances when I tell people that I plan to run a 2250 list with 2 EOTG so I got to thinking and I may have come up with an alternative. I really like the concept of big creatures so I definitely want 2 stegadons in my army, but what if I took one of the engines out and replaced it with a skink chief on an ancient stegadon with the war spear? I feel that this could still be good without having people complain about a "cheesy" list. My only concern is that without that 3rd caster, I am down 2 dispel dice and a good caster so it hurts me on both offence and defence. Would my magic still be good enough with only 2 casters?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yea I get Flack for my 1 EOTG 1 Slann list, 2 EOTGS is definatly considered OTT in my area. It's not just the 2 level 3s its the double burning alighinments, the twin terror causers and two T6 monsters.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So after facing a lizardmen player with my orcs, I saw how vicious my list would truely be. I faced an army with a slann, one EOTG, and one ancient steg and it was a pretty rough list so I am definitely going to drop one engine and replace it with a skink cheif on an ancient with the warspear. Like I said befire, I like to make competative lists but also like for my oponent to have fun and I see now that they would not have fun vs 2 engines.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So like I said before, I have realized the cheese factor in my first list and now want to see what I can do to soften it slightly but still bring the pain. I have narrowed it down to two different lists:

Lord:

Slann: 410
(BSB, Focus of Mystery, Focused Rumination, Cupped hands of the old ones, Bane head)

Heroes:

Skink Priest: 435
(Lvl 2, EOTG, Plaque of Topek, War drums)

Skink Priest: 150
(Lvl 2, x1 dispel scroll, cloak of feathers)

Saurus Scar-Vet: 124
(LA, Shield, GW, Jaguar Charm)

Core:

x18 Saurus Warriors: 218
(Spears, Musician)

Special:

x16 Temple Guard: 295
(Standard bearer, warbanner)

x4 Terradon riders: 120

Rare:

(extra handler)

x1 Ancient Stegadon: 275

For this list, I basically just dismounted the priest from the steg and put it back in as a regular ancient. This list gives me a very powerful magic phase and the flexibility to cast through a flying skink could be fun.

List #2:

Lord:

Slann: 435
(BSB, Focus of Mystery, Focused Rumination, Cupped hands of the old ones, Bane head, x1 dispel scroll)

Heroes:

Skink Priest: 435
(Lvl 2, EOTG, Plaque of Topek, War drums)

Skink Chief: 380
(Ancient Stegadon, Warspear)

Saurus Scar-Vet: 121
(LA, GW, Jaguar Charm)

Core:

x18 Saurus Warriors: 218
(Spears)

Special:

x16 Temple Guard: 270
(Standard)

x3 Terradon riders: 90

Rare:

(extra handler)

(extra handler)

This list is more about versatility than magic. I only have 2 casters, but I gained an impact hitting monster with the skink chief. I also gained an extra salamander for flaming goodness. I had to either cut the warbanner off teh guard or the war drums from the priest and I chose the warbanner, is this the right choice?

So overall, which list do you guys think is better. And again, comments and critisism on both lists is very welcome!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Personally i would run with list one with a few modifications.
- Drop a terradon
- Drop the standard bearer from the temple gaurd
- Add in another salamander, whether a unit of 2 or 2 units of 1 with extra handlers

this is just my personal preference, but i hope it helps.

Chickenout!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.