Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!

I'm soon playing in a tournament that is going to include alot of armies fielding dragons, steamtanks and semilar nasties. Now I've personally only ever played friendly games, and this is my first tournament ever. But I don't feel like jumping on the wagon, changing my list from a balanced troop heavy list that I like to play, into a small competitive army with a dragon mounted lord of doom and a few support units. I simply think the points we play are too small for that sort of lords (2250pts.).

But since I expect to meet quite a few of these bad guys, I seek advice from you lot on how to tackle them with a troop based Chaos army?

I personally think my knigths are my best shot at pounding steam tanks, dragons etc. Perhaps the Ogres if I get the charge. Another option would be to "Steed of Shadows" my Ex. Ch. into combat with the dragon, but I think he would have bad odds against most beefed up lords on a dragon.. :( My last hope would be to kill the rider or dragon with a pit of shades.. But I wouldn't get my hopes up to high.

But please let me know what you think.. Is my list viable against a list based arround a power house of a lord, or are there something I really shouldn't leave home without? ;)

Thanks in advance!

Regards.

Characters:

Exalted Champion of Chaos (152 pts.)
Sword of Might, Gaze of the Gods, Chaos Armour and Shield

Sorcerer (lvl 2) (170 pts.)
Power Familiar

Sorcerer of Chaos (lvl 2) (170 pts.)
2x Dispel Scrolls

Bray-Shaman (lvl 2) (151 pts.)
Bray Staff, The Goretooth and Chaos Armour

Core:

6 Chosen Knights of Slaanesh (370 pts.)
Standard and Musician
Rapturous Standard

11 Chosen Warriors of Chaos (249 pts.)

Champion and Musician

Chaos Armour Armour and Shields

23 Marauders of Chaos (186 pts.)
Full Command Group
Light Armour and Shields

5 Marauder Horsemen (81 pts.)
Musician
Flails

Chariot of Chaos (pts.)

Chariot of Chaos (pts.)

5 Warhounds of Chaos (pts.)

5 Warhounds of Chaos (pts.)

Special:

4 Chaos Ogres (186 pts.)
Musician
Great Weapon and Heavy Armour

Beast Herd (105 pts.)
Champion and Musician
7 Gors with Additional Handweapon
14 Ungors with Spears

6 Chaos Furies (pts.)

Total: 2210

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Grr... in short, wrote long post, laptop crashed, Pho not happy :(
Ill fill this bit out again tomorrow when i have time.

Basically in short, go Uber lord w/ Chosen Knights, bulk Warriors (loose Chosen) to 14, w/ Sorc in there and magic missile banner. Loose Ogres for Minoturs, and get in 2 Spawns.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Pho ;)

Thanks for your reply! I got a few questions though..

Wouldn't putting a power lord with the knights give me a less powerful, less mobile and more prone to be shot to pieces unit, then a lord on a dragon provides? Yet I'd be paying almost semilar point costs..
But let me know if you have good experiences with this sort of unit.. I've never tried it because because of the above, and it seemed like putting all the eggs in one basket
I'd also think the Ex. Ch. with the marauders gives me a powerful anvil unit against enemy elites and shock troops.

Why lose the chosen status from my warriors?

How would spawns help me against dragons? I even think a steam tank would grind them down in a single round of HtH.. So please explain. ;)

You prob. had your point of views explained in your long post, but I couldn't help myself from asking this in hope of your including your answers when you post again.. :D

Regards!

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Lol, yeah no problem, im happy to go through stuff.

Problem with a Dragon is that it takes a Hero slot, and is also really expensive, meaning your magic will be only average with just 2 casters and your army pretty small.

A Lordin a Chosen Knight units is one hell of a powerhourse, and pretty fast too so the enemy rarely should have shooting time against them, and they tear up once in combat.

Small units or Warriors are good, but i just think the lord will be better wth the Knights, and also keeping the warriors in the same role, but as they will generally slower to reach combat, the magic banner would be better there. As for Chosen on them, i just dont think its that worth while on warriors tbh.

Spawun, unbreakable just makes them pretty useful all round really, good for protecting flanks etc. Just someting to consider really.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi again!

Thanks for pointing those out.

I would've placed the footslogging general with the marauders though, not the warriors. But I reckon they still pack enough static CCR to hold their own against most, while I have several shocktroop option I can support them with for some keels! ;)

I think I'm going to remove the marauder horsemen to free some points for putting a lord with the knights. I should still have enough screeners..

And with the change to my warrior unit, I should have points enough to squeeze in 1-2 spawns..

Thanks for your help.. Always neat with a seckond opinion on your work. :)

Added:

I just wondered if you had any tips on how to deal with a dragon list with this army? Just pound the rest of his army as fast as possible? Or focus a lot on forcing him to fight the stronger elements of my army (those that might stand a chance - knights and minis)?

I actually think the sizes of our armies will be fairly equal (besides on less hero slot). Since my lord rides with the knights, and they cost the same amount of points as a dragon?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just thought I'd post the list with the suggested changes. I had to take into account the point limit aswell as what models I have already painted.. But here goes:

Characters:

Chaos Lord (MoS) (347 pts.)
Blade of Blood, Armour of Damnation, Pendant of Slaanesh, Shield
Barded Chaos Steed

Sorcerer (lvl 2) (170)
Power Familiar

Sorcerer of Chaos (lvl 2) (170 pts.)
2x Dispel Scrolls

Bray-Shaman (lvl 2) (151)
Bray Staff, The Goretooth and Chaos Armour

Core:

5 Chosen Knights of Slaanesh (325 pts.)
Standard and Musician
Rapturous Standard

11 Warriors of Chaos (183)
Champion and Musician
Heavy Armour and Shields

24 Marauders of Chaos (193 pts.)
Full Command Group
Light Armour and Shields

Chariot of Chaos ( pts.)

5 Warhounds of Chaos ( pts.)

5 Warhounds of Chaos ( pts.)

Special:

Beast Herd (101 pts.)
Champion and Musician
7 Gors with Additional Handweapon
13 Ungors with Spears

Tuskgor Chariot ( pts.)

4 Minotaurs (184 pts.)
Great Weapon

6 Chaos Furies ( pts.)

Rare:

Fiend of Slaanesh (75 pts.)

Total: 2250

Things I'd like to have included was a MoS on at least on of my sorcerers, another spawn, and my unit of marauder horsemen.. But I really don't know what I should scrap from the list without losing something important in the army..

Regards! ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts