Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started playing warhammer with my high elves. I put them away in summer of last year anticipating a new book that didn't surface til Nov 07. Since then I had sold quite a bit of my core units and bought new models. I've been patiently painting and gluing and basing my army back together and I think I'm getting close to getting them play-worthy. Here is the list I am thinking about using my first time out the of gate in about 8 months with HE (and definately first time under the new rules) A lot of the selections here have to be there, because these are the models I have built at the moment. I do have 18 swordmasters that I used last edition, but will gradually interchange them with various other models. I'm open to suggestions of any kind. I make lists that are balanced and fun to play because I don't really go to GT's and only play in the local tournies and with friends on our club night at the gaming store.

Prince barded steed, hvy armor, shield, sword of might, radiant gem of hoeth, jewel of dusk, helm of fortune
Noble BSB Armor of caledor, guardian phoenix, grt wpn
Mage lvl2 seer staff, scroll
Mage lvl2 ring of fury

19x spearmen Musician, banner
10x archers
5x reavers Musician
6x dragon princes warbanner, musician
16x Phoenix Guard Banner of Sorcery, full command
7x white lions Musician, champion
Grt Eagle
3x RBT

I plan on playing (for the most part) a weak flank/strong flank strategy. The middle is made up of RBT's, spearmen and PG. Dragon princes, WL, Reavers take a flank and decimate whatever comes their way opening up that flank of the enemy. The eagle march blocks, roots out fanatics, harasses units and holds up warmachines as needed. The archers either swap places with the spearmen at deployment or set up on the flank shooting fast cav and such luring the enemy their way, until the PG can ambush them or the spearmen hold them up. Or they can all move to the suppressed flank behind the DP, WL and Reavers if needed and let the RBT's finish them. One mage will join the PG and one in the spearmen. The Prince will either join the DP or the spearmen as needed or can be launched out to kill enemy mages, tackle chariots, kill ethereals, etc. BSB will most likely join the PG making it a hard to break unit.

·
Registered
278 Posts
This looks like a good varied and balanced list I like the idea of the prince as a mage supported by two level two's and have tried it out in a couple of battles its very effective and gets round the perenial problem of where to hide your archmage. I am i admit biased towards WL but i think that the combination of WL DP and ER will be a devastating flanking group and you have a realy good solid core with the SE and PG. And you certainly have the fire power with 3 RBT to force the enemy to come to you. I also agree that the BsB with the PG are a difficult unit to shift and he also provides some protection for you mage. I woudn't get rid of your SM, in larger groups ( 18+) supported by sufficient magic they can get to the enemy and cause havoc, I just think they are better suited to larger battles or freindly's where you know ther will be liitle missile fire. I think this list will play very well and i think you have covered all the bases have fun and good luck.

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This looks like a good varied and balanced list I like the idea of the prince as a mage supported by two level two's and have tried it out in a couple of battles its very effective and gets round the perenial problem of where to hide your archmage. I am i admit biased towards WL but i think that the combination of WL DP and ER will be a devastating flanking group and you have a realy good solid core with the SE and PG. And you certainly have the fire power with 3 RBT to force the enemy to come to you. I also agree that the BsB with the PG are an incredibly difficult unit to shift and he also provides some protection for you mage. I woudn't get rid of your SM, in larger groups ( 18+) supported by sufficient magic they can get to the enemy and cause havoc, I just think they are better suited to larger battles or freindly's where you know ther will be liitle missile fire. I think this list will play very well and i think you have covered all the bases have fun and good luck.
I've just started getting the urge to play them. For some reason I didn't want to play them when they first came out. I gave the idea of the Prince/mage to my friend and watched him really beat me over the head with it several games (closest I got was a 200-300pt loss with my WE). The High magic support spells (fury of khaine, shield of saphery, stubborn spell and drain magic are really good) But I've been painting them and putting them together, all with magnetized bases and flocking, so they are looking really good. It's the first time I've had a near finished army and I think that's what's getting me excited (Custom Reavers, 85-90% painted and based at this point. I just need to finish painting shields and getting the decals on and then repaint my dragon princes)

At some point, I would like to get 2 big spearmen units and go all infantry if possible. Maybe I'll bring out the swordmasters then.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Actually one other advantage of being able to cast SoS three times per turn means that with this list SM are a vaible option especially if they are taken in sufficient numbers (17+). I realy like this prince + 2 LvL2 combination and will try to work it into my tournament army list. I have used it 5 times now (giving credit to its originator of course) and it is lethal, I am even considering using SM again myself with this and sacred incense. However for the moment i will stick with my WL's as they need least support untill I have a little more experience with this combo. Congrats for a damm good idea and a very effective list.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.