Bolt Thrower 85 pts:
Engineer
RoPenetrating

Bolt Thrower 90 pts:
Engineer
RoPenetrating,RoBurning

Rare Units

2 Organ Gun 240 pts:

any comments or questions welcome, I'm especially interested in your thoughts considering character choice and army deployment.. tell me what you think =)

·
Blistering Barnacles!
895 Posts
Characters section need a serious rethinking, unless this list is really friendly:
  1. Runelords are not worth it unless you're taking an Anvil
  2. The BSB is far too expensive and thus, very vulnerable.
  3. Slayer will get shot in turn one if he isn't in a unit...
  4. You'll probably want a lord to lead this list, to match opponent's lords, a thane just isn't going to cut it.

Thunderers don't really need a command, the points are better spent on getting one or two extra guns. Don't buy a champion, and doubly not if you're giving him a handgun!

Ironbreakers are good, I would say Hammerers are better, even without a Lord but Ironbreakers are fine if it's preference.

Otherwise good, and if you're really friendly don't take 2 organ guns ;)

Hex

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
to just warn you, I know this is a bit of an unusual choice, but I like experimenting, and I believe I have some strong arguments for my pointsinks.

the Runelord is just a replacement of two Runesmiths, and an excellent unitleader. With my build it gives excellent magic defence, considering using only 1 character slot on it.

As for the Lord I really don't think he's worth it if he's not with his shieldbearers, you see, he can't have an oathstone then. While the Thane can do the role of anchoring a wulnerable flank for about half the price, I mean who wouldn't simply want to ignore a strong block of Hammerers with a Lord. The Ironbreakers with RoBattle and RoStoicism and the Thane still got a lot punch and threat and isn't such a point sink. Considering their role in the army, they'll do their job.

as for the slayer character he's there for both warmachine guarding and a lot of fun, I mean he can do a lot of damage for 50 points as long as he's safely out of sight before the inevitable close combat.

BSB, as for this guy, he's a bit risky I agree, but he does a lot to both my dispell and close combat, but he's not especially bad protected with the Longbeards. And well with the static resolution of 6 in his Longbeard unit they'll hopefully do their job in holding the center of the line. With protected flanks, there has to be a massive force to break through that unit.

Thunderers I agree, don't go well with a champion, that's why I only brought a musician... I 'm going to line up the Thunderers up in front of my line keeping the BSB out of sight and ready to flee behind the line if they get charged by something I don't think their stand and shoot can handle. With the Lonbeards giving Panicrerolls to the warriors and Ironbreakers. (Got this from the dwarf tricks thread =D )

·
Blistering Barnacles!
895 Posts
Don't post army list if you don't want critique! I understand your explanation, but I still think that your character section needs serious rewiring for the above reasons - oathstones are overrated and can LOSE you the game if played wrong, you shouldn't really be opening flanks in the first place.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did not say that you were wrong about anything, I just wanted to tell you why I had made those choices, and as I don't have ALOT of gaming experience, I was simply hoping to shed some light from my view. So OK an oathstone isn't a good choice? please explain =) in my opinion it's a good way to secure the end of the battle line while my Organ guns will hopefully be taking care of the other flank. Again I don't have a lot of gaming experience so I don't know if my strategies will only work in my head.

I meant no disrespect, I know that you probably have your reasons. And well I agree on your Hammerers comment, I agree that they're better, perhaps not at holding an Oathstone though ,was my thought, as they're not led by a Lord either.

one more question would be if you had the time, to show me how I would want to deploy my army with this army changing the characters to Lord on shieldbearers in 18 Hammerers instead of ironbreakers, BSB, Runesmith, Runesmith =) thanks for your help

·
Registered
404 Posts
If you want my opinion, I would say, give it a try. You could probably get a lot of different kinds of advice in here. How other players deploy their units, what units they take etc, but the only real experience comes from actual gaming. Get some battles under the belt and find out what works for you.
Some people tend to use the Ironbreakers on the flank, to make the enemy go a different way. Some place them dead center, which gives them a few more options.
But I like to think that every item/unit/character is usefull, if brought into play, the way they were intended to. Its the same as, its not the army, its the General.

But all in all, give it a go, and see what happens :soldier:

Happy hunting

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies =)

I was thinking of using the IB's at the flank aswell, filling the center with Longbeards instead and my Runelord protected by Warriors and the Organ Guns at the other flank. But I see a lot of weaknesses VS Etherals, Flyers and Tombscorpion / other digger units. And well I find myself in need of some advice to how to deal with these, as all I have is a single, suicidal redhead as hunterdefence. And I don't see it as a good idea to buy an expensive weapon to (as noted above) such a vulnerable hero.

I know every army has a weakness kinda, but I think mine is all too obvious, as theres not much I can do against units that will either be immune to artillery fire or charge from out of sight.

just wanted to ask how other people deal with these problems,

·
Registered
404 Posts
Against flyers and other war machine hunters, that is were the Organ gun really show its effectiveness. Being able to re-roll a somewhat poor shoot, like 2's, is so unique...And you can use it pretty much elsewhere. If you have a unit of Ironbreakers on one side and an organ gun (you could, though, also invest in a slayer unit(problem with slayer hero solved), to hold the other flank), you, more or less, force your opponent to strike in the center of your army. Which is what you want. And with a BT on one or both sides, you'll be able to get a few good flank shoots.
About the slayer, well...I dont think he'll be as vulnerable as you think. Are you worried about magic attacks against him? From what I can see, you have a fairly decent magic defense. And I doubt your opponent will spend his entire power pool, on a single slayer.
On the other hand, he might work well as a naked slayer, since hes got the slayer axes. So if you DO lose him, it wont be that big of a set-back.

If you want to secure your flanks in a different manner, you can also use the table edges. Just make sure your units dont stand too close to each other.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well yea my thought exact, I think the Dragonslayer is too much a risk to spend a lot of points on, but for 50 points he's more than worth it. I hear you against the flyers and fast cav, I'm more concerned when it comes to Etherals as one of my main opponents probably will be VC. I still want to have a balanced list though, as I'm playing both WoC, HE and Bretonnians aswell. I was thinking of using an anvil and try to take them out with the rune of wrath and ruin. as it's probably the most effective weapon vs Etherals in the dwarven arsenal. But as i'm not a particular fan of the Anvil, I was hoping for some other smart tricks to take them out, without turning my army into an antiVC list.

thanks for replies Honorable Kingsguard of Karak Hirn

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.