Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Rules Attorney
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a list for the new 7th edition book. Attempting to make a relative all-comers list, but also want to keep a relatively heavy Pestilens theme.

Lord
Warlord (see EDIT below)

Heroes
Lvl 2 Plague Priest on Furnace with Censer, 2 Dispel Scrolls
BSB with Foul Pendant, Shield of Distraction

Core
20 Slaves
20 Slaves
20 Slaves

Special
24 Plague Monks, Full Command, Dripping Death Banner
Warlord in this unit (takes up 4 squares)
8 Plague Censer Bearers
27 Plague Monks, Full Command, Storm Banner
BSB in this unit (takes up 1 square)
8 Plague Censer Bearers

Rare
Abomination with Magic Shards
Plagueclaw Catapult

Let Storm take care of shooting/flying, MR + 4 scrolls take care of magic and let slaves take care of flankers. Hope for Wither and Perma Poison spells, maybe keep Plague spell if I roll it and am feeling frisky. Monks are a 7 front (7 front small bases will all be in combat, even with 5 front small base enemies). The BSB will be in one of the Plague Monk units, on the outside so as to avoid base contact with the Priest/Furnace, and on the opposite side of the Censer Bearer flank squad so as to avoid base contact with them.

Currently 2019 points, without a Lord.

Full up on Rares and Specials, and I can't find a core that I really like with the list, or can find a serious use for. Also, still need a Lord, wondering if I should shave some Plague Monks to make room for a Plague Lore Gray Seer maybe, or possibly a pimped-out Warlord positioned similarly to the BSB in the other monk block. Let me know what you think.

Also, anyone have any better item combos for Plague Priests? Even at T5 with rank and file falling dying in droves before combat starts, they still seem soft. Maybe I'm just used to Chaos.

EDIT: After much thought, I'm thinking to add a Warlord on a War Litter to the non-BSB monk group (with the 7 front i can still keep him removed from the furnace). Give him WAW with a tail weapon, and Skalm with Enchanted Shield. 2+ armor save with healing capability in a pinch. 5 Str 5 attacks and 1 Str 3 attack. Get perma poison on his unit first thing to buff him even more (scavenge-pile poison is apparently not good enough for magic weapons).

With this lord, cut three monks, add 2 censer bearers, (changes reflected above) and I'm at 2248. Thoughts?

Alternate list: 2 Doomwheels with 2 21x Slave babysitters replace current Rares, toss in a 25th monk into the Warlord block, 2249. Thoughts?

·
Registered
399 Posts
I don't have the 7th edition book yet, so I'll comment from memory of what I've read.

This is a list for the new 7th edition book. Attempting to make a relative all-comers list, but also want to keep a relatively heavy Pestilens theme.

Lord
Warlord (see EDIT below)
Comments below.

Heroes
BSB with Foul Pendant, Shield of Distraction
Can you have 2 Plague Furnaces? If so, the BSB really isn't doing anything for this list since everybody's unbreakable. I would drop him for another Priest to boost your magic phase and be able to cast Wither more.

Core
20 Slaves
20 Slaves
20 Slaves
Good. You can never have too many slaves... :)

Special
24 Plague Monks, Full Command, Dripping Death Banner
Warlord in this unit (takes up 4 squares)
Fine.

8 Plague Censer Bearers
Fine.

27 Plague Monks, Full Command, Storm Banner
BSB in this unit (takes up 1 square)
Fine.

8 Plague Censer Bearers
Fine.

I would prefer to drop one unit of Censers for some Gutter Runners. Right now you really don't have anything to take out Warmachines with (using your claw catapult for this would be a waste). If you poisoned their hand weapons it would keep with the theme...

Rare
Abomination with Magic Shards
It's deadly when it reaches combat, though it's average charge is 9 - 12 inches, and I would try and be around 7 to make sure he reaches combat.

Plagueclaw Catapult
Awesome.

Let Storm take care of shooting/flying, MR + 4 scrolls take care of magic and let slaves take care of flankers. Hope for Wither and Perma Poison spells, maybe keep Plague spell if I roll it and am feeling frisky. Monks are a 7 front (7 front small bases will all be in combat, even with 5 front small base enemies). The BSB will be in one of the Plague Monk units, on the outside so as to avoid base contact with the Priest/Furnace, and on the opposite side of the Censer Bearer flank squad so as to avoid base contact with them.

Currently 2019 points, without a Lord.

Full up on Rares and Specials, and I can't find a core that I really like with the list, or can find a serious use for. Also, still need a Lord, wondering if I should shave some Plague Monks to make room for a Plague Lore Gray Seer maybe, or possibly a pimped-out Warlord positioned similarly to the BSB in the other monk block. Let me know what you think.

Also, anyone have any better item combos for Plague Priests? Even at T5 with rank and file falling dying in droves before combat starts, they still seem soft. Maybe I'm just used to Chaos.

They are very soft, which is going to be the biggest problem with your list. Nothing has an armor save, but the tradeoff is unbreakable. You mentioned not finding anything useful in the Core Section to take, but don't underestimate the usefulness of clanrats.

EDIT: After much thought, I'm thinking to add a Warlord on a War Litter to the non-BSB monk group (with the 7 front i can still keep him removed from the furnace). Give him WAW with a tail weapon, and Skalm with Enchanted Shield. 2+ armor save with healing capability in a pinch. 5 Str 5 attacks and 1 Str 3 attack. Get perma poison on his unit first thing to buff him even more (scavenge-pile poison is apparently not good enough for magic weapons).
Seems like an ok setup. The Bonebreaker Rat Ogre will give you more wounds to help even out combat res though.

With this lord, cut three monks, add 2 censer bearers, (changes reflected above) and I'm at 2248. Thoughts?

Alternate list: 2 Doomwheels with 2 21x Slave babysitters replace current Rares, toss in a 25th monk into the Warlord block, 2249. Thoughts?

Maybe replace the Abomination with a Doomwheel. Keep the Catapult.
All in all, you're pretty light on reliable troops. I'd maybe think about tweaking some points for 2 x 25 Clanrats w/ Shield & Full Command. They're not too expensive.

·
Rules Attorney
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Can you have 2 Plague Furnaces? If so, the BSB really isn't doing anything for this list since everybody's unbreakable. I would drop him for another Priest to boost your magic phase and be able to cast Wither more.
You definitely can have as many Furnaces as you like. Very good call, didn't even think about how pointless the BSB would be. Another priest would be good, probably on a Rat mount.

I would prefer to drop one unit of Censers for some Gutter Runners. Right now you really don't have anything to take out Warmachines with (using your claw catapult for this would be a waste). If you poisoned their hand weapons it would keep with the theme...
This I will seriously consider. Although I was going to rely on Storm Banner to deal with at least one round of shooting, it is a bit unreliable beyond that. Removing the Censers removes a lot of punch from one unit, but if I add a priest into the unit without the Censers, that should compensate somewhat.

Seems like an ok setup. The Bonebreaker Rat Ogre will give you more wounds to help even out combat res though.
You can't put a Bonebreaker in monks unfortunately. That's a small point, without owning the book I can understand how you'd miss that. Bonebreaker can only be in Stormvermin/Clanrats/Rat Ogres. If I add in some Clans I'll consider that option.

Maybe replace the Abomination with a Doomwheel. Keep the Catapult.
Agreed, especially since Doomwheels are cheaper.

Updated list: 2249 Points

Lord
Warlord on War Litter
Warlock Augmented Weapon, Skalm, Enchanted Shield

Heroes
Lvl 2 Plague Priest with Censer on Pox Rat, Warp Scroll

Core
20 Slaves
20 Slaves
20 Slaves
2 Rat Swarms

Special
23 Plague Monks, Full Command, Dripping Death Banner
8 Plague Censer Bearers
23 Plague Monks, Full Command, Storm Banner
9 Gutter Runners, Champ upgrade

Each Monk group has a Furnace, Warlord in one, Pox Rat Priest in other

Rare
Doomwheel
Plagueclaw Catapult

Didn't have enough points for some Clanrats, probably for the better... I have a lot of large blocks running around already, maneuvering would get ugly with an extra infantry block.

Replaced one Censer group with Gutter Runners for field versatility (not enough points to poison their weapons and keep with the theme :freaked-out: man poison is pricey for them). Replaced pointless BSB with another Priest for more magic/punching. Replaced Abomination with Doomwheel, and added a Rat Swarm unit to frenzy-block for the monks. This frees up one Slave group to babysit the Doomwheel (aka always be the nearest unit in the first few rounds so they get accidentally shot, as opposed to a monk group).

Storm and Gutters deal with shooting, with plenty of dispel dice and scrolls for magic defense. Combat will always be mine if I keep the flanks clear with the Slaves and Doomwheel. Doomwheel can also monster hunt.

Thanks and rep to spaar for the suggestions. Anyone else want to add 2 cents?

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
I like

I like the fact that you are running a Warlord. It's such a bargain choice. I thought a seer would be a dead cert but now I find myself dithering!

It's a nice list. I'm going to have to have a dig through the book before I can offer any advice though. The only comment I could possible make is that I have expected Skaven blocks to be bigger. Is 25 really sufficient?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.