3x Tree Kin [215]
Tree Kin Elder

3x Warhawk Riders [140]
Wind Rider

5x Wild Riders of Kurnous [166]
Full Command

5x Waywatchers [128]
Shadow Sentinel

I’m new to WHFB, and this list is for a league starting in January. I plan to stick the Army Standard Bearer in the Eternal Guard unit and the Mounted Lord with the Glade Riders. I’m debating if I will take the Wild Riders or some Wardancers instead. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated by this newbie.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Spellsinger [175]
Level 2
2x Dispell Scrolls

Spellsinger [175]
Level 2
2x Dispell Scrolls
No need for the 2nd level with these. You won't be casting much magic in a 2250 league/tournament with those two.

Wood Elf Noble [117]
Army Standard Bearer
Saemrath, Banner of the Zenith
Light Armor
Not a fan of this. Having a bsb in that unit is risky and sort of a waste. Just give the banner to the unit SB.

Wood Elf Noble [93]
Elven Steed
Light Armor
Spear
Shield
If you are intending to put this with the Wild Riders you can't. In with glade riders is sort of a waste of a character as far as I'm concerned.

Core Units

10x Glade Guard [126]
Lord’s Bowman

10x Glade Guard [126]
Lord’s Bowman
units of 10 glade guard are always solid. No need for champ.

6x Glade Guard Scouts [108]
Lord’s Bowman

Lord’s Bowman
not bad for slowing people down. I usually just use an eagle.

12x Dryads [156]
Branch Nymph
I always take units of 8 and without the champ. The extra 1 attack isn't worth the points.

5x Glade Riders [156]
Full Command
units of 5 Glade Riders are always good, but again, could do without the full command, the champ especially. SB sometimes can work.

19x Eternal Guard [258]
Full Command
Ok

Special Units

3x Tree Kin [215]
Tree Kin Elder
limited use for the champion. This is a solid unit though.

3x Warhawk Riders [140]
Wind Rider
No need for champ, again. These are great for disruption.

Full Command
I would give these a war banner as well, and maybe bump up to 6x if you've got the points

5x Waywatchers [128]
Shadow Sentinel
I don't think the champ is worth the points. Would rather just see another model. Also, these are not a Special choice.

Basic structure is good. You'll end up saving a lot of points if you ditch some of those champions. Could probably add another unit. I would recommend some wardancers, say a unit of 6 or 7, or more wild riders. If you do that, and break up the dryads into 2 units of 8, you will greatly increase your ability to deal with more numbers. You've got decent shooting but another unit of glade guard would help if you really want to shoot people up. Remember scouts are not the same as Glade Guard at close range. Check the rulebook =)

Good luck. -Ocidric

·
4,361 Posts
Heroes

Spellsinger [175]
Level 2
2x Dispell Scrolls

Spellsinger [175]
Level 2
2x Dispell Scrolls
Yeah, level 2 won't help much, just go with level 1 and free up some points.
Wood Elf Noble [117]
Army Standard Bearer
Saemrath, Banner of the Zenith
Light Armor
Our banners aren't really that good. They only banner ever worth taking is the warbanner. Get this guy a save also, oaken armour is fairly normal.
Wood Elf Noble [93]
Elven Steed
Light Armor
Spear
Shield
I don't know the purpose of this guy unless it is just to get leadership 9 where you need it.
Core Units

10x Glade Guard [126]
Lord’s Bowman

10x Glade Guard [126]
Lord’s Bowman
Champs are not that great, I never take them in glade guards.
Lord’s Bowman

Lord’s Bowman
Again, no champs are good, and two units of scouts is excessive. Limit yourself to one unit of 5 for march blocking.
12x Dryads [156]
Branch Nymph
You don't have a branchwraith, so the champ isn't necessary. And I like units of 8, though some like 12.
5x Glade Riders [156]
Full Command
Never full command, you are giving away points with the standard bearer or losing it when you flee. Musician only.
19x Eternal Guard [258]
Full Command
These guys are good, and this is where you would want to put the warbanner and the BSB. Put the warbanner on the unit standard and the BSB has just a normal banner.
Special Units

3x Tree Kin [215]
Tree Kin Elder
Elders aren't worth it, and I like these guys 4 wide.
3x Warhawk Riders [140]
Wind Rider
Good, just drop the champ.
Full Command
You want these guys 6 wide, and full command is good here.
5x Waywatchers [128]
Shadow Sentinel
Drop the champ. and with a BSB in the army, it cries out for a treeman as he is stubborn also.
Hope this helps and good luck,
SirKently

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks to both Ocidric and Sirkently. I appreciate your suggestions, and put together this new list with your suggestions in mind.

Heroes

Spellsinger {155}
2x Dispell scrolls
Briarsheath

Wood Elf Noble {140}
Army Standard Bearer
Oaken Armor

Wood Elf Noble {160}
Wild Rider Kindred
Mounted on a Great Stag

10x Glade Guard {120}

10x Glade Guard {120}

6x Glade Guard Scouts {102}

12x Dryads {156}
Branch Nymph

5x Glade Riders {129}
Musician

19x Eternal Guard {228}
Full Command

3x Tree Kin {195}

3x Warhawk Riders {120}

5x Wild Riders of Kurnous {130}
Full Command

6x Waywatchers {144}

1x Treeman {285}

I took out almost all unit Champs, added a waywatcher, traded in a Spellsinger for a Treeman, and Mounted the General on a Stag to go with the wild riders. Any comments or suggestions? I'm hoping to take this list for a test drive this week.

·
4,361 Posts
Thanks to both Ocidric and Sirkently. I appreciate your suggestions, and put together this new list with your suggestions in mind.

Heroes

Spellsinger {155}
2x Dispell scrolls
Briarsheath
Too many points in magic and wizards can't wear armour so drop the briarsheath.
Wood Elf Noble {140}
Army Standard Bearer
Oaken Armor
Fine.
Wood Elf Noble {160}
Wild Rider Kindred
Mounted on a Great Stag
Get him some magic. The dawnspear is nice.
10x Glade Guard {120}

10x Glade Guard {120}

6x Glade Guard Scouts {102}

12x Dryads {156}
Branch Nymph

5x Glade Riders {129}
Musician

19x Eternal Guard {228}
Full Command
Core is fine except drop the nymph. With the points from that and dropping the briarsheath, add the warbanner to the eternal guard.
3x Tree Kin {195}

3x Warhawk Riders {120}

5x Wild Riders of Kurnous {130}
Full Command

6x Waywatchers {144}

1x Treeman {285}

I took out almost all unit Champs, added a waywatcher, traded in a Spellsinger for a Treeman, and Mounted the General on a Stag to go with the wild riders. Any comments or suggestions? I'm hoping to take this list for a test drive this week.
I think I would drop the treekin as finding the points to get them to 4 would be difficult. Get a unit of wardancers to replace them and use some points for some magic for the wild rider noble.

Good Luck,
SirKently

·
Registered
793 Posts
I would go as far to suggest that you take scouts OR you take waywatchers. A few of my games I've played with multiple scout-type units I didn't have many options for deployment for more than one unit.

The 2nd spellsinger wasn't a good idea, but I would have traded her for a branchwraith (lvl 1 caster) with a cluster of radiants and annoyance of netlings. this gives you one more chance for treesigning, and gives you 2 more Dispel Dice, which will come in handy for certain.

Putting the General as a wild rider was good, but I wouldn't put him on a stag. take a steed and use the points for either the spear of twilight (killing blow) or the dawnspear (-1 to hit if you wound the unit before they attack you). The stag's size makes him a pain in the butt, and he is very vulnerable to magic attacks. It can be a viable choice, but i wouldn't recomend it to a beginer.

as you can tell from the general commentary, Wood elves rarely use the command options. Champions should only be taken to accept challanges on behalf of characters they may have in the unit that you wish to protect, and rarely do we have options for much more than that.

Also, i was wondering what the rank size you would be using for the Eternal Gaurd? I've fielded them once or twice recently, and I'm starting to think that 6 or 7 across is the way to go. just something to think about when you edit your army, you can cut a few of these guys out for extra points for items or w/e

And while I would like to think treekin are a viable option, Wardancers are just strait up hardcore. They are arguably one of the best infantry units in the game, it's hard to justify leaving them at home.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I don't see any wardancers in you're army, none?!? This could word for you, but I strongly reccomend using them, they're simply one of the best units in the game. The WR character will be better of with a steed (I've tried the stag, believe, better with a steed). If I were you, I'd drop the treekin and the stag (giving a steed), the briarsheath is illegal on the spellsinger so that's a drop too. Then, I'd add a unit of 8 Wardancers (fc) and the spear of twilight for the WR character. If I'm correct then you could drop the unit of dryads to 8 without the champ and then you can add another unit 8 Dryads.
Hope this helps,
Asrai Archer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts