Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i will be joining a league of cheese (we say). There is no composition restriction. Bring all your cheese and our player also happen to like cheese, so dont expect fluffy lists. Just the hardest, baddest list. I am taking Tomb Kings for the league as my dwarfs are far from fully painted. BTW, we will be using Throne of Skulls Scenarios. Here is the list :

Tomb King, GW, Armour of Ages, Golden Ankhra, Vembraces of the Sun
Tomb Prince, Flail, Chariot, Golden Eye of Rah-nutt, Chariot of Fire
Hierophant, Cloak of Dunes, Hieratic Jar
Liche Priest, Skeleton Steed, 2 Dispel Scroll

24 Skeleton Warrior, LA, Sh, Std, Chmp
3 Chariot
3 Chariot
2 Tomb Swarm

5 Carrion
Tomb Scorpion
Tomb Scorpion
19 Tomb Guard, Std, Chmp, Banner of Undying Legion

Bone Giant
Screaming Skull Catapult

The list is made for Close Combat. I have lots of distraction unit i.e. swarm, 2 scorpions, 5 carrion so warmachine and wizard hunting shouldnt be a problem. I will try to cross the battlefield. My only fear is my low incantation dice. Eight in total might not be enough to force something in. Tomb King with a simple Great weapon is not favoured by lots of player. But, i find in the current environment, TK need high strength attacks more than ever. There is too many monsters to handle.

Bear in mind, my feared opponents will be bloodthirster 12 flamer horrors hounds daemon, dragon hydra blackguard dark elf, ghoul massive spam vampire counts, heavy magic steam tank 2 cannon Empire, Slann multiple dice spam Engine of the God temple guard Lizzardmen + several Warriors of Chaos.

BTW, here is list of models i have. Bear in mind that i wont buy another skellies models because i hear TK realease is nearby.

TK w/ gw
TK w/ hw & sh
Khalida
Liche Priest on foot
Liche Priest mounted
Liche Priest w/ Casket of Souls

33 Skellies Warrior w/ hw & sh
10 Skellies Bowmen
2 Tomb Swarms
9 Chariots (1 for TK mounted)
8 Skeleton heavy horsemen (dont ask)

3 Ushabti (i can buy 1 more)
2 Tomb Scorpions
19 Tomb Guards (i can buy 6 more)
5 Carrions

Bone Giant
2 Screaming Skull Catapult

Comments are very appreciated because i will need them to refine the list. I am not aiming for WAAC but simply good fighting chance and good games. Hindering loses at least. :D

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hi, i am by no means an expert on TK but i do think entering into a cheesy tournament you are going to need a hell of alot more dispel dice or scrolls.

oh and btw i do believe this belongs in the TK army list section :pumpkin:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ugh... dont realize this until you mentioned it up. Mods, im sorry and could you please move my thread to the army list section. thanx.

·
Registered
157 Posts
That King NEEDS DoE
you want to hit hard? Give him the DoE

and as -The-White-Lizard- said

You have 4 dispell dice, and 2 scrolls

you are seriously lacking there, and that is going to hurt.

And Drop the Bone Giant, and grab another Catapult.

Catapult is so much more useful

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which one is better? Second Catapult or Casket of Souls? Casket's -1 magic disruption might prove to be valueable. My Tomb King is there for balanced hitting and staying power. 5 Wound Tomb King with 4+ ward save is kinda hard to take down.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The Casket will help your incantations a lot, as people will save scrolls or often 3 dice to stop it. Its -1 to cast is also great for magic defence.

But a second catapult could cause panic/destruction if it does good.
its really up to you.

You could play a king like that, but a King with Collar of Shapesh, and a DoE
is the hardest hitting thing in our army, it also has good versalitily, able to take characters, and rank and file down easily

·
High Priest of LO
1,928 Posts
Which one is better? Second Catapult or Casket of Souls? Casket's -1 magic disruption might prove to be valueable. My Tomb King is there for balanced hitting and staying power. 5 Wound Tomb King with 4+ ward save is kinda hard to take down.
If you're good at using incantations, field a Casket :) If not, field a SSC...

I would not give the King GA. It's really a "normal" Ward Save which could be replaced by something typical to TK. Personally, I would suggest DoE and CoS ;)

I would field the Prince on foot. Let him stay with the Skellies. Equip him with AotA, VotS and a GW - it's a good combo for a monster-hero :p

Hierophant looks good.

I'm not a fan of Scroll Caddies, but... I would suggest that (if you have decided to field a Casket) you put this one on the Casket. Give him one Scroll and an item (could be Enkhil's Kanopi if you're facing many Ogres, hehe).

Skellie Warriors usually don't do their points. Skellie Spearmen neither. What I could recommend here, even though your army is built for combat, is that you swap these guys' Shields for Bows.

Increase the Chariot units to 4 each for greater hitting power and lesser rik of having them dead before combat :)

Tomb Swarms, Carrions, Scorpions and SSC - good!

Tomb Guards - If you're able to afford more (like 24 or something) it would be great! The true power on this spot is to outnumber your enemy, so make sure you take advantage of it :sinister: Personally, I like IoR with TGs more than BotUL which is (according to me) made for the big block of Bowmen :p

Hope it helps!

//Nagash

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
did playtest the list yesterday against troll army of doom. Kholek, Throgg, 2 disc sorcerer, 2x4 Troll unit, 5 nurgle knights, 5 slaneesh horsemen, Shaggoth. The trolls regenerated a lot of wounds and stacked a lot of EotG effects. Lost badly. I am thinking a casket could complement the army better than the bone giant.

So new list.

TK, DoE, CoS
TP, chariot, GEoR, CoF
LP, CoD, HJ
LP, Casket, 2 dispel scroll

23 Skel warriors, sh, std, chmp, BotUL
3 chariot
3 chariot
2 tomb swarm

2 tomb scorpion
5 carrion
22 Tomb Guard, chmp, std, IoR

SSC

@Nagash : I only have 10 bowmen and wont buy and paint them in the short time. I will try to test Tomb King and Tomb Prince on foot with GWs later. I will see if the current setting does anygood. What do you think of the list now?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How about some cheap king with GW and Golden ankhra + Tomb Prince with GW, CoS, BotGD + take out one dispel scroll of the casket priest. This will save some points for buffing current unit. Thoughts anyone?

·
High Priest of LO
1,928 Posts
@Nagash : I only have 10 bowmen and wont buy and paint them in the short time. I will try to test Tomb King and Tomb Prince on foot with GWs later. I will see if the current setting does anygood. What do you think of the list now?
Definitely better! :D What about just doing a fast switch of arms on your Skellies? :p An idea could be to erase one of the Swarms (so it's one model only) just to afford a fourth Chariot in the unit that's not joined by the Prince.

//Nagash, He who walks the Dunes...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another list to dsicuss. How about this :

Tomb King, Destroyer of Eternities, Collar of Shapesh
Tomb Prince, Chariot, Great Weapon, Chariot of Fire
Liche Priest, Cloak of Dunes, Hieratic Jar
Liche Priest, mounted, 2 Dispel Scroll

25 Skeleton Warriors, Std, chmp, Banner of the Undying Legion
5 Skeleton Chariots, Std, Warbanner
2 Tomb Swarm

5 Carrions
2 Tomb Scorpion
22 Tomb Guard, Full Command, Icon of Rakaph

2 Screaming Skull Catapult, Skulls of the Foe

I have like 30pts more to spend. Anything good to fill the point gaps? which list is better, current or before? Thanx.

·
i am da Wahhchief
2,419 Posts
hmmm.. im thinking more than half of the cheeselists will be immune to panic. your ssc can be nice, but i dont think it will be cheesy enough.
I also think a casket will be a must because of the high amount of magic.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Latest incarnation of my cheesy league list :

Tomb King, Destroyer of Eternities, Collar of Shapesh
Tomb Prince, Chariot, Chariot of Fire, Sword of Might, Shield, Light Armor
Hierophant, Skeletal Steed, Hieratic Jar, Dispel Scroll
Liche Priest, Casket of Souls, 2 Dispel Scroll

10 Skeleton Bowmen
5 Chariot, Standard, Warbanner
2 Tomb Swarm

Tomb Scorpion
Tomb Scorpion
4 Ushabti
22 Tomb Guard, Standard, Champion, Icon of Rakaph

Screaming Skull Catapult, Skulls of the Foe

One by one unit roles :

Hierophant - Skeletal steed ? why not cloak of dunes ? simple, i need the points for the third dispel scroll and i can not commit hieratic jar. Even with cloak of dunes, my hierophant is dead in most of the playtest games. Why? because i need to push incantation to go off in 12" range. When i did, hierophant is dead next turn so i think why cloak of dunes? in the current metagame of VC, daemons, lizzies, dark elfs, i need to rely on magic even more. And the third scroll is crucial to my limited four dispel dices.

Liche Priest with Casket of Souls - There is too many magic heavy armies out there. -1 to cast proved to be useful. At least for the lizzies. It has stopped several spells off. Casket is hit or miss. sometimes, when i rolled high, i killed 5 dragon princes (yes that is double sixes), almost killed two stegadons. But in other times when it goes off, it did nothing. LOL.

King with Tomb Guard - This is the hardest anvil i have along with the heaviest hammer in my army. I has killed several stegadons, carnosaur and more in playtests. Most of the time, people will just avoid this unit unless they have really hard hitters such as chaos knights. Most of the time, hierophant will join this unit too.

Prince with big Chariots unit - One, Look out sir. Two, i need to break the enemy in one hit. TK chariots too fragile to take any counter charge. That is why the big unit of chariot. It should autobreak any Rank and File units. To complement the role, Chariot of Fire for added damage and standard + warbanner to add more CRs to the unit. In the first two turns, this unit is just an overpriced bowmens. LOL.

Skeleton Bowmen - Core filler and skirmisher pings.

2 Tomb Swarms - Sometimes become casket and catapult bodyguard. But when i needed to take out artilleries or archers, they will do the job just fine.

2 Tomb Scorpions - Do i really need to explain this? LOL

4 Ushabti - Overpriced ? Yes. Fragile? Yes. But this unit is the only Tomb Kings option to high strength attacks. Not that i like them very much, but dragons, stegadons, bloodthirster is in the field. When catapult missed, it is up to them to finish the job. Or at least wound / tarpit them.

Screaming Skull Catapult - well another hit or miss weapon. It has killed vampire lords on zombie dragon, panicked spearmen with lv 4 wizard off the board in the first turn, but failed to do anything in my playtest games despite a lock on guess.

Anybody interested on how this army fares against more powerful armies out there? I can do battle reports if there is several interests. But, i want feedback if i do them so my efforts is not in vain. LMK, Thanx. :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
Battle reports are always good to read ..
With pics even better...

And good battle reports do always get good feedback in return .. ;)

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I'd recommend the casket. The catapult kicks some serious butt, but you'll be seeing a lot of ITP enemies, so it'll be somewhat nerfed. IF you had a HLP and/or 3 priests total, I'd say two catapults, but with a TK and only two priests, you NEED the -1 to enemy casting, and you NEED the enemy to save DD and scrolls for the light of death.

Also, I'm not sure the prince is important and expensive enough to need the eye's protection. I'd drop it and maybe take the spear of antharak instead...regenerating chariots without using an incantation is money...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@Marnepup : I dont think that you are commenting my latest post, but the initial one. The list has been fixed to the one listed three post above. Thanx for the comment though.

@Magicarnold : Yes, the batreps will be complemented with pictures.

·
Registered
146 Posts
swarms don't count towards core, so I think you need one more.

Figure I'd throw that out there before you hit a tournament. That wouldn't be fun XD.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@Mumm-Ra : I have just taken a peek at my army book and i found nothing that states tomb swarm does not count as minimum core requirement. The book states that the swarm is a 0-1 choice. So my list is legal.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts