Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Acting XO of Tanith 1st
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've already tried this once against an Ork army and I won 9Kp to 6Kp despite the leman russ squadron and the demolisher blowing up first turn. forgot deff koptas could scout. I also had Pask in a standard Leman Russ but I'm going to put him into a Vanquisher now.

Gaunt (commissar Lord w/power sword, camo)
-90-

Command Squad
Varl (Straken), Medic, camo, regimental standard, heavy flamer
bodyguard, astropath
-275-
Chimera
heavy bolter, heavy bolter, heavy stubber
-65-

Elites

MKoll (Mabro)

Troops

Veterans
3x snipers, autocannon, Forward Sentries
-125-

Veterans
-125-

Veterans
3x meltas, Harker, demolitions
-185-
Chimera
multi laser, heavy bolter
-55-

Veterans
2x plasma, heavy flamer, Forward Sentries
-150-
Chimera
multi laser, heavy bolter, heavy stubber
-65-

Scratch Company
Platoon Command
Soric (Al'Rahem), 2x melta
2xsquads w2 flamers, 2 autocannons
Commissar w/melta bombs
-290-

Fast Attack

Hell Hound

Scout Sentinels
x2 w/autocannons
-80-

Heavy Support

Grace of Throne
Vanquisher w/Pask, Lascannon, heavy bolters
-240-

Leman Russ Squadron
2x Leman Russ, heavy bolter, heavy bolter sponsons
-340-

Leman Russ Demolisher
Lascannon, plasmacannon sponsons
-220-

·
Registered
186 Posts
hi, like the theme lol

im only a noob at the new guard so dont take my word as gospel lol,

First thing, is id bin the commisar from the scratch co, unless the commisar is goin to be ludd (think he is in that book).

Il assume that you are keeping your command squad on the move as to keep gaunt in character he leads from the front, other wise bin the lord and use the normal rules for a commander with a few tweaks to resemble corbec and his charsma (maybe sargent bastonnes special orders) you could use a model that you have scratch built or summat, if you usecorbec keep them static and equip them with a lascannon and dump the medic as you shouldnt be needing the feel no pain but keep the camo.

If you go with corbec then you could use the commisar with the scratch co as gaunt (from the old codex etc) and class him as not taking up any slots on the org chart.

If you ever thought about using bragg you could model him on an orgrin and use similar rules, except that he can be armed with heavy bolters-missle-stubber etc. With that you could have a speacial rule called 'try again bragg' and class those weapons as twin linked as he usually has to shoot twice to get a kill.

Those are just some random ideas lol, the list on a whole does look the part.

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
I thought Bragg died before vurvenhive? Eh it's been ages since i read the books. Anyway I think Harker is there to represent Bragg???

Thats an awesome Idea for Mkoll. WHY didn't i think of that?

To be honest mate theres only really a few tweaks with the list.
-I'd swap the Chimeras to Multilaser/Heavy flamers for a good all rounder. You can't fire both ranged weapons on the move anyway so you might as well. Unless of course you intend sitting still in that Chimera?
-I'd loose the lascannon on the Demolisher and probably the plasma cannons too. It's only got a 24" range so will be trundling towards it's targets so wont be able to fire all those scrumptous and expensive weapons. Keep him cheap. You can always kit out the other two russes with the plasma as they've got the range to sit back and blat stuff.
-Pasks Leman Russ. If this is your tank killer theres no much need in those Heavy Bolters is there? Loose them and spend the points on other cool stuff. (If you swap the demolishers plasma onto a russ you'd have enough points to equip both of them out with plasma death.)

Other than that mate, your list covers as much as the fluff will let it cover. I like it!

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Nope Bragg was still there during the battle of Vervunhive. Back then it was only the native tanith in the regiment. Now if I remember correctly there were very few commissars in Vervunhive, so having one lead an unofficicial regiment (the scratch comp) would be very unlikely.

Now with Varl being Stracken, i just don't see it. Different weapons, Varl only had a bionic arm. See if you can figure out something for Rawne or Corbec. Now with your vets, they should all have camo cloaks. They're the Tanith its practically trademarked.

So basically all of my criticism thus far has been regarding fluff, now onto the list itself.

Looks alright, i personally don't like commissars but if you dropped the one from the infnantry platoon you could give your other vet squad forward sentries.

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Got to agree with Kevin. Straken is a bit to nails to be Varl. Varl is just a sergeant after all. Technically you dont need a Company command as you've got Guant. So you can do without. If you want to though thats up to you. You can quite easily have a bare bones Command squad as Rawne or Corbec.

Bragg was killed by a that git from Vervunhive........ So how could he be dead AT Vervunhive?

Sometimes I impress myself.

·
Acting XO of Tanith 1st
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I've just been using Varl as Straken to represent the bionic arm and his furious charge ability I usually kinda pass it off as Gaunt's as Gaunt is always in the squad too, although I have been debating on getting rid of him and using a commander with a bolter as corbec (with a lasgun, he's just that good with it) but I've used Straken to great effect so far, he's allowed my guard to best space wolves in combat!

The Harker vet squad already comes with stealth so forward sentries is redundant, instead I just put in demolitions.

The Commissar in the scratch company isn't going to represent an actual commissar but rather Kolea or some militia captain with mining charges. I just figured stubborn would work with the scratch company since they're down to their last chance defending their city

Ok after play testing the list here's what I've come up with:

Gaunt (commissar Lord w/power sword, camo)
-90-

Command Squad
Varl (Straken), Medic, camo, regimental standard, flamer
bodyguard, astropath
-260-
Chimera
heavy bolter, heavy bolter, heavy stubber
-65-

Elites

MKoll (Marbo)

Troops

Veterans
-125-

Veterans
-125-

Veterans
2x meltas, Heavy flamer, Harker, demolitions
-195-
Chimera
multi laser, heavy bolter
-55-

Veterans
2x plasma, heavy flamer, Forward Sentries
-150-
Chimera
multi laser, heavy bolter, heavy stubber
-65-

Scratch Company
Platoon Command
Soric (Al'Rahem), 2x melta
2xsquads w2 flamers, 2 autocannons
Commissar w/melta bombs
-290-

Fast Attack

Hell Hound

Devil Dog

Scout Sentinels x2 w/autocannons
-80-

Heavy Support

Grace of Throne
Vanquisher w/Pask, Lascannon
-220-

Leman Russ Squadron
2x Leman Russ, heavy bolter
-300-

Leman Russ Demolisher
heavy bolter
-165-

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
See if you can get those russes some sponson weapons, the Vanquisher would really benefit from say 2 multi meltas. The demo could use just about any sponson wep, even the heavy flamers. This could mean losing the advisors and 5pts somewhere else if you go with the Vanq meltas and demo bolters/flamers.

Also kinda off topic here but, in Necropolis (my favorite GG book and the one your list is themed around) it was the North Col armour the Tanith were fighting with right? Or was it the Narmarian? I think it was North Col in this book and Narmarian tanks were in Honour Guard but i'm not quite sure.

·
Acting XO of Tanith 1st
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe it was NorthCol light tanks and Narmanian Russ's but the light tanks could have been just the Vervun primary tanks.

I dropped all the sponsons on the russ's mainly because I do not have enough infantry to screen them from assaults so they usually die within the 1st 2 turns, yet I've still managed to win those games with the remainder of my army pouncing on those who go for the russ's. That's why I've made them cheaper, because so far I've never been able to use the sponsons but the russ's themselves act as a huge "kill me! i'm important!" sign to the enemy.

·
Registered
223 Posts
It was northcol and narmenians in Necropolis. Honour Guard had the pardus who used mostly conquerers from the looks of it except for the 2 tank hunters and 1 executioner. Would be kinda cool if you could put an inquistor with a vindacare assasin in to represent larkin since he is that good. But oh well. Id maybe drop the devildog for some ML heavy teams since they really didnt have that kind of tank when the book was written. I know its not as good as MM on av 14 but if you going for fluff you do need 'tread fethers'. other then that not bad.

·
Acting XO of Tanith 1st
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok after being massacred by Abbadon and his chaos space marine foot slogging horde I changed my list around a bit

Gaunt
-90-

Company Command
Varl (Straken), medic, regiment standard, camo cloaks, flamer
bodyguard, astropath
-260-
Chimera
heavy flamer, heavy stubber
-65-

MKoll (Marbo)

Veterans
3x plasma, missile launcher