Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
threw this list on warseer a while back and seeing as theres some posts appearing here now thought id transport it over.

*****Hey all, so reading through the book (and totally loving it i must say) it got me wanting to go for the chaos dwarfs once iv got my WoC to a suitable point. Theyve got some cool sounding stuff and its hard to pick a direction (as they tend to be really expensive points wise) but iv got this list and wondered what anyone whose got the book thought.

Sorcerer-Prophet
level 4 (Hashut)
pistol
the mask of the furnace (talisman of preservation+dragon helm+fear combined in one item)

Daemonsmith Sorcerer
level 2 (Metal)
pistol
talisman of preservation

Infernal Castellan
bsb
armour of destiny
enchanted shield
fireglaive (halberd with handgun shooting) (thinking of swapping this for something one handed)

20 Infernal Guard (bsb here)
fireglaives
musc+stan
banner of slavery (goblins nearby ITP)

39 hobgoblin cutthroats (level 4 here)
shields
bows
musc+stan

39 hobgoblin cutthroats (level 2 here)
shields
bows
command

6 Bull Centaurs
shields
spears
musc+stan

iron daemon war engine (a train, uber chariot esque multi shot cannon armed death)
hellbound (increases toughness and wounds of machine as well as offensive bonuses)

Dreadquake mortar (kinda hell cannon shot with some extra funky rules)
slave ogre (enables guaranteed firing every turn)
steam carriage (can be towed by train and grants defensive bonuses)
hellbound

total 2498

so obviously not everyone has the book so ill try and explain the basic ideas behind the units.

the sorcerers have funky magic weapons, the lord versions roll on a table and the results are all good, half are close combat bonuses, one breath weapon and 2 are spell related. the level 2 is just a sword of might. all characters in this list have a 4++ and a min of 4+ armour. they join the units as noted already and the level 2 gets a champ to help cover him from too nasty challenges.

the dwarf block goes in the middle and is flanked by the goblin blocks flanked either side by the warmachines and the centaurs go where ever the threat is greatest. these guys seem to rock, 2+ saves and decent stats they should provide a decent hammer for my "gun" line.

the warmachines being near to the sorcerers allows them to re roll one of their dice per turn like engineers (i think) and the dwarfs are stubborn due to the castellan.

so yeah a gun/bow line with some hammers in the centaurs, dwarfs and daemon train.

anyway if youve read the book or can get enough from my explanations then id welcome your thoughts. ******

·
LO's unofficial Jester
2,900 Posts
Personally I would think about trying to include a Magma Cannon in there. They are totally sick for what the can do.

With regard to the steam carriages does the iron Deamon block the line of sight of the Mortar if so it might be better to take off the steam carriage. Don't get me wrong who doesn't want a deamonically possessed Gun train? So you could keep it because of Rule of Cool.

I have heard reports that Hobgoblins fare pretty badly, though I have been thinking of running them in blocks of 50 so I would be interested to know what they do.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personally I would think about trying to include a Magma Cannon in there. They are totally sick for what the can do.

With regard to the steam carriages does the iron Deamon block the line of sight of the Mortar if so it might be better to take off the steam carriage. Don't get me wrong who doesn't want a deamonically possessed Gun train? So you could keep it because of Rule of Cool.

I have heard reports that Hobgoblins fare pretty badly, though I have been thinking of running them in blocks of 50 so I would be interested to know what they do.
yeah the magma cannon does look cool, but so does all the stuff in special and rare, spent along time trying to work out which ones to take and what with the high cost of dwarfs and others i couldnt get em all in. i guess i took the train to act as my hammer unit of the opposite flank to the centaurs, it wont be deployed near the mortar.

the carrige adds defensive bonuses to the crew, meaning that to take it out will require better than trash what with its hardy crew etc but its certainly something thats up in the air untill purchase.

yeah the goblins dont look uber but they are cheap and with bows and the immune to panic banner on the central dwarf unit they should hold up long enough for the hammers and dwarves to grind down their targets and come and save them.

i think anyway heh

·
Organised Chaos
1,233 Posts
Only just got the book this xmas so sorry if this seems like a late reply to your list.

The main thing, if i have read it correctly, is that the Chaos dwarf characters cannot join the hobgoblins because they have the Contempt specail rule, and the hobgoblins dont.

Im not sure if the benifit of havng the mortar pulled by the iron daemon is worth it. It does have alot of benifits and can be unhitched when you want, but you cant fire the mortar if the engine has moved that turn, and for me you want the morta firing for best effect in turns 1-3. Unless you intend to sit a couple of tuns, or unhitch right away, in witch case the engine can move but the mortar will still count as moving so once again cannot fire. So if you choose not to not even bother having the mortar pulled along by the engine, your paying for the deffensive bonuses you get from the carriage.

Personaly i would rather go for 2 Deathshrieker Rocket Launchers. Basicaly our cannon/Mortar all in one, useful for both monsters and infantry.

For its pure damage i would also go for the Magma Cannon. With a total range of 42" (24"+artillary max of 10+ template length of 8 ) plus however far you set up on the board, its ideal for taking out hordes and elite units alike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts