Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my list, I have no models yet so any and all advice can be used. I intend to build a list and create this army for competitive play. Here is what I have come up with.. This list is exactly 2500 points.

HQ = Tyrant - 2 TL Devourers, HC
1 Tyrant Guard

Tyrant - Scything talons (2 sets)
1 Tyrant Guard

Elites = 3x Zanthropes
Mycetic Spore - SS

3x Hive Guard

Troops = 3x Warriors - 1 VC, 2 Devourers
3x Warriors - Scything talons
20x Genestealers
20x Termagants
20x Hormagants
Tervigon - Scything talons, Catalyst

Heavy = 2x Trygon Prime
1x Carnifex
Mycetic Spore - SS

I figured I can DS with all the Heavy Support, and Zanthropes. Outflank with Genestealers. My guants, warriors, and tyrants will come in for left-overs. I am a little in-experienced so if this idea isn't good please give advice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
got to say love the list only thing i would do is scrap one of the trygon primes to give both h/tyrants armour plating and get two lictors to assist with the deep striking and with the 30 points left give remaining trygon prime adrenal glands toxic sacs and regeneration hope this helps

scotta 29

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
With respect scotta29 thats a really bad idea. For a start taking lictors would serve little to no purpose in the list, they have to be on the table first to take benefit of the non-scatter and using them for a reserves bonus jus doesnt work for the same reason. Secondly putting those upgrades on the remaining prime is a terrible idea for so many reasons, taking toxin sacs decreases you chance to wound T4 and on the change T5 units (86% from wounding on 2's 75% for wounding on 4's with a re-roll) ontop of that adding those upgrades makes the Trygon a bigger target meaning its quite likley to get killed a lot faster. The Tyrants really dont need a 2+ save either, theyve both got guard so its incredibly easy to claim a cover save.

The main problem is no-where near enough anti-tank. at 2500 only having 3 thropes and 3 hive guard to bust tanks at range just wont do enough. You need another 3 hive guard, minimum.

Then theres some general tweaking to the list, for a start 20 genestealers is massivly overkill. Split them into 2 units of 10, and try and get a broodlord in each.

Your hormaguants need toxin sacs, and 20 termaguants is a bit pointless, because you lack the ability to make them dangerous via the tevigon (which really doesnt work in your list.) If you want them to claim objectives, take 10, if you want to use them with the terivgon, give it adrenal glands and toxin sacs, and bulk them up to 30. Either way, drop the scyting tallons, it doesnt.

However i really dont think the tervigon fits the list, those points could be used for a harpy or some other form of anti-tank.

As a general peice of advice, take wings on the cc tyrant, or if your going to keep it walking, give him 2 weapons (HVC and devourer perhaps?) and old adversary.

To get those points, drop the carnifex for the hive guard and a couple of upgrades elsewhere... and then i would siriously recogmend either a tyrannofex or harpy for ranged firepower, of the two i think the T-fex fits your list a lot better. Drop the tervigon and whatever else you have to to afforad the points, the warriors would be my bet.

Hope that helps you

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The main problem is no-where near enough anti-tank. at 2500 only having 3 thropes and 3 hive guard to bust tanks at range just wont do enough. You need another 3 hive guard, minimum.

Then theres some general tweaking to the list, for a start 20 genestealers is massivly overkill. Split them into 2 units of 10, and try and get a broodlord in each.

Your hormaguants need toxin sacs, and 20 termaguants is a bit pointless, because you lack the ability to make them dangerous via the tevigon (which really doesnt work in your list.) If you want them to claim objectives, take 10, if you want to use them with the terivgon, give it adrenal glands and toxin sacs, and bulk them up to 30. Either way, drop the scyting tallons, it doesnt.

However i really dont think the tervigon fits the list, those points could be used for a harpy or some other form of anti-tank.

As a general peice of advice, take wings on the cc tyrant, or if your going to keep it walking, give him 2 weapons (HVC and devourer perhaps?) and old adversary.

To get those points, drop the carnifex for the hive guard and a couple of upgrades elsewhere... and then i would siriously recogmend either a tyrannofex or harpy for ranged firepower, of the two i think the T-fex fits your list a lot better. Drop the tervigon and whatever else you have to to afforad the points, the warriors would be my bet.

Hope that helps you
Thanks for advice.

I have 7 Monstrous Creatures. Any of them can run up to a tank and bust it up. On top of that I have the Hive Guard and the Zanthropes.
Now for the stealers. How is that overkill? They are my best troop other than the Warriors. Splitting them into two squads of 10 might make sense but taking two Broodlords which would end up costing 92pts is nowhere near worth the points.
Now as for the guants I know the Termaguants aren't great but they are only 5pts! I am going to have so many thinks deep-striking they should have plenty of time getting to the action and doing a little damage or causing distraction. The Tervigon I have never played with so maybe he isn't as good as he seems but lets be real... he SPITS out more TROOPS as the game is played. I would not waste points on toxin sacs for him cause the guants have to be within 6" to get the bonus. Now the Hormaguants.. you are saying I should add 40 points to give them toxin sacs. Is that really worth it considering they are a 6+ armor save troop. I mean I can outflank with them using my HC on the one Tyrant and they will get to re-roll any 1's in CC. I feel like that is pretty good.
Now you want more ranged anti-tank. So I was thinking I could drop the Tervigon and add a Harpy since they cost the same points. This would leave me with 15pts from the Catalyst on my Tervigon. So I can drop 2 Termaguants which gives me 25pts. Now instead of giving wings to the CC-Tyrant I figured I could give him a Heavy Venom Cannon which would also add to the ranged anti-tank issue.

Basically = -1 Tervigon w/ Catalyst
+1 Harpy
+ Heavy Venom Cannon to Tyrant that had 2 sets of talons.
Since freeing up a troop choice - split genestealers into 2 squads of 10

What do you think?

·
Hive Fleet Pandora
5,068 Posts
Heirodule brings up some good points. Something you're missing here is redundancy. At lower points, it's harder to have good redundancy, but at 2.5K you really have to have some. You already have a lot of assault-oriented units. You need to beef up on your ranged AT. I definitely agree with Heirodule's assessment of another unit of 3 hive guards. They are the best ranged AT in the Tyranid army and quite durable also. Try to get 2 squads of 3 hive guards.

I'd give both the Tyrants either TL-D+HVC or just 2 TL-D's each. The cc-walkrant is just too slow, especially considering that there's going to be a lot of units in front of it.

The reason for 2x10 genestealers instead of 20 is 1) redundancy, 2) less of a threat so will not warrant as much shooting and 3) you screw with your opponent's deployment with 2 outflanking units. If you have enough troop slots, I'd go for 2 units. If not, then you'd just have to settle for 1 big unit.

Keep the termagant squad to the minimum of 10 as a screen unit/objective sitter. Otherwise, make it a big squad and give your tervigon adrenal glands and toxin sacs. As they are right now, they're kind of in limbo. Not a very optimal unit.

The tervigon is good. Every army should have at least 1. Get rid of talons and give him catalyst + toxin sacs.

Hormagants are better with some type of upgrade. Most like toxin sacs. I like adrenal glands so that they can damage vehicles.

Shooty warriors are talons/devourers/venom cannon. CC-warriors should be talons/rending claws. Consider getting your cc-warriors a mycetic spore.

I find the Trygon Prime to not be worth it. Better to cut cost and downgrade to just regular trygons.

-------------------------------------------

Your existing list has better potential as a all-reserves list. Replace one of the hive tyrants with the Swarmlord, give your other tyrant wings instead of a tyrant guard, replace your hive guards with ymgarl genes, your shooty warriors with cc-warriors and add a couple more mycetic spores and it's a downright scary army. Also swap out the carnifex for another trygon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok here is what is looks like taking your advice... I have a few points extra where I had added the fex's spore twice when figuring the total so that helped me when changing it. This is exactly 2500.

HQ = Tyrant - 1 TL Devourer, HVC, Hive Commander
1 Tyrant Guard

Tyrant - 1 TL Devourer
1 Tyrant Guard

Elites = 3x Zanthropes
Mycetic Spore - SS

3x Hive Guard
2x Hive Guard

Troops = 3x Warriors - 1 VC, 2 Devourers
3x Warriors - Rending Claws
20x Genestealers
10x Termagaunts
20x Hormagaunts - Toxin sacs
Tervigon - Toxin sacs, Catalyst

Heavy = 2x Trygon
1x Carnifex
Mycetic Spore - SS

Now as far as splitting the Genestealers up this is my dilemma. I can either leave it the way it is. Or I can combine the 2 Warrior squads (instead of Rending Claws they will have Devourers; cost is same), and split up the Genestealers.
Combining the 2 Warrior squads would allow them to be fine and I will use Hive Commander on my hormagaunts and outflank/infiltrate with my both squads of genestealers.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Much better as a list and theres only one tiny tweak id make with it.

Rather than split the stealers, reduce their numbers a bit and get yourself 75 points. Then purchase a 3rd Hive guard and a second set of devourers on the Tyrant. Your stealers will still be just as good, and your hive guard and tyrant are greatly improved.

Possibly consider swapping the carnifex for a Trygon. The points are the same, the trygon can deep strike anyway, has more attacks, more wounds and a shooting attack to boot. The only reason id really take the fex is if your worried about LR's, but youve got the zoans for that.... your call really.

But appart from that, good list and good luck :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Taking what you said into consideration I would do something like this...
-5 Stealers (70pts)

+1 Hive Guard (50 pts)
+ 1 TL Devour to the 1 HT (15pts)
-Now with the extra 5 points I could either add the Scything talons back to the Tervigon or add another Termagaunt.

I have already purchased one of the older battle-forces that had the Fex in it so I will probably stick with it for now but you make a good point that it costs the same. It would actually give me 10 more points cause the SS on the Mycetic spore is another 10. At the same time you could say the Fex/spore combo might be better just cause it adds to the # of units/things the enemy has to worry about.

Thanks for all the advice from both..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts