full command

8 Dragon Princes
full command
lion standard

16 Swordmasters
full command
banner of sorcery

3 Bolt throwers

Well, I'm pretty new at this, so don't hesitate to fire away!

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Your unit sizes are really bad, that is a very common mistake though given the amount of models GW give in the boxes.

Archers aren't worth taking in units of any greater than 10 models, and don't upgrade them at all. Its not worth it, if they see combat they'll die anyway.

Spearmen, yeah they work at 16. A lot of people use 20 in a unit, I'm not sure which is the best yet. I haven't tried 16 for ages.

Silver helms, 8 is the worst unit size for cavalry. You are using a whole extra rank and if only one model dies you lose the bonus. The models in the back rank are effectively wasted. Either make the unit 5 or 6 models if you want small units, or up them to 10.

Same goes for dragon princes. Also, I would suggest switching the banner for the banner of sorcery since you seem to have gone fairly magic heavy.

Woops, you've already got it on the SM. I prefer it on princes, up to you though. Consider dropping them to 15 models, 3 ranks of 5.

Drop a bolt thrower for 2 eagles. They are invaluable when used well.

The main problems I see with this list is it sems you've just gone for the most common and powerful looking things, Elven armies (especially HE) can't rely on brute strength to win at all. We are very fragile. HE are not an easy army to use either. You need to take things like reavers and eagles and outflank and outmanouvre your opponent, everything in the HE army needs to be used together as a whole because individually they don't really work.

·
Now 17% more helpful
2,431 Posts
I agree with pretty much everything Strewart has said.

If you where to do the following:

1) Drop one swordmaster
2) Drop one bolt thrower
3) Drop 6 archers and the command

You would have the points to do the following:

a) get one more Dragon Prince (I assume the commander is going in there)
b) get 2 more silver helms
c) add the seer honour to your archmage
d) add the jewel of dusk to one of your lv2 mages
e) get 2 great eagles

I hope this helps :ninja:

·
Now 17% more helpful
2,431 Posts
I would suggest that you use the silver helms. I find them much more effective in the damage area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.